autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

anyone got a step by step on wet sanding and buffing a whole vehicle?

I had my truck completely repainted, theres plenty of clear on the truck. I am looking to wetsand all the orange peel out and make it as smooth as possible. Im needing a step by step on where to begin. Yes i fully understand this is a huge job, im not in a rush to get it done. Id like to read as much as i can and go from there. Also will my GG6 be able to tackle this? or am i going to need a rotary buffer and the GG6?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: anyone got a step by step on wet sanding and buffing a whole vehicle?

How bad is the orange peel from the repaint? I recently had to minimized the orange peel effect on a resprayed bumper. I used the 3" denim pad with a mini DA and it turned out pretty well. Of course, I had to follow up with DA polishing to make the bumper look consistent with the rest of the car. Like everything else in life... the trick is knowing when to stop. Majority of factory paint has a bit of orange peel. The only cars I have seen consistently without orange peel are concourse vehicles but then those are different animals since they are not daily drivers.

If you are determine to do this... I suggest you get a test panel from a salvage yard and practice prior tackling this on your vehicle. Removing orange peel is both a science and an art. You can learn the science of it through research but the art part comes with practice. Good luck on your journey. This is a vast undertaking.

Mike Phillips

I'll chime in,

You need to start out block sanding. Probably #1500, then #2000 and then switch to machine sanding. See my article here,

How to wet sand paint flat by hand by Mike Phillips

Then, after blocking out all the orange peel, switch over to damp sanding. I have a full step-by-step on damp sanding here,

Damp-Sanding Tools, Tips and Techniques by Mike Phillips

Doing it right isn't cheap either,

Cost to wetsand a car? Example of tools needed and the cost

I only use Nikken brand finishing papers when wetsanding. Until someone shows me live in front of me a finishing paper that is as good or better I won't wast my time or the customer's paint with sanding papers. There's a difference.

Here's these,

Remove Orange Peel - Wetsanding by hand and machine - Time Lapse Video

I keep telling people to get one of these before they're gone....

Griot's Garage 3" Mini Polisher for Wetsanding Class

Here's another article,

Perfectionist Detailing #2 - Sanding right up to an edge

Wetsanding removes paint - Compounding removes paint - Polishing removes a little paint

I teach block sanding and damp sanding as well as my own technique, "Scuff & Buff" in my classes. And here's one of the most important things I teach in every class,

The Rule of Thumb

Hope that helps. Big picture is take your time. Sand a section you can manage for 12 to 20 strokes then stop and check your progress. Sand until the orange peel is gone and the paint looks flat and then stop and move onto new territory.

Also - after all the sanding, be sure to use a great compound to remove your sanding marks. I talk about ABRASIVE TECHNOLOGY all the time on this forum and in my classes. It's either great or it's junk. Be sure to get a great compound.

One more thing, while "yes" you can remove sanding marks with any tool that will remove swirls and scratches - the fastest and most effective way is to use a rotary buffer and a traditional style wool cutting pad.

4. Likes DUBL0WS6 liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Continued....

It looks like Autogeek is discontinuing the Nikken brand of finishing papers under the Griot's label.

You can still get them under the Meguair's label.

Meguiars Unigrit Sand Paper

Post Thanks / Like

I learned a lot from watching the time lapse video of Mike's wet sanding project seen here 1964 Chevrolet Chevelle Malibu Convertible Wetsanding Project Though, I'm not sure where the video is! Sorry!!

One great tip I took from Michael Stoops of Meguiar's: "Don't ever sand where you can't then polish"
    Since I'd rather polish by machine, I don't sand where I can't get a machine into

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by JustJesus View Post
    I learned a lot from watching the time lapse video of mike's wet sanding project seen here

1964 Chevrolet Chevelle Malibu Convertible Wetsanding Project

Though, I'm not sure where the video is!

Sorry!!

I"m not sure why I never added the video to the thread that shows the orange peel before and after pictures but I'll add it right now.

And, here's the video you reference.

I "think" the above video is the FIRST time the process of machine damp sanding a car from START to FINISH was ever captured on video. I think.

A month or two after I sanded this car down and Yancy captured it on time lapse video, my buddies at Meguair's did something similar.

The difference?

When you watch my video you see me doing all the work and I did it from start to finish in 12 hours.

When you watch the Meguiar's video - you see about 6-7 guys doing all the work.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    I"m not sure why I never added the video to the thread that shows the orange peel before and after pictures but I'll add it right now.

I "think" the above video is the FIRST time the process of machine damp sanding a car from START to FINISH was ever captured on video. I think.

A month or two after I sanded this car down and Yancy captured it on time lapse video, my buddies at Meguair's did something similar.

The difference?

When you watch my video you see me doing all the work and I did it from start to finish in 12 hours.

When you watch the Meguiar's video - you see about 6-7 guys doing all the work.

this is what I was looking for!!! Your videos are incredible and so informative!! Thank you for the reply!! I guess I need to start gathering materials! I knew it wouldn’t be cheap, the truck is kinda a show/toy truck(twin turbo LS1)

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by JHForman View Post

this is what I was looking for!!! Your videos are incredible and so informative!! Thank you for the reply!!

I guess I need to start gathering materials! I knew it wouldn’t be cheap, the truck is kinda a show/toy truck(twin turbo LS1)

Keep in mind, the above video doesn't show block sanding. The most effective way to flatten out orange peel is by using a soft block and sand by hand. Like this,

How to wet sand paint flat by hand by Mike Phillips

Then come back and refine your hand sanding marks by machine sanding with 3M Trizact #3000.

After that, for most paints you should be able to remove the sanding marks with a good compound, wool pad and rotary.

If the paint is hard - then start with 3M Trizact #3000 and then re-sand with 3M Trizact #5000 - at this point the paint will start to shine.

Post Thanks / Like

That's the one. I eventually just saved a copy of it on my PC. Not sure where I saved it. hehe. Switched computers, reformatted...etc.

I wouldn't doubt it. Several of the "firsts" I've seen come from you, Mike!

I did make my own time lapse video, quite similar to yours. Though, I only did a hood. And never posted it anywhere.