autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

How do I finish off stone chip repair and bumper scuff ??

Hello all.
    Question: should I 3000 grit sand OR use a compound then polish OR just a medium strength polish?
    I'm a "weekend warrior" learning on the job. I have a rotary polisher (Silverline 264569) lots of sandpapers and an abrasive pen.

Background
    I'm on the last stage of a stone chip and bumper scuff repair on a BMW 3 series 2008 in Titan Silver Metallic.
    I've done a huge amount of reading on it all, but TBH I still feel a bit lost... and cautious - given that it didn't really go exactly as in the Youtube videos.
    BMW paint is very thick and "blobby", and I only really got success in sanding it with an abrasive pen. (Using sandpaper on a pencil top eraser seemed to get me nowhere)

I've filled in 8 stone chips, some of which were pretty large. I've also sanded a scuff from a black car that impacted the bumper, and put some touchup paint on.
    All were BMW's own paints and clearcoat. In the pics are the bumper scuff, 3 pics of "double chips" and 2 pics of single chips. All the pics show touched up paint work ie the work done to today.

The current pictures show the paint after clearcoat and touchup paint (to fill the chips/repair the scuff), but before final sanding or compounding or polishing.
    It feels "fairly" smooth, but definitely noticeable with finger touch.

The question
    How would people recommend I finish it all of?

How do I  finish off stone chip repair and bumper scuff ??-bonnet-above-light-2904b-jpgHow do I  finish off stone chip repair and bumper scuff ??-bonnet-left-2904-b-jpgHow do I  finish off stone chip repair and bumper scuff ??-bonnet-mid2904b-jpgHow do I  finish off stone chip repair and bumper scuff ??-bonnet-r-2904-b-jpgHow do I  finish off stone chip repair and bumper scuff ??-bumper-double-2904-b-jpgHow do I  finish off stone chip repair and bumper scuff ??-roof2904-b-jpg

Should I:-

1)Use 1500 or 2000, then 3000, then 4000 grit. And finally a polish with the Rotary polisher and a week later a wax?
    Would Menzerna Intensive Polish then a finishing polish be good choices here?I notice an older thread uses that tactic.

OR
    should I:-2)Use a stronger compound, such as Meguiars M105 then polish and wax after that?
    How much sanding might I need to do before that? I would guess much less sanding?
    Or Meguiars D300 or Meguiars Ultimate?

Is a sanding pen the equivalent of far higher a grit, or is it still comparable to a 1500 grit?

OR

3)
    Adopt another approach again? (Please advise).

Final notes
    I'm cautious about using too powerful a compound. The car is a little grubby in the pics, but its only really the chips and bumper scuff that I want to correct. Generally the paint is in otherwise excellent condition for its age.
    I'm also not entirely clear on which machine pad to use with any compound or polishes.

Of course I will post pics of any completed work, when its done.
    Many thanks for any ideas thoughts you may have.

PS
    the video I based my repair strategy around was this one.
    How To Correctly "Paint Touch-Up" Stone Chips On Your Car To Get The Best Results! - YouTube.
    A medium compound was recommended, but I've since found that the whole compound selection stage seems to be a potential minefield! Also, I found I needed an abrasive pen rather than sandpaper in the early stages.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How do I finish off stone chip repair and bumper scuff ??

This is a tough process to learn or provide instruction other than in-person.

That said, if you want the repairs "leveled", that is best accomplished by sanding. As for the grit, I'd start with 1500. You can, but do not have to, follow that up with something finer. From my perspective, anything finer than 3000 is a waste of time.

Once sanded I would compound/polish by hand. Although you can certainly use a polisher, small touch-up's can be easily polished by hand.

And one final note... Since you are working with a metallic silver color, keep your expectations in-check as far as color matching goes.

3. Thanks Silverrocket thanked for this post
    Likes keegancarcare liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I watched some of the video you linked. At least you picked a pretty good one to follow.

I've seen some touch-up videos that are terrible examples.

