autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Two Schools of Thought - Sanding in Straight-lines or in a Crosshatch Pattern

I think Mike forgot about us
    Trent
    PRD

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Two Schools of Thought - Sanding in Straight-lines or in a Crosshatch Pattern

Quote Originally Posted by TS656577 View Post
    I think Mike forgot about us
    Quote Originally Posted by TS656577 View Post
    Mike very well done, as always. Wetsanding is something that I've done in the past (mainly on headlights but on paint as well from time to time).

Mike, I have a question now. You say sanding in circles makes it difficult to get uniform paint/clearcoat removal. This makes sense. Now just so I'm clear, random orbitals rotate, but because they're machines, the paint and clear coat removal is more uniform and easier to control pressure as opposed to hand sanding?

You answered your own question.

Mike Phillips

Unsticking stickies in this group for my how-to articles.

4. Likes tomsteve liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

great stuff,mike. when i started doing bodywork/repaints as a hobby im glad i had my sons step dad- a man with 30+ years in the trade- to guide me. cross hatch sanding(with hard block backers) is one he stressed to speed up the process and get the refinement.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post

great stuff,mike. when i started doing bodywork/repaints as a hobby im glad i had my sons step dad- a man with 30+ years in the trade- to guide me.

cross hatch sanding(with hard block backers) is one he stressed to speed up the process and get the refinement.

I learned the X-Pattern style from Rich Evans of Car Warriors fame. He also owns Huntington Beach Body Works in Huntington Beach, California.

While this technique makes absolute sense on paper and in practice, that doesn't mean anyone can do it successfully. And my definition of the word successfully when it comes to wetsanding is 100% defect removal with out any mistakes.

Easy to talk about, much more difficult to walk the talk.

7. Likes tomsteve liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post

While this technique makes absolute sense on paper and in practice, that doesn't mean anyone can do it successfully. And my definition of the word successfully when it comes to wetsanding is 100% defect removal with out any mistakes.

Easy to talk about, much more difficult to walk the talk.

most definately. its real easy to sand through clear on body lines. also easy to not make clear flat. i did quite a bit of work on this 96 about 6 years ago. new rockers,cab corner, and lower door skins,then complete repaint. i wasnt using a long enough sanding block and had urethane wave on the bed sides,so in for 2 more coats of clear and do the process all over.

but i didnt cut through on body lines!

Two Schools of Thought - Sanding in Straight-lines or in a Crosshatch Pattern-gmc-jpg

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123