autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: MF Pad System...Devil's Advocate Thread

Quote Originally Posted by john b View Post
    i would like to see how versatile the products can be-meaning can you use these polishs and pads with other products and pads ? otherwise it seems to be very specific in design
    It was very specific in design D300 to MF cutting pad and D301 to MF finishing pad.
    A lot of research has been done to pair these two products up exactly.

Now that being said...I have already heard of folks experimenting with different products with the MF pads.
    There is rumor the someone tried the MF finishing pads with PO 85RD with excellent results.
    People are going to do this it's in our nature.

Post Thanks / Like

Great thread and interesting assessment from what you saw being used. I’d love to see this and on what vehicle it was used on. No one said you are “supposed to” use the MF liquids with the pads. I personally prefer using M105 because I feel it cuts and finishes better IMHO on certain jobs, but still find myself reaching for D300 1st many times. On harder clears I’ve totally been able to finish off with just this combination using the KBM finishing method. I haven’t talked to anyone that can do this with SurBufs as they always leave moderate micro-hazing behind. No, I’ll agree. SB’s do cut better. I just prefer using a final finishing polish (like 85rd) as my 2nd/final step when needed. I don’t think this can always be done with SB’s. Many times you need an intermediate polishing step to knock-down the marring to be safe in the end. Otherwise you might be overstepping your polish’s correction boundaries. Again, this is mostly paint and user specific. As far as durability, I feel the MF pads hands down last longer that SB’s. My original 5 inch test pad(singular)pictured in my thread and below has 10 complete corrections on it and still works like new. Even if I had access to back up pads(which I didn‘t initially), I’m not sure if I’d need to reach for them. The outside edge of the foam is a little deteriorated(from me tilting the pad mostly), but the important part(the surface) is very much alive. Here’s some shots of this wear as well as the comparison of a used pads to a brand new pad:

I know this wouldn’t be the case with SB’s(or foam for that matter) as they tend to break down almost immediately. I also don’t find the MF’s to shed either. If they did, I certainly wouldn’t be able to get this many uses out of them. As far as cleaning, it only takes me 10 seconds to totally clean the pad with compressed air (I don't brush)so the extra time spent cleaning your pad might be a total of 5 minutes per entire vehicle. Hardly anything that is significantly noticeable when doing the correction of an entire vehicle. Everyone’s opinion is going to vary with this system as well as its components which is totally understandable. I do tend to think the MF pads are an important advancement to paint correction as it replaces the need to use foam for leveling defects in so may ways from my testing thus far.

Metro Detroit's Leader in Vehicle Preservation & Perfect Paint Finishes

Post Thanks / Like

I'm giving this thread a 5 star review. I will reserve comment at this time as I am currentally watching the Preacher Man on TV.

I sincerely hope this thread stays on a mature enough level that it doesn't get shut down. On the other hand, I would like to here the opinions of both the fan -vs- non fan of this New System -vs- Surbufs

Everyone just try to refrain from calling another posters "Yo Momma So Fat" jokes and I am confident we can get through this thing and it will prove to be a very insightfull thread
    “Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.”

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by David Fermani View Post
    ...As far as cleaning, it only takes me 10 seconds to totally clean the pad with compressed air (I don't brush) so the extra time spent cleaning your pad might be a total of 5 minutes per entire vehicle. Hardly anything that is significantly noticeable when doing the correction of an entire vehicle.
    OK while we're doing "MF Pad System...Devil's Advocate Thread"

Here's another interesting observation besides the OEM paint only...

It is recommended that the MF pads be cleaned with compressed air.
    It does appear this is probably the best method to clean the MF pads.
    The brush or on-the-fly cloth doesn't clean spent material as efficiently.

I do not own an air compressor. I'm not going to buy one to use MF pads.
    How will that effect the performance of the pad/product on the paint finish?

Post Thanks / Like

very interesting conversation and alot of valid points ... it will be interesting to see/hear more results as it gets into more users hands and evaluated in its public release.

Scott

Post Thanks / Like

Here is some good reading on the MF System. Most of the reviewers are professional detailers, and top notch ones at that. People like Joe Fernandez of Superior Shine, Nick Chapman of Nick's Custom Detailing, Rasky of Rasky's Auto Detailing, Todd Helme of Bella Macchina etc. Some of these guys have had a version of these pads in their hands for quite some time.

Nick Chapman believes in the system so well that he has all but put the rotary down. And anyone who knows Nick knows he is a truly gifted detailer.

I think the new system is very promising, and I don't believe it is hype based on what I've read and seen. This could be a revolutionary system that changes the detailing world.

Meguiar's MF System Reviews

Colin

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cnfowler View Post
    Here is some good reading on the MF System. Most of the reviewers are professional detailers, and top notch ones at that. People like Joe Fernandez of Superior Shine, Nick Chapman of Nick's Custom Detailing, Rasky of Rasky's Auto Detailing, Todd Helme of Bella Macchina etc. Some of these guys have had a version of these pads in their hands for quite some time.

Nick Chapman believes in the system so well that he has all but put the rotary down. And anyone who knows Nick knows he is a truly gifted detailer.

I think the new system is very promising, and I don't believe it is hype based on what I've read and seen. This could be a revolutionary system that changes the detailing world.

Meguiar's MF System Reviews

Colin
    With all due respect. I only see Nick posting on the Meguiars Forum. So his opinion on the matter is next to worthless IMO

Furthermore, if he is stating that this new system will completely remove the need to use a Ratory, then I know he is blowing smoke
    “Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.”

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    With all due respect. I only see Nick posting on the Meguiars Forum. So his opinion on the matter is next to worthless IMO

Furthermore, if he is stating that this new system will completely remove the need to use a Ratory, then I know he is blowing smoke

You literally took the words right out of my mouth. Thank you!
    Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    I sincerely hope this thread stays on a mature enough level that it doesn't get shut down. On the other hand, I would like to here the opinions of both the fan -vs- non fan of this New System -vs- Surbufs
    I agree. One of the reasons we all use this forum is to learn... about new products and the way we detail and care for our cars. We can all agree to disagree, but respect each others views. We may find that the system can be utilized to meet our other detailing needs. Partially/Fully. Lets give it a chance to reach user hands, then we can comment on its use and place in our car care, etc. We have alot of experience out there and have found excellent ways to use equipment and products and learn from each other.

Post Thanks / Like

This is very interesting. A lot of great thinking points.

Mentioning that all of the reviewers have been pros is a very valid argument. Technique is more than half of the battle. I want to see people like myself with this system. What kind of results will the hobbyist get out of them? That will come soon with reviews.

Also mentioning things like using air compressors to clean the pads makes me think this is more of a pro, volume, auto dealership focused system.

This may create a system for pros to use instead of using a rotary, or at least bring the differences closer together. So in that regard I think it is an advancement.

I am not by any means knocking this system, or for that matter excited about it. My vote is still out and I am interested to see more hobbyist reviews in the future.

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast