autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Basic Hand Sanding Techniques

Can a DA work to remove wetsanding effectively or is a rotary necessary for proper results?

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Porsche Pilot View Post
    Can a DA work to remove wetsanding effectively or is a rotary necessary for proper results?
    Yes, and the higher the grit of finishing paper or disc you finish out with the easier and faster it will be.

If you're just doing some spot repair or even just a panel you could remove your sanding marks using a DA but a rotary buffer will be faster if you plan on sanding down an entire car.

You could remove the sanding marks using only a DA Polisher over an entire car and I know people do this and the key is finishing out with #3000 grit or higher papers or discs.

I would caution people new to sanding and buffing to do a Test Spot first on any car that they've never worked on before because some cars can have some pretty hard clear coat paints and you don't want to get yourself into a position where you sand down an entire panel or an entire car only to find out the hard way that the paint is very hard.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the tips Mike. I really need to find some body parts to practice on. Can you believe there isnt a salvage yard in my town? Thanks again!

Post Thanks / Like

Can this method be used to wetsand key scratches on vertical panels? Is it easier to wetsand a vehicle with known soft clear coat?

2012 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 - Torch Red

Post Thanks / Like

Can't say I've done a lot of wetsanding of car paint, but I do use loads of abrasives in different form factors for other things. One thing to pay attention to (and I assume it holds for wetsanding sheets) is there are different grit sizing standards and if you think you're buying one but get abrasive rated with another, you can be in for a surprise.

For example, 2000 grit under the ISO/FEPA standard is a 10.3 micron grit, while 1000 grit (which you might think is more coarse) under the ANSI/CAMI standard is (I believe) the same grit size (or it might be slightly smaller; I forget)[edit: 1 source says it's 10.3 micron, another says it's 9.2 so I'm not sure which is right]. There is another standard that goes by JIS but you don't run across abrasives rated to that much in US products. There is also a "micron" standard, which I wish everyone would standardize on, and manufacturer standards like 3M's Trizact (which if I recall is a micron rating with an A in the front). If you need finer abrasives (down to 1 micron, or 1/10th the grit of FEPA 2000 grit) you might be surprised to find that woodworking stores are a good source, usually located under sharpening supplies. Trizact is also available down to 1 micron.
    Last edited by SR99; 07-09-2012 at 05:43 PM.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Porsche Pilot View Post
    Thanks for the tips Mike. I really need to find some body parts to practice on. Can you believe there isnt a salvage yard in my town? Thanks again!
    Yeah... if you need there's one right down the road from us called Snake Road Salvage and the owner is a car buddy of mine.

Quote Originally Posted by TimmyG View Post

Can this method be used to wetsand key scratches on vertical panels?

Is it easier to wetsand a vehicle with known soft clear coat?
    Of course to the first question and yes to the second question. Buffing sanding marks out of soft paint is also easier than hard paint. The buffing portion is a lot trickier than the sanding portion.

Quote Originally Posted by SR99 View Post

Can't say I've done a lot of wetsanding of car paint, but I do use loads of abrasives in different form factors for other things. One thing to pay attention to (and I assume it holds for wetsanding sheets) is there are different grit sizing standards and if you think you're buying one but get abrasive rated with another, you can be in for a surprise.

Very good info to have SR99, I've studied the different measuring standards used to grade paint but at the end of the day I also stick to 3 brands,

3M
    Meguiar's
    Mirka

And I trust that when I'm using #1000 or #1500 from one of these suppliers I'm using a fairly aggressive paper or disc and when I'm using, #3000, #4000 or #5000 I'm using a very fine finishing paper or disc.

Kind of the "Big Picture" approach.

The most important thing to me when doing any sanding is to avoid inexpensive wet/dry papers, at least if the car I'm working on is important to me and/or the owner.

Mike Phillips

Unsticking stickies in this group for my how-to articles.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12