autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Question 1st time machine compounding, a bit disappointed

Hello All,

I'm trying to compound out some scratches in my daughters 2016 Toyota Camry. She has some shallow and some deep scratching.

I'm using a Rupes LHR 15 Mark III, with Lake Country yellow waffle pad, and Turtle Wax Rubbing compound. I made numerous horizontal and vertical passes using my 4 beads of compound at a speed of 4-5. I used a micro fiber cloth to clear the film. I was expecting at least the shallow scratches to be affected. I didn't even get a 'glaze' in the clear coat. I repeated the process, still no glaze. I did see a reduction in swirl marks.

Any advise? Should I be using a more aggressive compound? If so, can you recommend any?

Thank you in advance,
    F

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 1st time machine compounding, a bit disappointed

I would look into a different type of compound. I use Menzerna FG400 and it works wonders. I have tried other brand compounds and they were doggie doo doo. I have not worked with Turtle Wax and have no clue if it's good or not. But if you are having an issue you may look into that. I can't comment on your technique as that also could be an issue. But BASED on your comment, you might look at a better product.
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Post Thanks / Like

Pictures would be cool. I agree with Kama.... switch up the product. Menzerna HC400 or Griots Fast Correcting Cream... Meguiars M110...

I typically keep it simple. If I'm not using microfiber pads or wool, its LC flat orange to cut and flat white to polish. At times black LC flat.

I'd start with product first... as Mike says, its first to touch the paint.

Ryan

Sent from my SM-G965U using Autogeekonline mobile app

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the reply @Kamakaz1961. Is this the product you're referring to? I see the Menzerna line of products include a 3000, 2000, 1000 etc product. Does the number somehow relate to the grittiness of the product?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't see the "Fast Gloss" (FG) line of products on the Menzerna site. Only the "Heavy Cut" (HC) line. Has the HC replaced the FG?

I think I'll get and try the HC400 as recommended.

I'd include some photos, but my college aged daughter is gone for a couple of days with the car. Kids...

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I found this handy chart on the AutoGeek.net site. Apparently the HCXXX does NOT represent the grit, as the HC1000 has a heavier cut than the HC300.

Post Thanks / Like

Menzerna Heavy Cut Compound 400 is absolutely phenomenal. I use it often and I continue to be amazed at how well it cuts nasties but finishes so we'll.

I've tried all 3 Menz compounds and 400 is by far the happy medium. The "Goldilocks" cutter!

I've had two cut and buff customers lately and both surprised me on the paint hardness scale...a Nissan Maxima and a Toyo Camry! I was expecting softer side of medium paint on both and was surprised by my test spots. HCC 400 used on both.

8. Likes Goonie75 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My only addition would be the fact a rubbing compound or even Menz 400 might not be needed on a Toyota. That paint is VERY soft and easy to correct. I've done quite a bit of correction with just a finishing polish like Meguiars Ultimate Polish or Optimum Hyper Polish and a white or orange LC Flat/Thin Pro pads on both my Highlander and my father-in-laws Tacoma. On severe damage I got good results with Meguiars Ultimate Compound, but I only used that for the worst places.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by garberfc View Post

I'm trying to compound out some scratches in my daughters 2016 Toyota Camry.

She has some shallow and some deep scratching.

Just to add.... factory clearcoats are thin. I share this all the time. The car in question, I'm guessing is a

Daily Driver

It will probably get more scratches in the future. So something I do for these situations is instead of trying to remove 100% of the scratches I just try to improve them.

See this,

Clearcoats are thin by Mike Phillips

11. Likes DetailKitty liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, the car is a Daily Driver. And that's a good target (Improving them rather than removing them). Especially since I'm just learning...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast