autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hand Sanding vs. Machine Sanding

Can someone explain the difference between hand sanding and machine sanding? I've heard that you use machine sanding for coarser grits and hand sanding for finer grit. I've also been told the exact opposite, you hand sand with coarse grits and machine sand with finer grits.

Secondly, what's the difference between wet and dry sanding? I've been told wet sanding just makes your paper last longer.

Finally, if I want to take out orange peel, how high a grit do I finish with? I've been told anywhere from 2000 to 5000 and I'm frustrated with the inconsistent answers I'm getting.

Post Thanks / Like
    "Chrome wheeled, fuel injected and steppin' out over the line"

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hand Sanding vs. Machine Sanding

Finally, if I want to take out orange peel, how high a grit do I finish with? I've been told anywhere from 2000 to 5000 and I'm frustrated with the inconsistent answers I'm getting.
    The higher grit you finish with, the easier it is to remove the sanding marks. Here's a thread from Mike Phillips that even includes a video:

Wow! 3M #5000 Grit Polishing I mean Sanding Discs!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    Video: Wow! 3M #5000 Grit Polishing I mean Sanding Discs!

Did some comparison testing between,

#1500 Grit Sanding Discs - Meguiar's
    #1500 Foam Backed Finishing Discs - Meguiar's
    #3000 Foam Backed Finishing Discs - Meguiar's
    #5000 Foam Backed Finishing Discs - 3M
    I'll let the pictures do the talking...

From left to right...

#1500 Grit Sanding Disc, #1500 Foam Backed Finishing Disc, #3000 Foam Backed Finishing Disc and #5000 Foam Backed Finishing Disc

Ray@AutoGeek.net
    800-869-3011 x245

Post Thanks / Like

It's been a while since I've posted anything. Last summer was just way too hot to do any cars and this spring has been really nice so, I've been buffing again.

I have a sanding question. I've been doing lots of headlight restorations with the Griot's 3" buffer and Unigrit sanding discs. My neighbors car got keyed on the passengers rear side. Pretty long scratches. I wonder if the Griot's 3" buffer and 3000 Unigrit discs would take those scratches out, or almost take them out. It's a black car and the scratches are white.

After sanding I would follow up with my 3401, Cyan pad and Black Fire SCR. Any advice on this would certainly be appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

The GG3 with the 3000 discs would be a great place to start. Do you have the foam interface pad for use inbetween the bp and sanding disc.

Also do you have a PTG?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by skipper1 View Post
    It's been a while since I've posted anything. Last summer was just way too hot to do any cars and this spring has been really nice so, I've been buffing again.

I have a sanding question. I've been doing lots of headlight restorations with the Griot's 3" buffer and Unigrit sanding discs. My neighbors car got keyed on the passengers rear side. Pretty long scratches. I wonder if the Griot's 3" buffer and 3000 Unigrit discs would take those scratches out, or almost take them out. It's a black car and the scratches are white.

After sanding I would follow up with my 3401, Cyan pad and Black Fire SCR. Any advice on this would certainly be appreciated.
    Can you feel the scratch with your finger nail? If so, you will need to use touch up paint as a filler.

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, got the foam interface. Sorry, I don't know what PTG is.

Can my fingernail grab the scratch? You bet, I don't think I can get the scratches completely out but I feel I can do some major damage to them.

OH, paint thickness guage. Yep, got one of those too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by skipper1 View Post
    Yep, got the foam interface. Sorry, I don't know what PTG is.

Can my fingernail grab the scratch? You bet, I don't think I can get the scratches completely out but I feel I can do some major damage to them.

OH, paint thickness guage. Yep, got one of those too.
    Sounds like your down to primer. Wet sanding without filling with paint won't help. Use your PTG first before wet sanding. Good Luck.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    Sounds like your down to primer. Wet sanding without filling with paint won't help. Use your PTG first before wet sanding. Good Luck.
    Would I want to get the matching paint, carefully fill in the scratches with a tooth pick and wait for it to dry or cure and then sand?

Post Thanks / Like

/\ Yes sir.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast