autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Beginner - Burn Through

This may not be the right place for this post. I'm learning how to "buff our" or "color sand". It's on an RV on a nice flat surface. I used the same paint as used by the manufacturer (Sikkens) and their two part clear coat. When I went to "buff it out" and get rid of the orange peel I quickly burned through some of the clear coat. Just the clear coat so not a huge deal. I think the problem was my prep work (thus the reason it's not for this specific area of the forum).

When applying clear coat how is it properly blended in? I think my error was that I sanded my "work area" where I was repairing a scratch but didn't go much beyond that. The existing clear coat has a very high degree of shine, like a mirror. I extended the "new" clear coat into that area and it's that area that "burned through". In retrospect I'm thinking the right process is to lightly sand with 800, 1200 or even 1500 grit sandpaper... probably wet sand... the existing clear coat surrounding the repair area. Extend this to outside where I apply the new clear coat. This will allow full adhesion of the new clear coat, for the patch, and then I can buff out the "old" clear coat where I'd roughed it up. So... kind of like a bulls eye with 4 rings. The center is the repaired area. Prior to painting I lightly sand and rough up the center and the next two rings. The final ring (and the rest of the area) are untouched. When applying clear coat I do the center and the first ring. Then I "color sand" the center and first ring. After than I "buff out" the center and the next two rings, repairing where I roughed it up.

Am I on the right track? Thanks for any help pushing me in the right direction.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Beginner - Burn Through

You need to get advice from a painter, not a detailer.

As an old painter I can tell you that blending 2-component clears and expecting anything better than what I would classify as mediocre (or worse) results is not possible.

What you are trying to do, blend in the middle of a large flat panel and achieve a good result, is nearly impossible to do even for an experienced painter.

That aside, when doing any type of blending the existing finish needs to be sanded as far, or beyond, as the new topcoat will be applied.

Mike Phillips

All I can say is I admire your passion to take on such a daunting task.

I've never been a fan of "blend lines" and that's what you're going, blending a clearcoat topcoat over the repair area and then on to existing clearcoat. Afterwards, somehow sanding everything, buffing out all your sanding marks and then having the average person stand back and look at it and have it look good and also normal.

Tough to do. Like 2black1s posted, tough to do even for a experienced painter.

For reference, mostly for me, here's the link to your other thread, I'm assuming for this same project.

Beginner - Recommended Process

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you both very much.

I didn't know that... that it's very difficult to "blend in". I thought it was common practice. I had heard that it was difficult with paint, particularly metallic finishes but I thought (incorrectly) that Clear Coat was OK. I truly thank you for the feedback. Lesson learned.

Mike,
    Yes the other thread is me. I've been fixing things all my life. To me this is just another "fixing" challenge. It does seem to have a pretty steep learning curve. :-)

Thanks again.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Just4Fun20 View Post

Mike,

Yes the other thread is me. I've been fixing things all my life. To me this is just another "fixing" challenge. It does seem to have a pretty steep learning curve. :-)

Thanks again.
    There's a lot of us in the "Fixing Club".

You're in good company.

6. Likes PaulMys liked this post