autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

What's color sanding?

I've seen color sanding mentioned in another thread about a black SS Camaro. What is it?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What's color sanding?

Mike does an excellent job of explaining it here

It's essentially a term which came about when wetsanding a single stage paint system but has come by many to include clearcoat finishes as well. It is used generally immediately after painting to remove any orange peel and unevenness to a cars' finish. The slurry created when sanding was the color of the paint being sanded hence the term "color sanding"

3. Likes mrbtd liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Here's an article on the three general terms or types of sanidng...

Wet-sanding, Color-sanding & Damp-sanding

Copyright ©PBMA - AutogeekOnline.net® All Rights Reserved

Just to note, wet-sand and color-sand, or wet-sanding and color-sanding, are interchangeable terms.

Color Sanding
    The term color-sanding came from the time cars were primarily painted with single stage paint and as such when you sanded them dry or with water you would see the color of the paint coming off the car, thus the term color-sanding. If you were wet-sanding a pigmented or single stage paint, your water slurry would be the color of the paint.

Wet Sanding
    Wet-sanding is just a term to describe sanding automotive paints with water. If you're wet-sanding a single stage paint you'll see the color of the paint in your water slurry as you sand. If you're sanding a clear coat finish your water slurry will be a whitish color as the sanded particles of clear paint are not clear but whitish or opaque and thus the water slurry will have a whitish appearances to it.

Damp Sanding
    Damp-sanding is simply a variation of wet-sanding except that you use less water with sanding discs designed for use with a process that uses less water. The water slurry from damp-sanding will either be whitish if you're sanding a clear coat finish, or the color of the paint if you're sanding a single stage finish.

Water Slurry
    The water on the surface of your work area that suspends particles of paint removed off the surface from the abrading action of your sanding paper or sanding disc.

Here's a list of all my articles on the topic of Wetsanding in my articles list which there's a link to in my Signature Line...

Wet-Sanding
    Damp-Sanding Tools, Tips and Techniques by Mike Phillips
    Meguiar's 6" Unigrit Sanding and Finishing Discs
    Wet-sanding, Color-sanding & Damp-sanding
    The difference between 3M's Hookit and Hookit II Hook-N-Loop Interface Systems
    List of Sanding Discs at Autogeek.net
    The Rule of Thumb
    If it has paint... it gets polished...
    RIDS and Feathersanding - A Highly Specialized Technique by Mike Phillips
    Wet-sanding - Fresh Paint vs Factory Paint
    Basic Hand Sanding Techniques
    Removing Orange Peel & Sanding Marks with the Griot's ROP and the Wolfgang Twins
    How long will a half sheet of wet/dry sandpaper last before it stops cutting and you need to replace it?
    Fight or Flight Method for Gaging Surface Temperature

Post Thanks / Like

Don't try it without someone showing you face to face how to do it. And start out on something expendable. It takes a lot of practice to get it right and there is a very small margin of error if you don't know what you are doing.

Post Thanks / Like

Why is my paint yellowing after wet sanding?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What's color sanding?-viewattachment-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like dull paint from sanding. Finish the sanded areas out with 3000 and then run a machine over it.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by vtfreeiii View Post
    Why is my paint yellowing after wet sanding?

I would be worried you're hitting yellow or gold colored primer from the picture...

What are you working on?

It's a good idea to tape-off body lines so you don't sand over them too. Paint is thinnest on high points and remember,

Like I posted in this thread today, see post #

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...ed-please.html

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips

Something I point out in all my detailing classes on the topic of wetsanding and that is,

• Sanding removes paint
    • Compounding removes paint
    • Polishing removes paint
    • Paint from the factory is thin
    So everything is working against you from the very start...

If you're new to wetsanding AND you're sanding factory paint, that is it's NOT a custom paint job, read my article here,

Wetsanding - Fresh Paint vs Factory Paint

Post Thanks / Like

I want to first make sure I understand what you are asking. You said wet sanding made the paint "yellow" or that it was, as a result of wet sanding, "yellowing". Right?

I don't see yellow in your picture.

What I see is normal hazing that is a result of wet sanding. My process that has been very successful is to use 1000, 1500 (one or the other), lightly sanding with a liberal lubrication with a water spray bottle, then graduate to 2000, sanding lightly again, then wipe off water and material to view to see if scratches are removed. Then I start compounding with an orbital polisher, carefully going from fast cut compound to less abrasive compounds (see below for my choice of product line). In the end, I have always gotten a glassy finish, and yes, the first time I wet sanded, I was told by a body and paint expert what it would look like but I still freaked out because I thought I sanded too far. Well, I was wrong, and the compounding made it smooth as glass.

As Mike's message above implies, you have to be very careful using any abrasive on paint (regardless of whether it is factory paint or otherwise). Once you have done it enough and had the failures many of us have had in the process, you gain enough fund of experience to know just how much or little to sand with each grade of paper on the specific paint damage you have. Until you get that experience, the best rule of thumb is to sand LESS than you think you need to do. Undersanding can always be remedied, but oversanding cannot without repainting in most cases.

Anyway, as the first responder stated, you can use 3000 paper. Or go to a fast cut rubbing compound. Eventually you have to compound it. I like 3M Perfect-It products. You can buy this at any good auto body supply store, and they can talk to you about your situation and give you direct advice on what you need to get your paint to a finished state and looking like glass. Take heart, you probably have not ruined your paint!
    Take it easy. There are no big deals in life.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by The Heater View Post

I don't see yellow in your picture.

I "think" I see yellow splotches?

I can draw circles around the yellow splotches or maybe someone else can?

In order to sand through to primer you first have to sand through the clear coat for a clear coat finish or the color coat for as single stage finish.

Sanding paint is an art form...

Another thing I tell people in all my classes is that,

Sanding paint is the easy part, that's putting scratches into the paint... the tricky part is getting them out...

Post Thanks / Like

Gentlemen, confession time. Mike Phillips was correct, that was the red filler primer I sprayed under the base color. I guess I did not spray enough coats of base color and after wet sanding the clear coat and also over using Meguiar's medium-cut cleaner this was the results. I thought over buffing with the Maguiar's Cleaner would smooth out the cloudy looking clear coat that I sprayed over the base coat. The clear coat spray by Automotive Touchup for $7.95 I think was the problem because I used too much of the cleaner. May be I should use their clear coat with isocyanates for $18.95. I am going to clean up what I have done and this time spray 3-4 coats of base color this time along with a more expensive clear coat. do I really need to use cutting compound this time instead of the cleaner?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast