autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

IPA reacted with compound to produce weird orange peel.

Hi,

This is the first time im posting.

I've encountered a problem with somekind of strange "orange peel/Camo pattern" etching on the clearcoat of my car. Was using my trusted Menzerna fast gloss yesterday to get some scratches out. The paint is about 4 yrs old and has been polished many times before using the same procedure. After 3-4 passes with the fast gloss, i sprayed 50/50 IPA solution directly onto the residual compound, waited 5 secs and wiped off using a microfiber cloth. I immediate notice this weird etching on the clearcoat. Never seen this before and it was only present on the area i was working on. Strange. Done the same thing for years.

IPA reacted with compound to produce weird orange peel.-screenshot_20200306-181515_gallery-jpg

Anyone have a hunch ?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: IPA reacted with compound to produce weird orange peel.

if the Alcohol is mixed to strong it can cause swelling of sorts in the clear,,,there is a dilution ratio chart somewhere here,,I'll see if I can find or maybe someone else will post it before I do

have you tried compounding or polish it down to smooth it out?,,I can't see the whats wrong with the paint on my phone screen so I am only guessing.
    “I have trouble with names and faces, but I never forget a car.”

Post Thanks / Like

“I have trouble with names and faces, but I never forget a car.”

Mike Phillips

My guess, and just a guess, the clearcoat is very thin in that area and thus more affected by the IPA.

I have seen first-hand, IPA soften and soften paint. That's one of the reasons I wrote the guide to mixing IPA with water to get to a safe ratio. Too strong of IPA sitting or dwelling on the paint for too long can cause harm.

Be careful moving forward. If the reason this happened is because the paint is as I like to say, Whisper Thin, in that area, then abrading that area may end up buffing through what's left and exposing the basecoat.

And, welcome to AutogeekOnline!

5. Likes Loach liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Here's your pictures,

Definitely looks like there was a chemical reaction that affected the surface.

Post Thanks / Like

My suggestion is to keep IPA away from paint of any kind.
    Jim

8. Likes spazzz, Farmallluvr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

A lot of this type of damage will be paint dependent. I’ve let larger drops of 70% IPA sit on the surface beyond 15 minutes and while the outside edges did etch, there was no noticeable softening or bubbling occurring in the center areas. If I try this with something like Klean Strip Prep-All I will not get any damage or outer-edge etching and it evaporates much faster. When using IPA for removing polishing residue, I do use about a 15% dilution and I’ve never seen issues.

Seeing this at 50/50 is still scary, and as Mike said it’s most likely largely related to an underlying issue on the paint itself. I’ve dumped some stronger concentrations of IPA on a lot of protection based products which have been extremely resistant compared to something like Prep-All. The only product that I’ve used so far that did some immediate damage upon contact like you’re seeing, was Dupli-Color’s aerosol Prep-Spray grease and wax remover, and this was on a few different panels.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone for the useful remarks. It's probably due to heat and directly applying the IPA onto the paint instead of onto the cloth and wiping (which I normally do, just not this time)

I went around measuring the paint thickness. The affected area (rear quarter fender) is about 5.8~7 mils (same as the doors), other areas around 7~8mil, the hood as much as 11mils. I admit the rear fender gets the most polishing bits it shows most obvious scratches.

Is 6mils of paint considered safe or dangerously thin?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    My guess, and just a guess, the clearcoat is very thin in that area and thus more affected by the IPA.

I have seen first-hand, IPA soften and soften paint. That's one of the reasons I wrote the guide to mixing IPA with water to get to a safe ratio. Too strong of IPA sitting or dwelling on the paint for too long can cause harm.

Be careful moving forward. If the reason this happened is because the paint is as I like to say, Whisper Thin, in that area, then abrading that area may end up buffing through what's left and exposing the basecoat.

And, welcome to AutogeekOnline!

IPA reacted with compound to produce weird orange peel.-screenshot_20200308-104731_gallery-jpg