autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Meg's 3" Sanding backing plate w/ "Air Holes"

I was just curious why the 3" Backing plate has "Air Holes", but none of the 3" Meguiar's sanding discs on AG's page has them, nor do the Meguiar's 3" interface pads.

The 6" doesn't look to have them either, for the backing plate, interface pad OR discs. So if the "air holes" are not a requirement for the Unigrit sanding system could one use their own 6" and 3" backing plates (say from LC) with the foam interface pads and appropriate sized discs?

Are the "air holes" mostly on 3M Trizact stuff? (That's where I seem to see it with the exception of the Meguiars 3" backing plate)

Mike Phillips can you chime in here?

Mike Phillips

Re: Meg's 3" Sanding backing plate w/ "Air Holes"

Quote Originally Posted by Mindflux View Post
    I was just curious why the 3" Backing plate has "Air Holes", but none of the 3" Meguiar's sanding discs on AG's page has them, nor do the Meguiar's 3" interface pads.

Mike Phillips can you chime in here?
    I know there were some changes made late into the finalized products and I'll try to find out what the skinny is for accuracy.

Should have an answer by tomorrow...

I was told back during Mobile Tech Expo by Jason Rose that the holes were removed from the 6" interface pads to avoid any type of differences in cushion or pressure behind the discs, I think there was also a concern for particulate accumulation but I would have to research my notes from back in January...

Post Thanks / Like

So if the "air holes" aren't a requirement for the 3" or 6" systems from Meguiars can I just buy the appropriate sized interface pads and use my present backing plates (6" and 3" LC BP's)

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Mindflux View Post
    So if the "air holes" aren't a requirement for the 3" or 6" systems from Meguiars can I just buy the appropriate sized interface pads and use my present backing plates (6" and 3" LC BP's)
    I don't see a problem with your idea... it helps to have flexible backing plates for contours or just be more careful or sand by hand. The 6" and 3" backing plates by Meguiar's are beveled and this allows them to give or press back when pressure is applied to them better than a solid or stiff backing plate but this is mostly important if you're sanding a curved-in area. IF your sanding our outward curve or flat panels it won't matter much.

Post Thanks / Like

Hrmm I'll check how flexible they are. I figured the interface pad would take care of most of that anyway.