autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

What ros palm sander?

Im a detailer and have done few orange peel removal jobs with rupes duetto and mini. Im going to buy palmsander, but which one? Mirka Pros or Rupes Skorpio? But which orbit size?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What ros palm sander?

All of our shops use Dynabrade palm sanders, i have never used the two you mentioned so i can't compare them

I will say i have had the same Dynabrade sander for at least 20 years and It's still going strong.

Just make sure you have a large enough air compressor.

3. Likes Joel1979 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Prolly get Mirka(its from Finland like me) or Rupes(im a fanboy lol).

Im just debating the orbit size. 9mm or 6mm( 8mm and 5mm Mirka).

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Strong66 View Post

All of our shops use Dynabrade palm sanders, i have never used the two you mentioned so i can't compare them

I will say i have had the same Dynabrade sander for at least 20 years and It's still going strong.

Just make sure you have a large enough air compressor.
    I have a Dynabrade Palm Sander, built like a tank.

Quote Originally Posted by Joel1979 View Post

Prolly get Mirka(its from Finland like me) or Rupes(im a fanboy lol).

Im just debating the orbit size. 9mm or 6mm( 8mm and 5mm Mirka).

RUPES new Skorpio works great and like all RUPES tools is well-designed.

Rupes Skorpio RH 356A 6 Inch Pneumatic Random Orbital Palm Sander

The SMALLER the orbit stroke the less aggressive the sanding action.

The LARGER the orbit stroke the more aggressive the sanding action

Because larger also means faster, (generally speaking), I would go big and rely on fine grade cutting discs for your "safety" aspect.

Stick with sanding discs like the 3M Trizact #3000, #5000 and #8000 and you really can't go wrong.

Mike Phillips

Here's a recent machine sanding project I did to remove surface texture and orange peel.

I used Griot's electric polishers and damp sanded the hood on an old 2-door Chevy but you can do the same type of work using pneumatic tools.

Review: Wolfgang Si02 Paint Sealant

My test vehicle
    I normally try to use a German manufactured car when using product from Wolfgang as it fits the German theme better, but the reality is, this product is formulated to bond to car paint, specifically URETHANE car paint. So the product doesn't care if you use it on a Chevy, a Mercedes-Benz or even a Yugo - as long as the paint is smooth and clean.

1967 Camaro Convertible

Now to the untrained eye, this Camaro probably looks pretty good?

To the trained eyes, it needs a lot of damage repair.

Mottling
    Paint mottling is the term used to describe what looks like a grainy surface texture after respraying. It's DIFFERENT than Orange Peel. Orange Peel, as the name suggests, looks like the surface texture of an orange peel, with high spots, (mountains), and low spots, (valleys). What was interesting to me was the fenders did not have the mottling texture, in fact they had a nice flat surface with excellent D.O.I. or Distinction of Image.

Here's the section of the hood I'm going to get a close-up shot of - I'm framing-up this shot so you can see where I'm looking. I couldn't capture the mottling appearance from this far away.

Now that I've moved my camera in closer and used my finger to give the camera something to focus on - NOW you can see the mottling. Buffing won't fix mottling just like buffing won't fix orange peel. So I'm going to machine damp sand the hood.

Deep RIDS
    Besides the mottling, there were a few areas with RIDS or Random Isolated Deeper Scratches. for these I'll frame-up the shot and the take a close-up to showcase these defects.

There's some wacky deeper scratches on the driver's side of the hood next to the edge.

There are actually some arc scratches in this area that only appear with a swirl finder light....

See them? Going against the grain of the straight-line scratches? The owner has know idea where these came from.

Machine Damp Sanding

When it comes to machine sanding someone else's toy? My rule of thumb is I do my research first, then measure the paint thickness and then proceed. Because I didn't think this was a super high quality paint job, I chose to play it safe and used 3M Trizact #5000 in 5" and 3" sanding discs.

Here's the hood machine damp sanded....

This is a 3M Trizact 5" #5000 grit sanding disc.

It perfectly fits onto my G9 with a 5" Griot's backing plate.

Here you can see a foam interface pad in-between the backing plate and the sanding disc. The foam interface makes for a smoother sanding process as it allows the face of the sanding disc to conform to the curve of a panel. It also decreases the aggressiveness of the sanding a little making it much safer when working on someone else's toy.

Here's the Trizact 3" #5000 grit sanding disc...

I prefer the compact size of the now discontinued Griot's 3" Mini Polisher for machine sanding but you can use the new replacement, the Griot's G8

And here you can see the foam interface between the backing plate and the sanding disc.

Here's the machine damp sanded hood after wiping off the sanding slurry.

Even though the sanding marks are still in the paint, you can now see the increase in distinction of image in the reflection of the overhead tube lights. This means my goal is accomplished.

7. Likes Farmallluvr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

On a darker color the 3m Trizact 8000 grit discs will leave a mirror like finish.