autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to NOT Wetsand through Clear when doing Touch Ups?

What those pictures look like to me is...

1. The chip is not filled enough. It is still below the level of the original finish.

2. The touch up paint has exceeded the margins of the chip creating a high area around the chip. As a result of this the center area of the touch up appears low. This is the "dent" you speak of, although it's not really a dent at all. It's the chip that hasn't been built up with paint enough yet.

One of the key steps in touching up chips is to keep the paint inside the chip. Exceeding the margins of the chip leads to the results you are encountering.

I have a thread on here somewhere detailing my process for touch-ups. I'll search for it and provide a link when I get a chance.

Here's the link... Discerning Paint Chip Touch-Up; Not for Everyone or Every Chip

2. Thanks tmdals0213, N/A thanked for this post
    Likes N/A, tmdals0213 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to NOT Wetsand through Clear when doing Touch Ups?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    I'll give it a try on my Jimmy after the glue has dried that's holding the #1000 Grit Sandpaper to the Pencil Erasure.

I think a lower grit would actually work better, like #600 or #800 but #1000 is as low as I had at my desk.

Thank you so much for the posts Mr. Phillips, I think are about 6 different articles you wrote regarding touch up and sanding, and even having read them 10+ times - touch up jobs are definitely not the easiest nor something I'd want to ever do again haha.

I'm going to give it another go and report back!

Quote Originally Posted by 2black1s View Post
    What those pictures look like to me is...

Here's the link... Discerning Paint Chip Touch-Up; Not for Everyone or Every Chip
    Thank you sir! As you and Mr. Phillips have stated, I too am now agreeing with the fact that the paint that exceeds the margin + not enough paint in the void is whats causing this "dented" look.

And your touch up write up is superb and so concise, thank you so much! I'm going to give it another go with thinner layers and see if I can do a better job, will report back!!

-

One extra question I have is, if the base coat is under the margin, and the clear is to be flush with the margin, wouldn't it cause the chip margin to still be seen?

Because, while the margin will be reduced with the initial sanding, wouldn't there still be a visible outline of the chip - maginified by the clear coat + base coat being "blended" with the margin?

Hopefully my explaination made sense.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12