autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Thinking of wet sanding my whole car - advice wanted

Thinking of wet sanding my whole car - advice wanted

Hey all,

Bit of a noobie to detailing so will give you a bit of background on what I am trying to do...

I have a DAS6 Pro DA Polisher, and have correct the paintwork on one of my car's by just using some polish to remove swirl marks and very minor paint defects. I was extremely happy with the results.

Now I have a second car, the paint work and body is very average, lots of swirls and scratches. Polishing alone seems to not remove all the swirls. I have in small patches began to wet sand scratches and defects by wet sanding with 2000 grit then polishing with my DA. It removes the defect and the scratches created by the 2000 grit.

I am thinking of wet sanding the whole car to get a decent looking finish on the paint work, is this a common thing to do?

From the results I have gotten in the small sections I have worked, If the whole car looked this way I would be satisfied

I am thinking of ordering some sanding discs to use with my DA to aid with the sanding, is this a viable option? Or should it all be done by hand?

Looking for some advice/tips on what I should do to correct the paint. Will post up some pics tomorrow!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Thinking of wet sanding my whole car - advice wanted

Yeah, I don't know what your Australian paint is like, but don't sand the whole car, you're asking for trouble.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Yeah, I don't know what your Australian paint is like, but don't sand the whole car, you're asking for trouble.
    +1

Post Thanks / Like

Wet sanding & polishing out an entire car is a lot of work. I'd get some 3000 discs if I were you. I wouldn't tackle that job without a rotary and wool pad. Is it factory paint? If so, be very careful. Some factory clear coats are extremely thin.

I'd suggest you try a small area first to see what you're getting into. If you do sand with a da, make sure you clean the disc A LOT. If you get a piece of dirt in there you will get pig tails and they can be a nightmare to deal with.

Some paints polish out like butter. Others are so hard its almost impossible to remove the sanding marks. I worked in a body shop and our paint was always extremely hard unless you caught it at just the right time. There are a lot of factors that go into what you are about to do. If you work smart and clean, the results can be stunning

Post Thanks / Like

Well, Its the factory paint off a 2001 holden VX Commodore.

I know its alot of work, but I will be on holiday's from work soon and looking for a small project.

I have started sanding out small scratches and the results have been good, gets most of them out as I am not going deep at all. Just enough to remove the defect.

I don't have a rotary unfortunately, is it worth to buy a cheap one? As budget is pretty tight.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Any particular reason why I would be asking for trouble?

The fact I might sand too far is the only cause for concern?

I am looking at getting more and more into panel beating/detailing/spraying ect and this car is my second car (daily). I am not super fussed about how it turns out, more wanting to learn then anything....that said I don't want to ruin it if i can avoid it

Post Thanks / Like
    I've done it on plenty of cars with great results. If the car does not have orange peel I would go with 3000 and do it by hand using a block. It's time consuming, but if you did not apply the paint and don't have a feel for the thickness it's much safer.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Booki View Post
    Well, Its the factory paint off a 2001 holden VX Commodore.

I have started sanding out small scratches and the results have been good, gets most of them out
    as I am not going deep at all. Just enough to remove the defect.
    IMO:
    If you must wet-sand factory CC:
    Now would be a good time to practice using an: Electronic Paint Thickness Gauge (EPTG)...
    to more accurately measure how deep you are going...in order to remove defects.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Isn't 3000 grit the same as just applying a polish? Same sort of abrasiveness?

Pretty sure there is orange peel, most factory paints I have seen have a small amount of orange peel and are rarely flat finish's.

Post Thanks / Like

And whats a cheap paint thickness gauge worth?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast