autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Mike Phillips

Scuff and Buff Wetsanding Technique - 1937 Ford Slantback Streetrod - Single Stage Urethane

Scuff and Buff Wetsanding Technique - 1937 Ford Slantback Streetrod - Single Stage Urethane

At the February 2021 3-day detailing bootcamp class, we had 2 cars here for the wetsanding class. In this class I taught two techniques,

1: Scuff & Buff - 1937 Ford Slantback Streetrod - Single Stage Urethane

2: Softbock Hand Sanding - 1963 Plymouth Fury Drag Car - Basecoat/Clearcoat

The Scuff & Buff is just like it sounds, the paint is lightly sanded or scuffed and then the normal process of using a rotary polisher with a wool pad is used to remove the sanding marks followed by machine polishing with an orbital polisher.

This 1937 Ford with a brand new single stage urethane paint job had a lot of overspray on it plus orange peel and dirt specs in the paint. Plus what I call mottling, which is simply a non-flat or not glossy surface.

Most of the students in the class had never wetsanded an entire car before this class. It's a daunting task even for a seasoned professional. It's a LOT more complicated than sanding a small section on a flat demo hood, which is what take place at most car detailing classes. What makes this class even more daunting is this portion of the 3-day class takes place first thing in the morning on the 3rd day. By now... these people have detailed 12+ cars in about 20 hours and they are both muscle-tired and brain-tired. Yet they catch their second wind and never cease to amaze me each time I teach this class.

Here's the after pictures for the 1937 Ford Slantback after being put through a thorough Scuff & Buff Wetsanding process.

The owner was completely impressed with the work and the results from the February 2021 Detailing Bootcamp Class.

Amazing freaking results everyone. Job well done.

2. Likes JKDesign liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Re: Scuff and Buff Wetsanding Technique - 1937 Ford Slantback Streetrod - Single Stage Urethane

Here's the wool cutting pads after buffing out the wetsanding marks out of the 1937 Ford Streetrod.

Yup... that's the color of the paint on the pads...

Foam polishing pads are the same color...

The picture below shows you why you WANT and old school style top loading AGITATOR washing machine.

Look at the aggressive cleaning action taking place.

Wool Dust Bunnies NOT on the floor in my garage.

Here they are ready for blasting with the Tornador Air Blow Out Gun

And here they are drying...

Ready for this weekend's Marine 31 Boat Detailing Class.

If you want to take a totally hands-on class, my classes are the real-deal. Clear your schedule, get signed up.

4. Likes JKDesign liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Scuff and Buff Wetsanding Technique - 1937 Ford Slantback Streetrod - Single Stage Urethane

Wow.....Love the color and even more, the mirror like surface!

Thanks for write up!

Been following everything posted from the class!

Tom
    Mr Tommy's
    Wash, Buff, Wax

Post Thanks / Like

Great results by the class!!! The paint looks awesome- nice and vibrant!!! Wish I could say the same for the bodywork underneath that paint.........

In the end what matters most is a happy customer that gets a lot of enjoyment and excitement out of their pride and joy. And, lots of smiles for miles!!!

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by TMQ View Post

Wow.....Love the color and even more, the mirror like surface!

Thanks for write up!

Been following everything posted from the class!

Tom
    Orange is my favorite color so I like it too... they did a great job chopping the top.

We did another streetrod painted by the same company, some of you may not have seen this project. Just a guess - but I think we do and document more wetsanding work on this forum than any other detail site.

Wetsanding Project - 1929 Ford Model A Sedan Delivery Streetrod

BEFORE

AFTER

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by JKDesign View Post

Great results by the class!!! The paint looks awesome- nice and vibrant!!!
    Agree. When I get time I'll share the pictures of this class actually doing the sanding and buffing.

Wish I could say the same for the bodywork underneath that paint.........
    The are affordable paint jobs by a great local body shop. A person could easily invest $30,000.00 into any quality paint job on streetrod, resto-rod, custom or muscle car but that's not this style. And the good news is - because they owner doesn't tie up a lot of money into the paint jobs of the hotrods he flips - he's completely comfortable letting absolute strangers WETSAND his cars.

In the end what matters most is a happy customer that gets a lot of enjoyment and excitement out of their pride and joy.

And, lots of smiles for miles!!!

Exactly . And me? I just like having actual CARS and not just any cars but the kind of cars you would see on a "Car Guy TV Show" here for my class to train on. In all the other classes, what you normally see are the students sanding and buffing on hoods and fenders. Nothing wrong with this and I've used hoods in my past classes. The deal is though - there's no IMPACT.

Anyone that takes one of my classes knows what I mean when I use the word - IMPACT.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Agree. When I get time I'll share the pictures of this class actually doing the sanding and buffing.

The are affordable paint jobs by a great local body shop. A person could easily invest $30,000.00 into any quality paint job on streetrod, resto-rod, custom or muscle car but that's not this style. And the good news is - because they owner doesn't tie up a lot of money into the paint jobs of the hotrods he flips - he's completely comfortable letting absolute strangers WETSAND his cars.

Exactly . And me? I just like having actual CARS and not just any cars but the kind of cars you would see on a "Car Guy TV Show" here for my class to train on. In all the other classes, what you normally see are the students sanding and buffing on hoods and fenders. Nothing wrong with this and I've used hoods in my past classes. The deal is though - there's no IMPACT.

Anyone that takes one of my classes knows what I mean when I use the word - IMPACT.

With Mike's tutelage, my son Kyle and I did most of the rear end of the 37 Ford Slantback. The orange paint on the old coupe was solid, but the transformation was amazing!

What a great learning experience! You just can't get better hands-on training!

The owner now has a "Show Car Shine" for sure

10. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by SenecaCorvette View Post

With Mike's tutelage, my son Kyle and I did most of the rear end of the 37 Ford Slantback. The orange paint on the old coupe was solid, but the transformation was amazing!
    Agree.

The before and after difference from how this car looked when it arrived and how it looked when the class was done? Words cannot describe. But I'll try,

FREAKING AMAZING!

Quote Originally Posted by SenecaCorvette View Post

What a great learning experience! You just can't get better hands-on training!
    Thank you.

I put a LOT of energy into getting these types of cars here so everyone has a great experience and a REAL-WORLD experience.

IF you look at ANY other class - everyone is working on a flat surface, that is a HOOD, on a fender stand. It doesn't get any easier than this.

And while sure, you do learn how to move your hand and run a rotary buffer - there's no risk. There's no FEAR FACTOR if you screw up.

When you train on the real-deal, some other guy's streetrod or muscle car with actual custom paint jobs - now you're learning. And this makes for a great educational experience.

I read comments by all the experts on Facebook say things like,

You don't need to go to a detailing class, just watch YouTube and practice on a panel from the salvage yard.

So says the guy that has never taken a real class.

Thanks again for taking both the boat class and my 3-day car class, it was a pleasure to have both you and your son attend.