For reference, here's a process I follow when doing touch-up's... Discerning Paint Chip Touch-Up; Not for Everyone or Every Chip

5. Thanks Silverrocket thanked for this post
    Likes Silverrocket liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Brilliant thanks.

1) Would it be ok to sand down using the abrasive pen on the "gentle setting" ie having the fibres long in the pen? Would 3000 grit get out the marks it leaves?

I'd decided to redo the paint touchups first time around, and sanding down with 1500 on an eraser tipped pencil seemed hopeless. So I used the sanding pen with far more success.
    Do I literally just want it smooth-ish?
    I was wondering how far a compound might fill in, given that they are actually small chips that just happen to stand out like a sore thumb in certain light as they are duller silver than the rest of the paint.

2)Any ideas which compound and polish should I use?
    Megiuars seem to have loads. Ultimate, D300, M105.
    Would a professional compound be "safe" for me, given that its tiny areas?
    I was tempted to try the retail product Megiuars Ultimate but heard its not great for a rotary polisher.
    And M105 seems to be very strong... maybe too strong for a "weekend warrior", and prone to "dusting".

Alternatively I'm wondering if a strong polish will be all thats necessary after 3000 grit or gently using the sanding pen.
    Many thanks.

PS just seen your 2nd post. Thanks, will take a look.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Silverrocket View Post
    1) Would it be ok to sand down using the abrasive pen on the "gentle setting" ie having the fibres long in the pen? Would 3000 grit get out the marks it leaves?
    I can't comment on the abrasive pen as I have never used one (or even seen one).

Do I literally just want it smooth-ish?
    I was wondering how far a compound might fill in, given that they are actually small chips that just happen to stand out like a sore thumb in certain light as they are duller silver than the rest of the paint.
    The smoother the better... But you need to balance any sanding with the associated risks. Don't get too carried away with the sanding.

I'm not sure what you mean by the compound "filling in".

You should be able to polish out the "dullness", but don't expect a perfect color match. It just can't be done with a brush and a metallic color.

2)Any ideas which compound and polish should I use?
    Megiuars seem to have loads. Ultimate, D300, M105.
    Would a professional compound be "safe" for me, given that its tiny areas?
    I was tempted to try the retail product Megiuars Ultimate but heard its not great for a rotary polisher.
    And M105 seems to be very strong... maybe too strong for a "weekend warrior", and prone to "dusting".

Alternatively I'm wondering if a strong polish will be all thats necessary after 3000 grit or gently using the sanding pen.
    Many thanks.
    I think any of these compounds/polishes will work. You certainly can't go wrong with the Ultimate line.

8. Thanks Silverrocket thanked for this post
    Mike Phillips

Hello all

Question: should I 3000 grit sand OR use a compound then polish OR just a medium strength polish?

I'm a "weekend warrior" learning on the job. I have a rotary polisher (Silverline 264569) lots of sandpapers and an abrasive pen.

[B]Background[/B
    I'm on the last stage of a stone chip and bumper scuff repair on a BMW 3 series 2008 in Titan Silver Metallic.

It's never any fun playing the part of Debbie Downer, (sorry to all the Debbies in the world), but in an effort to merely provide you with some caution-information.

The factory clearcoat on modern cars is thin. Really thin. Thinner than a Post-it Note. See my article here,

Clearcoats are thin by Mike Phillips

Then there's this and the point of the below articles is when sanding and then buffing on factory clearcoat - it's just a matter of time before you turn your buffing pad over and see the color of the basecoat on your pad.

Wetsanding removes paint - Compounding removes paint - Polishing removes a little paint

And this,

What it looks like when you buff through the clearcoat - Burn Through - Strike Through - Mike Phillips

And I like the tip I share here,

Considerations for removing paint defects - the BIG PICTURE

Here's a free tip...

