autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Truck Topper Paint and Fiberglass Repair

I found a great deal on a LEER Topper for my 2020 Tacoma. It has some damage to the passenger-side skirt where it overhangs the bed rail that I need to repair. I've done some fiberglass repairs before but they have always been somewhere that they are covered up or otherwise a non-issue if the repair could be seen. In this case, I need to do this in a way that I can touch up the paint and with any luck, be invisible to someone unless I point it out to them!

I understand fiberglass pieces like this frequently have a "gel coat" versus paint. I'm not sure if that's the case with this, or if it matters in terms of what I use to touch it up. Any ideas? I'm doing some research into how to fill in the chips before sanding and repainting this area too. I've used "Bondo Glass" with great success for filling small areas like this before, but since it's dark colored I wonder if it might be easier to get a finished look using something that dries white. JB Weld makes some epoxies that dry white and seems like could also be suitable for this.

Any advice on the process for filling, sanding, painting, and finally - cutting and buffing for this?

I'll be posting some progress photos once I begin repairing this.

Truck Topper Paint and Fiberglass Repair-20201006_131019-jpgTruck Topper Paint and Fiberglass Repair-20201006_131025-jpgTruck Topper Paint and Fiberglass Repair-20201006_131033-jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Truck Topper Paint and Fiberglass Repair

I think I'd investigate/try something like Evercoat's "Gel-Kote" repair products ...

Post Thanks / Like

Having worked in the marine industry for over 30 years, there is no better filler for fiberglass repair than this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 57Rambler View Post
    I think I'd investigate/try something like Evercoat's "Gel-Kote" repair products ...
    I'll definitely look into that product, thanks for the suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post

Having worked in the marine industry for over 30 years, there is no better filler for fiberglass repair than this.
    That's quite the testimonial, very much appreciated. Do you have any advice specific to this kind of repair or should it be pretty straightforward?a

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by 02TACO20 View Post

I'll definitely look into that product, thanks for the suggestion.

That's quite the testimonial, very much appreciated. Do you have any advice specific to this kind of repair or should it be pretty straightforward?
    If you've never done any custom fiberglass work while it's not super hard, there is some technique and skill required. At least you have the back portion to work with,

My advice would be to rebuild in steps, that is don't try to fix in one application. Build-up and build-out. Gravity is going to be your enemy.

There's probably some talented people on this forum that can provide some step-by-step info - you might also look for a boat restoration forum, maybe TheHullTruth.com

Post Thanks / Like

Well, the pic looks to me like there is both fiberglass and gel coat involved.

Hence my recommendation of the Evercoat product. You can layer it to repair larger damages, and it will yield a better finish than fiberglass ... not molded quality finish, but decent enough.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post

My advice would be to rebuild in steps, that is don't try to fix in one application. Build-up and build-out. Gravity is going to be your enemy.

Actually Mike, the 3M id designed to fill areas such as in the OP's pics in one application. When mixed, it is the consistency of cold peanut butter, and man does it stay put.

It's really amazing stuff.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.