autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

First Time Fixing DEEP Scratches and Other Body Issues

Hi Guys,

I'm brand new to the forum and I figured I'd ask for some advice on fixing deep scratches, rust and some kind of paint chipping stuff going on. I've been doing a ton of research and gathering all the tools recommended to get the job done right. Or at least I think so...

Scratch 1
    #1 The first scratch here is down to the primer and into bare metal in some spots. My question here is should I use bondo gold body filler or just glazing putty because while the scratch is deep, it isn't very wide. Or is there a better way to fix this? I'm also curious if I should sand the scratch before applying filler or not. If so, what progression of sand paper would you recommend?

Scratch 2
    #2 I'm not sure how this happened to the hood, maybe too little clear coat from the factory? There are a few areas like this that I assume you want to use body filler, sand, glazing putty, filler/primer, paint, cut, polish, finish right?

Scratch 3
    #3 This is a rust spot that I noticed where I'm guessing a rock jumped up and caused a chip which eventually rusted. Unfortunately, it's right on the lip above the windshield and will be a challenge to sand and finish. Any advice on this one?

I bought the Milwaukee cordless rotary polisher, 3M perfect it compounds, microfiber towels, bondo gold filler, glazing putty, wool pads, 3M pads, proper car code spray paint etc. I still haven't bought any sandpaper yet as I keep hearing different thoughts on the progression I should do for my case. Any suggestions on the best way to fix these issues would be greatly appreciated as I'm totally new to this but love to fix things myself and save some $$ even if I have to spend some on tools. Thanks for the advice in advace!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails First Time Fixing DEEP Scratches and Other Body Issues-scratch1-jpg   First Time Fixing DEEP Scratches and Other Body Issues-scratch2-jpg   First Time Fixing DEEP Scratches and Other Body Issues-scratch3-jpg  

Mike Phillips

Re: First Time Fixing DEEP Scratches and Other Body Issues

Quote Originally Posted by NewFinishingDude View Post

Hi Guys,

I'm brand new to the forum and I figured I'd ask for some advice on fixing deep scratches, rust and some kind of paint chipping stuff going on. I've been doing a ton of research and gathering all the tools recommended to get the job done right. Or at least I think so...
    Welcome to AutogeekOnline!

Scratch 1
    #1 The first scratch here is down to the primer and into bare metal in some spots. My question here is should I use bondo gold body filler or just glazing putty because while the scratch is deep, it isn't very wide. Or is there a better way to fix this? I'm also curious if I should sand the scratch before applying filler or not. If so, what progression of sand paper would you recommend?
    Here's the scratch, I downloaded your attachments and then uploaded them to your free gallery here on AGO

While your intentions are noble, what you're trying to do is a text book example of,

Turning a Mole Hill into a Mountain

First read this brand new article I just wrote,

Topical Defects vs Sub-Surface Defects - Living life on the edge of the razor blade

Then read this article. Get the matching Dr. Color Chip touch-up paint. Buff out the car or the affected area to "clean" up the paint and the scratch. Apply the touch-up paint and walk-away. This is a daily driver right?

How to use the Dr. ColorChip Paint Chip Repair Systems

Technique videos here,

Dr. ColorChip How-To Videos with Dan McCool and Mike Phillips

Scratch 2
    #2 I'm not sure how this happened to the hood, maybe too little clear coat from the factory? There are a few areas like this that I assume you want to use body filler, sand, glazing putty, filler/primer, paint, cut, polish, finish right?
    Here's your picture,

Can't be fixed. Again, you're going to turn a Mole Hill into a Mountain. There simply is NOT enough paint on the car to do this type of work.

Read this article and the first article I linked to above.

Clearcoats are thin by Mike Phillips

I love your passion but the fact is - there's not enough paint on your car to do this type of work. You'll end up NOT fixing the problem and also removing more and more of the surrounding paint thus turning a Mole Hill, (a tiny problem), into a Mountain, (you'll end up getting the panel repainted or hating yourself).

Scratch 3
    #3 This is a rust spot that I noticed where I'm guessing a rock jumped up and caused a chip which eventually rusted. Unfortunately, it's right on the lip above the windshield and will be a challenge to sand and finish. Any advice on this one?
    Here's your picture,

Clean out the rust as best as you can and fill with Dr. Color Chip touch-up paint.

Again - love your passion and if this is your toy, something cool with a CUSTOM paint job that is a Garage Queen 6 days out of the week, then maybe go for it.

But if it's a daily driver - you're taking on a huge risk trying to repair these types of defects with thin factory paint.

Mike Phillips

Check out the pictures in this article, especially the story and pictures in post #3

What it looks like when you buff through the clearcoat - Burn Through - Strike Through - Mike Phillips

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the feedback. It's a bit discouraging to hear you think I can't really fix this stuff myself. I've seen a few videos of fixes with way worse damage that turned out great so I was hopeful that less damage would mean less work to get to the same quality result. Do you think even with a can of color matched spray paint I couldn't repair this to the point you wouldn't notice? I'm hesitant about touch up paint because while easy to apply, it's normally still fairly obvious there's a scratch (at least from my online research). But this is why I'm here, I wanted to get good advice.

Mike Phillips

Thanks for the feedback. It's a bit discouraging to hear you think I can't really fix this stuff myself.
    I don't like to be the bearer of bad news but you're talking to a guy that has been answering questions like your for 18+ years now "online" and longer in the real world.

If you want to go for it - then go for it.

Me?

I try to be really practical. If I had a car like this and all it is - is a daily driver, if I didn't want to use a ceramic paint coating on it I would wash it, clay it and machine buff it with BLACKFIRE One Step. The BIG PICTURE is from 10 feet away the car is going to look great.

Stick a fork it in, call it done and kick it out the door.

If this is something really special to you, Dad's first car, a muscle car or streetrod you invested 10 years into building from the ground-up, then heck yeah - go for it.

All too often I see posts like this and the car in fact is just like mine, a daily driver and trying to perfect defects like you shared wit your pictures is a WHOLE LOT of work for just a little gain. (see my comment about BIG PICTURE above)

6. Likes Reno liked this post