autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Wow! 3M #5000 Grit Polishing I mean Sanding Discs!

That's actually pretty sweet in my opinion! Thanks for taking the time to do this work and share the results with everyone Mike.
    "Challenge yourself to live a better tomorrow than you did yesterday"

Post Thanks / Like
    I cannot see a lilt to the video Mike said he posted.. Can anyone else?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Video: Wow! 3M #5000 Grit Polishing I mean Sanding Discs!

Thanks Mike. It is really neat to see the side-by-side of the different sanding discs/pads and the difference that foam backing makes on its own. Could use those 5k pads right about now for a Mustang I am working on. Mirka Abralon discs on my PC7424(non XP) aren't gving me very uniform results and leaving tick marks/arcs. Can't wait to see AG carrying the 5k pads.
    Shaun Shines Automotive Detailing, VIRGINIA BEACH, VA. http://www.facebook.com/ShaunShinesDetailing

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Mike, have you made any video's showing the proper technique on using the sanding disc?

Post Thanks / Like

I saw you had Meguiars mf system on the table. Would love to see how the d300/cutting disc does.

Thanks for taking my request and putting the video up for all of us to see Mike. Really appreciate it.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by foggy View Post
    Mike, have you made any video's showing the proper technique on using the sanding disc?

No but we have that coming up in the next few weeks.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by smack View Post

I saw you had Meguiars mf system on the table. Would love to see how the d300/cutting disc does.

Since 3M bought Meguiar's it seems only fitting to use Megs products when testing to see what it takes to pull the #5000 grit sanding marks.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by rwright View Post
    That's actually pretty sweet in my opinion! Thanks for taking the time to do this work and share the results with everyone Mike.
    No problemo, I still have the rest of the panel to buff out and some other products to test today so more pics later...

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrad View Post
    I cannot see a lilt to the video Mike said he posted.. Can anyone else?
    I'm using IE and it's there...

Post Thanks / Like

This method has been around for years, and was pioneered by 3M.

The PPG and DuPont training facilities for collision repair both use the unigrit paper with a D/A, followed by either Trizact 3000 foam discs or 4000 grit Abralon discs.

When denibbing or panel matching orange peel, you start with 1200 or 1500 grit on a D/A followed up by the 3000 grit Trizact. Then, all you need is a simple foam pad with a mild polish to restore the shine.

All this is done dry...there is no need to wetsand anything. Matter of fact, the refinish industry doesn't like to work on freshly painted panels or vehicles with water.

Plus, dry sanding lets you immediately see how much material you are removing, so that you can panel match, bring it perfectly flat, or remove debris or nibs in the paint.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by BLKZ06 View Post
    This method has been around for years, and was pioneered by 3M.

I've been told the 3M #5000 disc I showing is brand new to the market, at least it's brand new to me.

All this is done dry...there is no need to wetsand anything. Matter of fact, the refinish industry doesn't like to work on freshly painted panels or vehicles with water.
    Just to note, technically I'm showing dampsanding where very little water is used versus wetsanding where more water is used.

Wetsanding, Colorsanding & Dampsanding

The Meguiar's Unigrit Discs are designed to be used wet, I'm not even sure they would work if you used them dry. Perhaps the S61500 would but if it's designed to be used wet then using it dry would wear it out prematurely.

This #5000 disc appears to have the abrasives embodied in a medium somewhat like the Meguiar's Unigrit discs, if this is so then they too need to be used wet. I have a phone call into 3M to confirm.

Plus, dry sanding lets you immediately see how much material you are removing, so that you can panel match, bring it perfectly flat, or remove debris or nibs in the paint.
    Those are good but you have to use discs intended to be used dry. Also with dry sanding you should wear some type of respirator, especially if you don't know what type of coating you are sanding.

I have friends that dry sand, it's dusty work and you'll get dust all over everything. With dampsanding all the paint particles are wiped off onto a microfiber towel, very little splatter makes it to the floor compared to wetsanding.

Also with dry sanding your papers or discs will tend to clog faster with a build-up of removed paint. With wetsanding the paint particles are flushed off the paper and contained in the water slurry.

Don't matter to me which approach is used but do be sure to use a sanding/finishing paper or disc designed for each approach.

As soon as I hear back from 3M on the wet versus dry for the #5000 Foam Discs I'll update this thread.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast