autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Water spots

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Water spots

All, let me first start by sincerely apologizing for this post and taking up anyone’s time who can reply. This is to solve a dispute between me and my wife: “What is the harm done by water spots?”. (This of course occurs when watering the plants before moving the car)

Logic doesn’t seem to work. Do you experts have any “proven facts”? I have explained that when the car is still wet dust and other participants will stick to the car’s finish - “but the car is made to handle rain” (wife). And so on and so on.

Again, my apologies in advance.

thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Water spots

From a safety standpoint water spots on glass can affect visibility at night or when there are oncoming headlights. Additionally, depending on the minerals in the water itself a simple wash may not remove the spots, causing you to buy specialized products and spend time removing spots that could easily have been avoided.
    2019 GLI 35th Edition DSG in Pure Grey w/ OEM+ IS38 turbocharger and various bolt-ons.

3. Thanks Desertnate thanked for this post
    Likes Desertnate, PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'll just toss this out there to make your argument even harder to resolve!

It depends....

If the car is dirty, it gets rained on, and then dries in the sun, I've never had any issues with that type of spotting. Even with heavy pollen. It's not fun to clean up, but a good hand wash solves the problem and the car will look good again.

In the case of municipal water/sprinklers, the minerals will dry on and be very hard to remove later. They have also been known to etch the paint in some conditions, though I've not experienced it personally. I have had one of our cars, or a car in my care, get blasted by the sprinklers and it was a big problem. One simply took a lot of time and elbow grease to get rid of the spots. Another I had to polish out the water spots to remove them.

The LSP on a car has a lot to do with damage control. A naked, neglected car might even suffer from just rain water in the right conditions. The better the LSP the better chances of the water spot issues being reduced, but IMO if you're dealing with hose/sprinkler water...watch out!
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

5. Thanks MrGregl thanked for this post
    Likes PouncingPanzer, PaulMys, Prange liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    I'll just toss this out there to make your argument even harder to resolve!

It depends....

If the car is dirty, it gets rained on, and then dries in the sun, I've never had any issues with that type of spotting. Even with heavy pollen. It's not fun to clean up, but a good hand wash solves the problem and the car will look good again.

In the case of municipal water/sprinklers, the minerals will dry on and be very hard to remove later. They have also been known to etch the paint in some conditions, though I've not experienced it personally. I have had one of our cars, or a car in my care, get blasted by the sprinklers and it was a big problem. One simply took a lot of time and elbow grease to get rid of the spots. Another I had to polish out the water spots to remove them.

The LSP on a car has a lot to do with damage control. A naked, neglected car might even suffer from just rain water in the right conditions. The better the LSP the better chances of the water spot issues being reduced, but IMO if you're dealing with hose/sprinkler water...watch out!
    Every Wednesday they purge the sprinkler lines at work when testing fire systems. It dumps out the side of the building at fairly high pressure and usually gets a dozen vehicles wet with dispersed mist. There is no shade. It gets baked on. Ask me how I first learned of this dangerous parking zone....lol. I walked out at lunch, saw my car, and told my supervisor I was leaving early. When he asked why I told him "because facilities decided my car was too clean and trashed it gotta go." He knew it pained me lol

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk
    2019 GLI 35th Edition DSG in Pure Grey w/ OEM+ IS38 turbocharger and various bolt-ons.

7. Likes PaulMys, MrGregl liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Depending on what the water spots are composed of
    But, usually the concern is the minerals in the water being left over after the water evaporates. These minerals can and will etch into the paint/cleacoat, damaging the vehicle.

9. Thanks MrGregl thanked for this post
    Likes PaulMys, MrGregl, Prange liked this post
    Dislikes MrGregl disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by craigdt View Post
    Depending on what the water spots are composed of
    But, usually the concern is the minerals in the water being left over after the water evaporates. These minerals can and will etch into the paint/cleacoat, damaging the vehicle.
    We can send man to the moon, but we can't stop water spots.

11. Likes chilly, PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We need a nitrile wax!

13. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    We can send man to the moon, but we can't stop water spots.
    At Chilly..Where have you been my friend?

15. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrGregl View Post
    All, let me first start by sincerely apologizing for this post and taking up anyone’s time who can reply. This is to solve a dispute between me and my wife: “What is the harm done by water spots?”. (This of course occurs when watering the plants before moving the car)

Logic doesn’t seem to work. Do you experts have any “proven facts”? I have explained that when the car is still wet dust and other participants will stick to the car’s finish - “but the car is made to handle rain” (wife). And so on and so on.

Again, my apologies in advance.

thanks
    Rarely does....... Lol

Me? I'd be in the basement shutting down the outside spigot.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

17. Likes opie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Tap water has minerals to fortify it and make safe to ingest. Also tap water is “harder” than rain water.

When tap water dries on paint the ghosting left behind are the minerals deposited into the paint.

To get her to se the light change your oil and through the old on the plants. Oils are petroleum base. Petroleum comes from the ground… so do plants…. Probably really good for them…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. Thanks PouncingPanzer, MrGregl thanked for this post
    Likes PouncingPanzer, BudgetPlan1, MrGregl liked this post
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast