autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Any idea what this is dealership fixed a scratch with touch up but what is the haze around

Hey!

just wondering if there is any easier way to fix this? I took it to an auto body shop. They quoted me $600 to get it fixed. I just got the vehicle and it is an eyesore to me. Is this something I should get fixed?
    81-DEF67-F-791-B-4388-968-B-2-E09-F299-CE8-D — ImgBB
    DBCE7287-3-A48-4224-941-D-8-C1-B59-F93-C01 — ImgBB
    02-C3-F54-E-5-CC6-4264-9-FAA-B1-A9-B3-CB7439 — ImgBB

thank you for any input!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Any idea what this is dealership fixed a scratch with touch up but what is the haze around

Take it back to the dealership and see the manager. The sooner the better.

The haze looks like buffer marks (holograms).

Mike Phillips

Re: Any idea what this is dealership fixed a scratch with touch up but what is the haze around

First time poster,

Welcome to AutogeekOnline!

Quote Originally Posted by kellz182 View Post

Hey!

just wondering if there is any easier way to fix this? I took it to an auto body shop. They quoted me $600 to get it fixed.

I just got the vehicle and it is an eyesore to me. Is this something I should get fixed?

Here's two of your pictures, my guess is a lot of people won't >click< to see a picture? I could be wrong.

The $600.00 quote sounds like it could be what it cost to repaint the entire panel or do a blend. Depends on the caliber of the body shop and the warranty.

If you just bought the car brand new, then for what you paid for it you should accept a damaged paint job. Ask the owner of the dealership if his wife would accept a damaged brand new car?

If you bought it and it's used, well... that's kind of the definition of the car - used.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you! Glad to be here. I am leaning towards getting it repaired. It is a small area, but I think the area around is the part that is throwing me off. I think the $600 might be good for my sanity at this point or just try and forget about it. I just can’t tell what it is.

Mike Phillips

I think the $600 might be good for my sanity at this point or just try and forget about it.
    Find out exactly what is included?

Will they re-paint the entire panel?

IF not, then what they'll do is a "blend". This means they will repair the scratch, spray on some metallic white basecoat to match the rest of the white paint surrounding the area and then over a wider area of the panel they will spray clearcoat. At some place on the panel though there will be the old clearcoat and the new clearcoat and where the new layer of clear paint ends (on top of the old clearcoat), there will be a blend line. This is a definitive line where the new paint ends.

A total repaint of the entire panel is needed to avoid a blend line.

Also - will they remove all of the existing paint down to the bare sheet metal. I know most pro shops will not warranty their work if they don't take it all the way down to the base panel and then build-out from there. Otherwise they would be warrantying some other guys paint. Of course, if this is the factory original paint that's different and some shops might not want to go all the way to the base panel as generally speaking, the BEST paint is the factory paint because there are so many quality controls in place from the start of the build of the car to the finished product.

I just can’t tell what it is.
    It's a scratch in the factory paint and someone has applied "touch-up paint" over the scratch. I've see a lot worse.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you! I will for sure ask them what is included. I was more questioning what is around the scratch as it looks somewhat hazy. I wonder if they tried buffing it and getting some of the clear coat or what? In certain angles it looks almost dark as if the clear coat is gone.

Mike Phillips

I was more questioning what is around the scratch as it looks somewhat hazy. I wonder if they tried buffing it and getting some of the clear coat or what? In certain angles it looks almost dark as if the clear coat is gone.

I saw that, so did Ron. We're all talking about the area just to the left of the scratch? This could simply be scuffing. Rub a quality cleaner/wax or compound or polish over the area with a microfiber applicator pad and if it can be removed, (the scuffing), it will be removed. Of course, a polisher would be better and faster.

Hard to say, they would have to be idiots to buff through the clear for this type of defect, but it could be.

Testing for a lack of clearcoat on WHITE paint is a tick tricky.

You need a grey colored polish and a black piece of cloth. Rub this over the hazy area and if you see white paint on the cloth - that's a bad sign.

Bring it by Autogeek, I would be happy to take a look.