autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Two Schools of Thought - Sanding in Straight-lines or in a Crosshatch Pattern

Flash, What are you using the sanding disks with? By hand or with a machine? If you’re talking about machine sanding with disks then technically you are still sanding in a circular motion but in much more tighter controlled uniform circular motion. Circular sanding by hand lacks the uniformity because there will be areas that will be sanded more than others.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Two Schools of Thought - Sanding in Straight-lines or in a Crosshatch Pattern

Crosshatch sanding can also prevent you from over sanding. By sanding in a 90 to the first sanding step you can see when you have removed the scratches and know when to stop. Sanding in the same direction can make it difficult to know when you have removed the previous papers scratches. Which can then lead to over sanding and causing problems such as not having enough paint left to make the correction or having to resand after a polish because the deeper initial sand marks are still there.

Post Thanks / Like

Crosshatch sanding can save time in the long run:

Post Thanks / Like

I've found that each type of sanding has it place for what you are working on. large flat panels - crosshatch, thin straight panels-straight line, small circles for round or ball type surfaces. jonathan

Post Thanks / Like

I think I'm going to try the Crosshatch method next time around
    “Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.”

Post Thanks / Like

Good thought provoking thread, Thanks Mike
    :dancebanana:

Sky's the Limit Car Care

Post Thanks / Like

Mike very well done, as always. Wetsanding is something that I've done in the past (mainly on headlights but on paint as well from time to time).

Mike, I have a question now. You say sanding in circles makes it difficult to get uniform paint/clearcoat removal. This makes sense. Now just so I'm clear, random orbitals rotate, but because they're machines, the paint and clear coat removal is more uniform and easier to control pressure as opposed to hand sanding?
    Trent
    PRD

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TS656577 View Post
    Mike very well done, as always. Wetsanding is something that I've done in the past (mainly on headlights but on paint as well from time to time).

Mike, I have a question now. You say sanding in circles makes it difficult to get uniform paint/clearcoat removal. This makes sense. Now just so I'm clear, random orbitals rotate, but because they're machines, the paint and clear coat removal is more uniform and easier to control pressure as opposed to hand sanding?

Kevin, I would like to hear your thoughts too!
    “Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.”

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post

Kevin, I would like to hear your thoughts too!
    Thanks Flash... I think I'll butt outta' this thread or change my name to Mike.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Brown View Post
    Thanks Flash... I think I'll butt outta' this thread or change my name to Mike.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast