autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Compound selection after 2000 grit

I have about 15 2021 Silverado trucks starting to cycle out of our Bodyshop and headed to my bays.

The painter sends them to me for sanding of the dirt nibs, fisheyes and other defects. We have an old booth that doesn’t hold temp well so there are defects a plenty!

Given the sheer volume of work headed my way I’m looking for some advice on compounds after sanding down to 2000 grit.

On small spots I typically use Wolfgang UBER compound and an orange pad, but that would get expensive real quick with all of these trucks. Hoping to find some more cost effective compounds and I am open to good pad choices as well. I have a good stock of Lake Country Hybrid pads but no wool or wool blends.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Compound selection after 2000 grit

These trucks are GM owned and will be sent to auction afterwards so they don’t need to be of perfect quality. They are all different colors and some only need one panel done while others are 6 panels in need of work. ie marching the factory orange peel and taking out the imperfections from their trip to the paint booth.

Post Thanks / Like

Rotary with 3D ACA 500 paired with a Hex Logic Orange foam pad will knock 2000 grit out pretty quick.
    I run it around 1100-1200 rpms
    Ripping through your mind like a hurricane full of novocaine

4. Likes JT Moto liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JT Moto View Post
    I have about 15 2021 Silverado trucks starting to cycle out of our Bodyshop and headed to my bays.

The painter sends them to me for sanding of the dirt nibs, fisheyes and other defects. We have an old booth that doesn’t hold temp well so there are defects a plenty!

Given the sheer volume of work headed my way I’m looking for some advice on compounds after sanding down to 2000 grit.

On small spots I typically use Wolfgang UBER compound and an orange pad, but that would get expensive real quick with all of these trucks. Hoping to find some more cost effective compounds and I am open to good pad choices as well. I have a good stock of Lake Country Hybrid pads but no wool or wool blends.

Whooa, that many damaged trucks? Menzerna 400 is not cheap, but in most cases you can 1 step, except for black paint. For the extra step that it will save you it's more than worth the cost of the compound.

6. Likes JT Moto liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    Whooa, that many damaged trucks? Menzerna 400 is not cheap, but in most cases you can 1 step, except for black paint. For the extra step that it will save you it's more than worth the cost of the compound.
    Yes, I’m sure it was either a train load or a couple of car haulers that had bad days. These things are stacked up all over the place. If I can one step it, that would pay for itself with just the time saved.

Post Thanks / Like

My goto compound is Meguiars M105. If I get myself in a situation where M105 cannot remove the sanding scratches, I switch to M101 and they get removed. It really depends on the paint hardness. I use a DA with a foam cutting pad to remove sanding scratches, if you use something more agressive like a rotary and/or wool pads, you might not need as agressive a compound.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Calendyr View Post
    My goto compound is Meguiars M105. If I get myself in a situation where M105 cannot remove the sanding scratches, I switch to M101 and they get removed. It really depends on the paint hardness. I use a DA with a foam cutting pad to remove sanding scratches, if you use something more agressive like a rotary and/or wool pads, you might not need as agressive a compound.
    I used to use 105 quite a bit but moved on from it for no real reason. I ordered a flex rotary to help me power through these a bit quicker. Given how bad the booth is, there is more correction than I care to admit. I ordered the compounds listed by the other guys, and I still have some 105. I may end up just spreading the love around on the first couple of trucks and then find what’s going to work best for me so I don’t end up buried in these things in addition to my normal workload.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JT Moto View Post
    I used to use 105 quite a bit but moved on from it for no real reason. I ordered a flex rotary to help me power through these a bit quicker. Given how bad the booth is, there is more correction than I care to admit. I ordered the compounds listed by the other guys, and I still have some 105. I may end up just spreading the love around on the first couple of trucks and then find what’s going to work best for me so I don’t end up buried in these things in addition to my normal workload.

The one reason I can think of for switching from M105 would be the dusting. I never use it to compound a car. I just use it for wetsanding scratch marks removal, so because it's a very small area, I don't mind the little dust it creates. On a whole car though, what a pain!

Post Thanks / Like

Any updates?

Just curious how it's going/went.
    Ripping through your mind like a hurricane full of novocaine

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 98CayenneTA View Post
    Any updates?

Just curious how it's going/went.
    Shortly after this post I tested positive for COVID so I won’t know until Monday when I get back to work.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast