autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Anybody restore Aluminum wheels wetsanding?

I agree whole-heartedly. As I stated earlier, the project is a good one, just not thought out or researched. The OP seems to think that he can remove the plasticised clear and refinish the spokes, then address the painted/coated face...bass ackwards. But the damage is done, and no other choice but to go on with the game plan.
    Correct, it's not well thought out. I have zero experience working with metals, or car finishes to be well thought out. Got to start somewhere.

1) My wheels are pitted
    2) I want my Rims looking better than they were before pitting.
    3) I wanted to learn something through the experience of refinishing a wheel.
    4) I don't want to spend as much as I'd pay a professional to do so, so I'm starting with least expensive path that I think could do the job.
    5) I can always follow my current path to see if things work out - or not and change directions or add to the process. But once I strip the finish I'm committed to that path. so I'm deferring that til I try some less expensive options to see if I can obtain my unpited and polished and protected wheels without stripping the finish that doesn't need to be stripped.
    6) My understanding is that either way, I need to sand the pitting away completely or it will be there, so I'm focusing on that step before I add to the project's complexity.
    7) It's my wheel and not a customer's wheel so I'm not inflicting my growing pains on somebody else's pocketbook or car.

UPDATE : I picked up a wheel brush and did some work on the brake dust stained paint. Looks like I should be able to get most of the brake stains off the paint with a little spray and elbow grease.

But I do appreciate any advice I've received on this thread, even if some came in a snarky post !!!

Once I've completed the task, I'm sure I will look back and have taken a different path to the end point, but I'd also have some working knowledge to base those decisions from.

Post Thanks / Like

^^^ Well said and thoughtfully explained.

Not trying to be snarky hand.
    I truly apologize for my tone.

It's just that I've been where you are.
    I, too have sanded before thoroughly cleaning and polishing the painted face.

I was so thrilled with the bright parts, that I sealed the whole mess up...only to come back several weeks later and completely strip, sand, paint and sealed the wheel.
    When the clear coat started failing some months later, I went to the pick-a-parts and got a decent set of wheels. This was back in the day before the internet and $1 gallon of gas.

It was truly one of those lessons learned and not repeated again.

There is one issue that I would like for you to consider: Why do you think that a coating that comes out of a bottle, the Klasse product, will seal the bright parts?

Again, not being snarky, just inquisitive.

Happy detailing...
    VT
    Quote Originally Posted by glen e View Post
    ....It's all I use these days....they are buffing when I'm relaxing...and still don't get the powder out of canines!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas Transplant View Post

There is one issue that I would like for you to consider: Why do you think that a coating that comes out of a bottle, the Klasse product, will seal the bright parts?
    I don't " THINK it will seal the bright parts. I'm hoping it will.

Mainly because it's the first order I"m placing with AG and I'll have some Klasse on hand to test out. I have no idea if it will work or not. I've only used Car wash, carnuba wax, and spray detailers in my younger years.

My thoughts were based on a Youtube video where a BMW owner put had some Klasse on his wheels, and the dirt just came off with water rinse. I'm quite certain he had the factory finish underneath though so it's not quite the same as what I'm trying out.

Ideally I'd like to put a clear coat over the painted ( hopefully still factory paint ) & polished aluminum but a little weary of the results of Clear coat adhering to the aluminum & factory clear coat. Primer would be nice, but I haven't checked to see if there is a clear primer available yet. If you have any suggestions in that area, I would be very interested to know an approach that would work from the start.

Post Thanks / Like

Actually I don't.
    I've only Zoop coated polished aluminum, not the painted parts.
    Even Zoop has its own issues as far as durability, and softness, but is one of the best coatings for polished aluminum...and reasonably priced.

But on another note, if you keep the spokes maintained weekly after washing, then no coating will be needed for the spokes.

Any aluminum polish will do for maintenance, but I prefer Magic Wadding Cloth...just old school that way.

Holla atcha later...I'm 10-10.
    VT
    Quote Originally Posted by glen e View Post
    ....It's all I use these days....they are buffing when I'm relaxing...and still don't get the powder out of canines!

Post Thanks / Like

My wheel project is still crawling forward as I try available tools products on my first test wheel.

Currently, found a 5" & 6" Sanding pad to mount on my drill and looking for Adhesive backed Discs. haven't found any locally, but online quantities are $25-$40 for 50 or 100 discs per grit ( probably more than I need ). For the moment, this is the preferred method I'm targeting using to finish the project.

* Does anybody have a reasonably priced source online - for say 5,10, or 20 disc quantity that I can experiment with?

* What grits should I work through for this project. 220, 400, 600 ... ?? Something else..?

* Ideally I'm looking for cloth backed for wet sanding, but if price difference is wide, can I just get Norton dry sanding and still use a liquid lubricant, or would it be best to skip the fluid altogether?

* I've also been suggested to use SOS pads for the job by a worker at local auto supply store. Anybody ever done that?

I Still might strip the entire wheel and resurface the whole thing, but not there right now. Still trying to get a quality aluminum surface on the faces of Alum Alloy wheels before I get to that stage.

Thanks

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

If you need help sanding and polishing aluminum rims, you should check out this video. It really helped me. Best of luck to you.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345