autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What's color sanding?

For smoothest finish, wet sand between each clear coat. If you are not comfortable working with a film that thin, you can wet sand after applying 3-5 coats of clear. (but I would sand between coats myself).
    Take it easy. There are no big deals in life.

Post Thanks / Like

Gentlemen, confession time. Mike Phillips was correct, that was the red filler primer I sprayed under the base color. I guess I did not spray enough coats of base color and after wet sanding the clear coat and also over using Meguiar's medium-cut cleaner this was the results. I thought over buffing with the Maguiar's Cleaner would smooth out the cloudy looking clear coat that I sprayed over the base coat. The clear coat spray by Automotive Touchup for $7.95 I think was the problem because I used too much of the cleaner. May be I should use their clear coat with isocyanates for $18.95. I am going to clean up what I have done and this time spray 3-4 coats of base color this time along with a more expensive clear coat. do I really need to use cutting compound this time instead of the cleaner?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What's color sanding?-viewattachment-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    I "think" I see yellow splotches?
    You aren't the only one Mike.

These photos clearly show sanding has gone through the clear and the color revealing a sealant or primer coat.

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyG View Post
    You aren't the only one Mike.

These photos clearly show sanding has gone through the clear and the color revealing a sealant or primer coat.

Please, after reapplying 3-4 coats of base color should I use urethane clear coat instead of the acrylic clear coat I used before for $7.95? I over used the Maguiar medium cut cleaner along with wet sanding because the spray clear coat had a cloudy look even after buffing.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What's color sanding?-viewattachment-jpg  

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by vtfreeiii View Post

Gentlemen, confession time. Mike Phillips was correct, that was the red filler primer I sprayed under the base color.

I guess I did not spray enough coats of base color
    Actually, you needed to spray more clear. More clear will give you a thicker layer to sand and buff.

Once you sand and/or buff through the clear layer... game over...

Please, after reapplying 3-4 coats of base color should I use urethane clear coat instead of the acrylic clear coat I used before for $7.95?
    Check with the manufacture of the product for their recommendation as they know their paint chemistry best.

I over used the Maguiar medium cut cleaner along with wet sanding because the spray clear coat had a cloudy look even after buffing.

The #1 Medium Cut Cleaner can remove sanding marks but I think you'll find Meguiar's M105 a better option with either a foam pad or a wool pad on a rotary buffer.

Post Thanks / Like

I've color sanded to "mirror finish" it was great. It was a green Al Bundy type classic car. Like Pimps drive. Not a Cadillac more like a Chrysler idk. Lightly hit it with 1000, then 1500, 2000, 2500 then finally finished it with 3000. Only the 3000 was damp sand everything else was dry using the DA, microfiber towel and spray bottle to wipe off the dust.
    (The Owner didn't order it, I just thought it would be fun to try) I was all proud...!
    I couldn't wait till the owner came and picked it up to see my work. He just said "ok thanks" and drove off...

oh well...

Post Thanks / Like

I have been dry sanding since the waterbug. Maybe 14 years ago? typically using a hard 3M stick it 6" pad. I didn't mean to say I felt the interface pad was better, there's no doubt its letting the paper follow highs & lows even more. Its just less dangerous for the average user.
    I'm not at all afraid of the standard pad, thats how I cut my teeth dry sanding. The last car I sanded was a driver, I just wanted the peel gone, so interface pad worked ok for that. something different so I thought I would try it I should have worded that better

Post Thanks / Like

You don't need to buy the more expensive clearcoat, I use automotive touchup clear all the time, but you need several coats of it before you start to go sanding. I would suggest:
    one coat of primer,
    2 to 3 coats of base very thin,
    three coats of clear,
    then 3000 grit,
    and then finish out with a rotary with a hybrid wool pad
    then Meguires 105 and 205 on an orbital with a medium pad.

I get amazing results. A corvette console I did a few years ago with atouchup products.
    Glen -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kainic View Post
    I have been dry sanding since the waterbug. Maybe 14 years ago? typically using a hard 3M stick it 6" pad. I didn't mean to say I felt the interface pad was better, there's no doubt its letting the paper follow highs & lows even more. Its just less dangerous for the average user.
    I'm not at all afraid of the standard pad, thats how I cut my teeth dry sanding. The last car I sanded was a driver, I just wanted the peel gone, so interface pad worked ok for that. something different so I thought I would try it I should have worded that better
    Here is an example of the types of amazing results you can achieve with 3M's Trizact 1500/3000 disc combo followed by a buff/polish. These are before and after photos of a a black hood that I leveled some orange peel on after a respray...pretty much speaks for itself. If done correctly, the results are simply astonishing.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Autogeekonline mobile app

10. Likes drabon74 liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12