autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How do I finish off stone chip repair and bumper scuff ??

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Besides all the Negative Nancy stuff I shared above, (apologies to all the Nancys in the world),

Here's my suggestion...

After you're done applying any touch-up paint.

Let the paint dry for 2-3 weeks. If you can, park your car outside in hot sunny weather. You want the touch-up paint to full dry and harden.

Then LIGHTLY sand, or even just SCUFF the tops a little.

Then carefully, carefully buff out your sanding marks. Above all else - DO NOT GET THE AREA HOT. If you get the section of paint hot where you're buffing what usually happens is the touch-up paint softens and your buffing pad will yank it off the car.

Now you get to start over. Only now, due to the work you've done in this area, it's likely the paint is thinner than when you started. Thus you increase the risk of buffing through the surrounding clear when working on the touch-up paint.

I've done this type of work successfully. I've also experienced what I've described above.

For me, dab on some touch-up paint, less is more and then walk away.

PS Sorry this is probably a silly question here. You would recommend I flatten the touchup to be fairly smooth with the surrounding area first?
    ie with 1500 grit, or a sanding pen?

My chip repairs are currently "mostly flat", but one or two are a little raised right now, compared to the surrounding area.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Silverrocket View Post
    PS Sorry this is probably a silly question here. You would recommend I flatten the touchup to be fairly smooth with the surrounding area first?
    ie with 1500 grit, or a sanding pen?

My chip repairs are currently "mostly flat", but one or two are a little raised right now, compared to the surrounding area.
    Have you looked into Dr. ColorChip? Great diy for paint chips

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I hear its easier to use than BMW's own paint.
    But I also hear the good results aren't as good as BMW paint.
    Right now, I've sort of filled in the chips with BMW paint. (Perhaps there's some more bits to fill).
    So basically I'm at finishing off stage.
    I've also bumped into a prof detailer who may be a reasonably priced solution if I "run aground" in my efforts.

4. Likes Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

After reading your recent posts and questions...

Let me reiterate... Don't expect perfection! Keep your expectations "real". Being a metallic color complicates the issue as the color and metallic dispersion within the chip is never going to match anywhere close to perfectly.

For compounding/polishing, put away your polisher (unless you have a 1-incher). And even then, I would still opt for hand polishing the initial touch-up. It is so much easier to control the amount of paint removed by hand. Once you have hand polished all of the chip repairs, then going over the entire panel with your polisher is a good final step.

I think you are over-thinking the compound vs. polish product selection. Either will work for the initial cut although the effort required will vary between products. Regardless of the product used, you're going to be experimenting to some point. The hardness of the touch-up paint is not going to be the same as the original finish so some experimenting is required to achieve the desired results.

6. Thanks Silverrocket thanked for this post
    Likes Silverrocket liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12