If you're reading this and you're thinking about tackling some type of paint defect on your car. BEFORE you start the project, just for fun - take the car to a few local body shops and simply ask them,

What will it cost me to repaint the hood? (or the blank)

Now let that sink in. Besides the cost and hassle of getting a panel repainted - you'll now have a car that no longer has all the factory paint.

10. Thanks Silverrocket thanked for this post
    Mike Phillips

Besides all the Negative Nancy stuff I shared above, (apologies to all the Nancys in the world),

Here's my suggestion...

After you're done applying any touch-up paint.

Let the paint dry for 2-3 weeks. If you can, park your car outside in hot sunny weather. You want the touch-up paint to full dry and harden.

Then LIGHTLY sand, or even just SCUFF the tops a little.

Then carefully, carefully buff out your sanding marks. Above all else - DO NOT GET THE AREA HOT. If you get the section of paint hot where you're buffing what usually happens is the touch-up paint softens and your buffing pad will yank it off the car.

Now you get to start over. Only now, due to the work you've done in this area, it's likely the paint is thinner than when you started. Thus you increase the risk of buffing through the surrounding clear when working on the touch-up paint.

I've done this type of work successfully. I've also experienced what I've described above.

For me, dab on some touch-up paint, less is more and then walk away.

12. Thanks Silverrocket thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm with Mike, touch it up and walk away. The cure may very well be worse than the disease.

14. Thanks Silverrocket thanked for this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Prep Pen - Adjustable Sanding Pen

This was the type of pen I used. Its glass fibres. You can set it to long, where the fibres bend and act softly. Or short, and you can really push down harder to get the equivalent of a lower grit. It doesn't seem to leave noticeable "channels" in the way a low grit sandpaper would, but I suppose its guesswork as to what grit equivalent its like. The promo material says it won't scratch chrome. The broken shards can be potentially dangerous tho.

Having seen some of the compound videos/more abrasive polishouts of scratches, I was thinking that I could get past the look you get with touchup and no polish.
    Right now, even tho the paint is the same, the patch ups can really stick out in some lights.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Besides all the Negative Nancy stuff I shared above, (apologies to all the Nancys in the world),

Here's my suggestion...

After you're done applying any touch-up paint.

Let the paint dry for 2-3 weeks. If you can, park your car outside in hot sunny weather. You want the touch-up paint to full dry and harden.

Then LIGHTLY sand, or even just SCUFF the tops a little.

Then carefully, carefully buff out your sanding marks. Above all else - DO NOT GET THE AREA HOT. If you get the section of paint hot where you're buffing what usually happens is the touch-up paint softens and your buffing pad will yank it off the car.

Now you get to start over. Only now, due to the work you've done in this area, it's likely the paint is thinner than when you started. Thus you increase the risk of buffing through the surrounding clear when working on the touch-up paint.

I've done this type of work successfully. I've also experienced what I've described above.

For me, dab on some touch-up paint, less is more and then walk away.

Hi Mike.
    Thanks for all your detailed info.
    I'm keen to give some sort of polishing or compounding or machine work a go.
    I know I don't want to use too much compound, maybe not too strong a compound. And not leave the machine on too long or have it too hard or fast.
    But I'm keen to at least try and develop my skills in a cautious way. Because at least once I've learned it, I have a skill I can keep.

Chip repair companies in England (the mobile ones) just refuse to look at metallic.
    I had a rough quote for a bonnet respray and it was a ridiculous amount which wasn't justified given the vehicle, IMO. One or two chip repair companies reckoned I should try and fix it myself given the multi day nature of it all. (They try and do the whole job in 2 hrs or so).

I think I will try and cautiously flatten the paint. Have you used sanding pens? Would you recommend one instead of the 1500 grit, before final refinement with 3000 or higher grit?
    My final debate is whether to use a polish or compound and which one. Together with machine and what pad. Or whether to try hand, then maybe a final polish using my machine. Figuring out which compound/polish and equipment seem really hard tho.

Maybe I could try and gentle polish, then move onto a compound if that failed?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast