autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Weave showing thru paint, wetsand or not?

Hi,

I'm having some problems with the underlying weave of a spoiler showing thru the paint. The part was repainted about 5 yrs ago, no weave showing thru then, but has slowly appeared over the years. I was semi expecting this to happen and the bodyshop did tell me to expect it. I don't know what material the spoiler is made of (maybe PU-RIM or Fiberglass or CF). Maybe the material is wicking the top coat even after so many years?

The question is: should I wetsand the clear coat like I'm removing orange peel? Also, should I even bother if the problem just comes back later.

Attached some photos. Ignore the leaf I needed something for the camera to focus on.

Anyone have any advice? Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Weave showing thru paint, wetsand or not?-screenshot_20210501-155831_gallery-jpg   Weave showing thru paint, wetsand or not?-screenshot_20210501-155812_gallery-jpg   Weave showing thru paint, wetsand or not?-screenshot_20210501-155742_gallery-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Weave showing thru paint, wetsand or not?

I think I’d leave it alone. I definitely wouldn’t wet sand it.
    Glen -

Post Thanks / Like

Definitely avoid wetsanding. If it really bothers you then, PPF of the self healing variety from a reputable company, might be worth looking into.
    I've seen self healing ppf mask some pretty funky stuff, not too sure if the non self healing variety masks defects as well.

Here is a video of the magic in action:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GrtxwxsRVuw

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think wet sanding is as bad an option as others have stated, but it does involve some risk. Being that the part was previously painted there is a pretty good chance that the paint thickness is adequate for wet sanding, but there is no way to know for sure... Thus the risk.

If you are adverse to the risk here's another option...

Wet sand the entire spoiler with something in the neighborhood of 600G to 1000G. Then apply 2 or 3 coats of clear. Now you will have plenty of clear to proceed with sanding and polishing with very little risk.

The only other option is to strip the part and start over. If going this route I'd suggest a 2-component polyester primer surfacer such as Evercoat Feather Fill. The Feather Fill is kind of a hybrid surfacer falling somewhere between a conventional primer surfacer and a gel coat and will provide better hold-out than conventional primer surfacers on composite substrates.