autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Swirl Marks/Spider Webs

I own a 2007 F-150, Regular Cab, Dark Blue Pearl Metallic. It has swirl marks/spider webs in the clear coat. I don't own any type of buffing machine so everything will have to be done by hand. Is there some sort of compound that can be applied by hand to at least remove a little bit of these swirl marks/spider webs? Please, keep the price low. I'm on a budget.
    Thank You.

The anticipation of death is worse than death itself!

Mike Phillips

Re: Swirl Marks/Spider Webs

Meguiar's NXT Tech Wax.

I did the beta testing on this product and one of it's characteristics was the ability to fill in "fine" or shallow swirls. A lot of people recommend Poorboy's Black Hole Glaze for the same ability.

Blackfire One Step is a very high quality cleaner/wax and is you worked it well enough by hand you could actually remove swirls with it.

Hope that helps...

3. Likes dlc95 liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Also just to note...

You posted this in the Wetsanding forum group?

Would be a better fit in Detailing 101

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Re: Swirl Marks/Spider Webs

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Also just to note...

You posted this in the Wetsanding forum group?

Would be a better fit in Detailing 101

I'm sorry I posted it here. I looked at some of the replies here and figured it would be better here. You can move it, erase it, whatever. I'm sorry that I made a mistake and posted it here. Next time I will ask before I post!
    I APOLOGIZE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

No worries, blueoval. It's ok. We all sometimes post something into categories that aren't an exact fit.

I think Mike is coming from the perspective of how the forum can better serve you. You're likely to get more responses, opinions and answers to your question in that suggested category.

7. Likes dlc95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My recommendation would be to use an All in One product as you can do a bit of polishing and waxing with the same product. This will make it far easier on the arm as you only need to go around the vehicle once. You can compound by hand but that is a chore. After that you should follow up with a polish or an All In One.

This is a new product that can be had locally.
    Meguiar?s 3-in-1 Wax

This is a great product if you decide to purchase online. I use this with great results.
    BLACKFIRE One Step, BLACKFIRE Total Polish & Seal, polish and wax, cleaner wax, car polish

9. Likes Paul A., dlc95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Re: Swirl Marks/Spider Webs

Quote Originally Posted by Paul A. View Post
    No worries, blueoval. It's ok. We all sometimes post something into categories that aren't an exact fit.

I think Mike is coming from the perspective of how the forum can better serve you. You're likely to get more responses, opinions and answers to your question in that suggested category.
    Paul, where in Tampa are you located? I used to live in Seffner, FL. 1987-2012. I used to do my friends and neighbors detailing on the weekends. I have also used a few local detailers there to do the FULL DETAIL (wash, clay, paint prep, polish, wax).
    Anyway, so I made a mistake posting in the wrong forum. I honestly think it belongs here being it's a paint correction item. It very well could probably use a wet sanding. That's what I thought someone was going to suggest, and I wanted to read about it here.
    Again, I APOLOGIZE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Question Re: Swirl Marks/Spider Webs

Quote Originally Posted by Mike@DedicatedPerfection View Post
    My recommendation would be to use an All in One product as you can do a bit of polishing and waxing with the same product. This will make it far easier on the arm as you only need to go around the vehicle once. You can compound by hand but that is a chore. After that you should follow up with a polish or an All In One.

This is a new product that can be had locally.
    Meguiar?s 3-in-1 Wax

This is a great product if you decide to purchase online. I use this with great results.
    BLACKFIRE One Step, BLACKFIRE Total Polish & Seal, polish and wax, cleaner wax, car polish
    I still have some BLACKFIRE WET DIAMOND sealant. Are you referring to that?
    I have been wanting to try that new 3 IN 1 wax. I do have some paste Meguiar's Cleaner Wax.
    I want to use something that won't bankrupt my checking account, but will at least cut the swirl marks a little bit. Sounds like the 3 IN 1 is what I need. Is there any other products here you would suggest?
    THANK YOU!

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Paul A. View Post

I think Mike is coming from the perspective of how the forum can better serve you.

You're likely to get more responses, opinions and answers to your question in that suggested category.

Thanks Paul.

With 42,000 posts on this forum I'm pretty confident my posting history is one of helping others, not demeaning them.

Post Thanks / Like

No prob, Mike.

BlueOval, I'm in Citrus Park.

In my opinion, wetsanding would be my last resort and levelling your paint with compounds would be less aggressive to your paint and much more effective. Doing it by hand is far more difficult than using a random orbital machine.

I also agree with Mike@DedicatedPerfection on the use of a good cleaner wax, especially if working by hand. The BF Sealant is not one of those as it's a sealant or "wax" only. A good cleaner wax has a combination of mild abrasives, cleaners and wax/sealant.

Where are you located? Maybe there's a "loaner" buffer locally available.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast