autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Mud stained clear coat

My son ran his blazer in a mud race Labor day last year and did not clean the mud off until a couple days later. We live in southeast Missouri and there is something in the mud in some of these places has something in it that will stain paint if its not removed quickly. Its happened on a few different trucks I know of over the years. The paint on this truck is SPI universal clear coat that was sanded and buffed when we built the truck 3 years ago. He keeps the truck waxed with meguiars hybrid ceramic wax, and its stored indoors. I tried compounding the spots out with Meguiars M100, but they wound up coming back once whatever glaze type stuff in the compound wore off. The only other time I have personally dealt with this, it was on Dupont Nason clear coat, and a light compounding took care of the stains and they never came back.

I kind of suspect when the mud dries, it somehow wicks out some of the oils from the paint. But that is just a guess. If I close my eyes, I cannot feel any of these spots, the paint doesn't seem to have a texture. The truck is blue and white, the spots are barely visible on the white part. On the blue, it looks pretty bad.

So far, we have compounded with M100 and thats it. I had to work it pretty hard to get the spots to go away and they did not all go away at the time of compounding last fall. It did look alot better than it does now though. I am wondering what direction to go from here. I remember reading somewhere about something Mike Phillips did to rejuvenate paint by leaving a product on the paint overnight. I think it was Meguiars #7 glaze but I cannot remember. Does anyone think this may work or have any other suggestions?

Thanks
    Lynn
    Mud stained clear coat-image000000-6-jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Mud stained clear coat

Have you tried using a mineral deposit remover? Try hitting it with a mineral deposit/water spot remover and then proceed to correct the paint. This should help break down whatever is causing the staining/etching and it will polish out easier.

In some cases polishing out water spots only pushes the minerals that cause the spotting deeper into the paint and they reappear later, this might be the case with your situation. Certainly won't hurt anything.

3. Likes Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Mud stained clear coat

The mud is high in iron content we have it here on farms in Australia good for growing crops, but like you said will stain plastic, paint etc.