autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Removing Overspray Paint using Nanoskin Autoscrub Pads

Removing Overspray Paint using Nanoskin Autoscrub Pads

This 1963 Plymouth Fury was recently repainted. As a by-product of the painting process, there was overspray all over the car. It was very easy to feel the overspray paint on the hood and the windshield but chances are very good the entire car has some level of overspray paint, including all the glass, all the paint, all the chrome and stainless steel trim and even the wheels and tires.

Interesting Factoid...
    The most common place to get overspray paint on your car is while it's at a body shop for repairs or a complete paint job.

Tip...
    Anytime you have your car re-painted, or even just a portion of the car repainted, while at the body shop, inspect the car for overspray and if discovered, point this out to the shop managers.

Nanosking Autoscrub Pads

This is a cropped out section from the above with no resizing...

Fine and Medium Grade Pads
    The blue foam indicates the fine grade while the yellow foam indicates the medium grade Nanoskin Autoscrub Pads.

Nanoskin Glide Instant Detailer and Spray Lubricant Concentrate

Time to get busy....
    The Nanoskin Autoscrub pads are incredibly effective at removing above surface bonded contaminants like paint overspray and best of all you work by machine using dual action polishers, any dual action polisher.

Here's Tim using a Meguiar's G110v2 with a Medium Grade, (Yellow), Nanoskin Autoscrub Pad...

Here's Den using a Porter Cable 7424XP with a Medium Grade, (Yellow), Nanoskin Autoscrub Pad...

Here's Greg using a Porter Cable 7424XP with a Nanoskin Autoscrub Medium Grade Pad....

Here's Andy give some pointers literally....

Here's Nick using the Griot's Garage DA Polisher with a Nanoskin Autoscrub Medium Pad...

Here's Craig using the Cyclo Mark 5 Pro with two 4" Nanoskin Autoscrub Medium Grade Pads...

Here's Bryan using the Meguiar's G110v2 with the Nanoskin Autoscrub Fine Grade Pad...

Tim is a machine with a machine! Way to go Tim!

Here's Rob using the Griot's DA Polisher with the Nanoskin Autoscrub Medium Grade Pad...

As you can see, just by this first machine step the gloss is already starting to really amp up!

On Autogeek.net

Nanoskin Car Care Products

Mike Phillips

Re: Removing Overspray Paint using Nanoskin Autoscrub Pads

Speed Settings

Porter Cable = 3-4
    Meguiar's G110v2 = 3-4
    Griot's = 2-3
    Cyclo Mark 5 Pro - 4 -5
    Flex 3401 = 2-3

Tips

Use plenty of lube when decontaminating paint with Nanoskin Autoscrub Pads. Wipe any excess residue off when finished with one section and before moving onto a new section.

For heavily contaminated paint, rinse face of pad and agitate gently with a soft brush under running water or in a bucket of clean water. (remove from machine first for safety reasons).

Post Thanks / Like

Do you find you need to use a significant amount more lube for these pads compared to traditional clay?

From many user accounts it seems like they have a tendency to leave a good bit of marring behind. I would assume it is due to lack of lube?

Any thoughts are appreciated since these clay alternatives are looking quite interesting to me.

EDIT: apparently you just posted this info while I was typing! Thanks! haha

Retired Professional Detailer

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by zmcgovern45 View Post
    Do you find you need to use a significant amount more lube for these pads compared to traditional clay?

From many user accounts it seems like they have a tendency to leave a good bit of marring behind. I would assume it is due to lack of lube?

Any thoughts are appreciated since these clay alternatives are looking quite interesting to me.

EDIT: apparently you just posted this info while I was typing! Thanks! haha

One thing I practice and recommend is ANY time I'm going to do any type of decontamination, be it claying or using one of the other forms of mechanically removing contaminants off paint is to already plan on doing at least ONE machine polishing step. This could be using a one-step cleaner/wax or any type of compounding or polishing step.

I have a 2012 Mercedes-Benz 350 detail coming up, the car is verified to have above surface bonded contaminants of some type. I inspected the paint today in full sun and there are no visible swirls.

After I clay the paint, at a minimum I will do one machine polishing step. Watch for this write-up in a couple of weeks.

Post Thanks / Like

Great advice! Looking forward to seeing the write up.

Thanks Mike!

Retired Professional Detailer

Post Thanks / Like
    I use the Griots with the nanoskin, But was wondering what kind of pressure to apply? I have clayed for years now, but stepped up to the Pads and with light pressure just machine weight I felt like I needed more so I added more weight on an already used pad and marred the paint on a black truck. In the end it polished out nicely with an AIO.

Post Thanks / Like

We clayed the car first and I did another baggie test only to find above surface over spray and or contaminants.There was enough lube used that we were spraying each other with the machines.(Good thing we are friends.) I saw no marring.It makes short work of the task at hand.Very little if any pressure with plenty of lube and the machine just glides across the surface.
    "Chrome wheeled, fuel injected and steppin' out over the line"

Post Thanks / Like

Have you ever experienced Nanoskin failure?

I purchased a 6" Nanoskin to fit on the Porter Cable. I have only used the Nanoskin on roughly 10 cars, maybe three months. Already I am getting marring left by the Nanoskin on the glass & the paint. I use goo gone to remove the marring from the paint.

So is this a typical shelf life of Nanoskin? If not, what would be causing the marring on the paint? I use ONR as a form of lubrication, NOT WATER. I have used the Nanoskin on several other cars in the past with no marring issues. As you suggested kept the skin at a level of 3 on cars & bump it up on the glass to 4.

Something I have noticed lately is when the skin has been dried it has a gummy / sticky feeling. It never had this type of gummy feeling before.

When I have cleaned the pad I have used running tap water and my fingers to agitate any materials left on the skin.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 57BORNTORUN View Post
    We clayed the car first and I did another baggie test only to find above surface over spray and or contaminants.There was enough lube used that we were spraying each other with the machines.(Good thing we are friends.) I saw no marring.It makes short work of the task at hand.Very little if any pressure with plenty of lube and the machine just glides across the surface.
    I went crazy on the lube I also had it spraying everywhere, but who knows. I will have to see on the next black car I get. I just need more practice with it and let the weight of the machine do the grunt work.

Post Thanks / Like

is it safe to use the 4 inch pads with the DA power system?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast