autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

Dog Scratches on a new Sienna

Hi Guys, new poster, old detailer from the early 2000's but been out of the game for the last 16 years. My wifes poodle got a tennis ball stuck under our new Toyota Sienna and decided to dig his way through my front fascia to get it. I have alot of scratches in the clear coat, only a couple of nail drags appear to be through the paint. Any recommondations for how to attack this repair? I still have my trusty Dewalt High speed buffer with the 8 inch wheels but I think I need something smaller for these curves. Additioanlly I'm not up to speed on current product lines for compounds and polish. I used to use Car-Brite and Seal-B but need some advise on that. Also the car is coated in Megiars ceramic, does that need to get removed before polishing?

The shot below is the worst on the facia but he also scratched the passenger side sliding door 2x and one other smaller spot but much less damage on those.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dog Scratches on a new Sienna-unnamed-jpg  

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dog Scratches on a new Sienna

Hey there!

That doggie might have to skip a treat or two... Dog Scratches on a new Sienna

As for the scratches, I would try some 3000 grit sanding paper (usually comes in a sponge-like cloth) and some rubbing compound after that. (If 3000 takes too long to level the paint, maybe 2500 or even 2000.) After the compounding, then a polish that'll refine the surface. Then you can re-apply the/a ceramic, which definitely gets removed in the process.

I love Menzerna polishing compounds. I would use 400 for the cutting (compounding) and 3500 for the finishing, with appropriate pads.

As for the smaller areas, there's adapters for your DeWalt buffer, for smaller disks.

Easy does it, my friend - take your time!

Sent from my SM-G988U1 using Tapatalk

3. Likes 627PCFan liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Some pics

Sent from my SM-G988U1 using Tapatalk

Mike Phillips

First post...

Welcome to AutogeekOnline!

Quote Originally Posted by 627PCFan View Post

Hi Guys, new poster, old detailer from the early 2000's but been out of the game for the last 16 years. My wifes poodle got a tennis ball stuck under our new Toyota Sienna and decided to dig his way through my front fascia to get it.

I have a lot of scratches in the clear coat, only a couple of nail drags appear to be through the paint. Any recommondations for how to attack this repair?

I still have my trusty Dewalt High speed buffer with the 8 inch wheels but I think I need something smaller for these curves.

Additioanlly I'm not up to speed on current product lines for compounds and polish. I used to use Car-Brite and Seal-B but need some advise on that.

Also the car is coated in Megiars ceramic, does that need to get removed before polishing?

The shot below is the worst on the facia but he also scratched the passenger side sliding door 2x and one other smaller spot but much less damage on those.

Here's your picture,

My guess is you can improve these scratches but probably not completely remove them or all of them.

Because you already have a rotary, I'd hit that area with some compound and go until you hit your "comfort level".

You can do some light sanding first, this tends to keep the HEAT down versus JUST compounding with a rotary.

Just be careful or you'll go through the clearcoat and then you'll be getting that are repainted.

Also - if you don't have an orbital polisher - I'd suggest getting one. It's really the best way to follow any rotary work and you can use it for your all your cars for both correction and maintenance.

6. Likes Craig Encinitas liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Here's this,

Check out the pictures at the bottom of post #2

When to stop buffing - Or - How far should you go to remove swirls and scratches?

And if you've never seen this article, check it out and find a Post-it Note when you're reading it. Do what I show in the pictures.

Clearcoats are thin by Mike Phillips

8. Likes Reno liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My buddy is a service manager at a Mercedes dealership. Customer came in, said their Germann Shepherd went nuts chasing a squirrel. The squirrel did ok, not so much for the Merc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LSNAutoDetailing View Post
    My buddy is a service manager at a Mercedes dealership. Customer came in, said their Germann Shepherd went nuts chasing a squirrel. The squirrel did ok, not so much for the Merc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ouch! BAD DOG!!!!
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks to everyone with the help. There were 5 total spots where the dog dug, I got 4 of the 5 completely removed and the last was a judgement call on how much clear I was willing to lose on a 2 year old car. I used 3000 grit wet dry sand paper followed by Lake City Orange with Menzerna 400, followed up by 2500 and then covered the whole van with Menzerna SF3500. LSP was Collonite 476 followed by a top coat of 845. Shiniest damn minivan I ever saw. I used the DA for a while but then got nostalgic and switched back to the Dewalt rotary and got it the job done so much faster. Thanks for the advice and tips.

Dog Scratches on a new Sienna-front-2-jpg
    Dog Scratches on a new Sienna-side-jpg
    Dog Scratches on a new Sienna-list-jpg

13. Thanks Craig Encinitas thanked for this post
    Likes PaulMys, Craig Encinitas, Juanito805 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice work.

That 476s/845 combo will last you 6 months easy. 8-9 with care and toppers/drying aids. DG Aquawax works very well on top of the Collinite.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.