autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Can't get a good gloss from SprayMax

Just recently bought an '06 Ram that had the obligatory rusted out bed wheel wells. I cut them out, did the body work, used PPG ShopLine color matched in a spray can for the base and three coats of SprayMax 2K clear coat. I covered the entire side in the clear coat. Waited about a day and a half before I tried wet sanding. After wet sanding with 1,000 then 2,000 then buffing out first with Meguiar's 205 but then I ran out and used some Turtle Wax liquid rubbing compound, both with an orange pad. Neither one got a clear glossy reflection. I have some reflection but there's a haziness to it that isn't even close to the stock paint. Do I need a better compound? Would I be better off trying a wool pad? I have never used them and have read they can be very aggressive. I like Meguiar's products and though maybe I should try something like their 110 but not sure if it'll work or not. I prefer to use something I can get locally as I need to get this done ASAP.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Can't get a good gloss from SprayMax

Three coats of clear out of a spray can will yield you a ton of orange peel.

Post Thanks / Like

Can't get a good gloss from SprayMax

I have used SprayMax 2k for years custom painting and never had an issue with gloss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Owner/Operator Auto Massage LLC - www.automassagellc.com
    Custom painter and commissioned artist - www.spikedairstudio.com

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I think I possibly didn't put it on heavy enough. Picked up a bottle of Meguiar's 105 and ran that on it a couple times and it looks a lot better. I'll leave it as is for about a month when I can wax and cut it one more time before waxing.

Post Thanks / Like

Might be not aggressive enough sanding to be honest. Are you sanding by hand or by machine? Because if you sanded by hand, that could be why. Probably needs to be sanded flatter and then try cutting it with 105 then 205.
    2016 Mazda 3 Sports GT
    2015 Lexus IS250 F Sport

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I was sanding by hand. The couple times I have tried machine sanding, it took way too much off so I was staying away from that. Plus I can't find the higher grit discs anywhere near me and I'm too impatient to order them. Either way, looks good enough now and like I said, in a few weeks I will hit it again then wax. I do have other spots like on the bottom on the doors that I am working on now but they aren't near as big as the bed area I was working on. Shouldn't have any problems since they are kind of out of sight so don't have to be perfect.

Actually I will be putting a set of fender flares on it in the next couple days and I will be painting them to color match. Says they are paintable but not sure if I would still need a coat of primer on them before paint or if I could just lightly sand then throw base coat on them.