autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

spotting under brand new black car paint

Can anyone help determine what these spots are? Car is a brand new 2019 challenger hellcat in black. I was doing my new car paint correction and noticed lots of these spots at the front of my driver side front fender. They are really only visible when you shine a bright light directly on them. Compounding and buffing are not taking them out at all. Some of the spots show "smearing" almost like they are in the clear coat and have started being buffed away but I can't get them to improve. What do these look like to you? Any recommendations? Don't want dealer trying to mess with them honestly.

spotting under brand new black car paint-1-jpgspotting under brand new black car paint-2-jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Re: spotting under brand new black car paint

Honestly that looks like bubbles under PPF.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Pitchblackcat View Post

Can anyone help determine what these spots are?

Car is a brand new 2019 challenger hellcat in black. I was doing my new car paint correction and noticed lots of these spots at the front of my driver side front fender. They are really only visible when you shine a bright light directly on them.

Compounding and buffing are not taking them out at all.

Some of the spots show "smearing" almost like they are in the clear coat and have started being buffed away but I can't get them to improve.

What do these look like to you? Any recommendations?

Don't want dealer trying to mess with them honestly.

First - Because this is your first post to our forum,

Welcome to AutogeekOnline!

(I just approved your pending account, I remember your forum nickname in the waiting queue)

Second, here's picture #2 you attached,

Defects are either topical, that is on the surface or sub-surface, or sub-clearcoat. What I do for things like this is what I call troubleshooting. The way I troubleshoot paint problems is place a tape line over the affected area and then ONLY buff on one side of the tape line. After buffing (compound and/or polish), wipe off the residue and inspect.

If you see no difference at all, then the paint defects are like you guess, they are likely under the clearcoat or "in" the clearcoat but they go "throughout" the clearcoat thus more and more buffing just reveals more and more of the defects. And if you buff to far, you'll buff through the clear layer and expose the basecoat layer and then it's game over.

Good choice to NOT let the dealership work on it. From my 16+ years of running car detailing discussion forums professionally, the majority of discussions like this thread, when the owner of the car takes it back to the dealership not only do they NOT fix the problem then proceed to let some untrained detailer attack the paint with a wool pad on a rotary buffer and make the problem worse by inflicting holograms into the paint.

Your best bet right now would be to try and find a GOOD and experienced detailers, like someone that hangs out on this forum and lives near you to take a look and see what they can ascertain.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

There is no PPF and the spots are smooth to the touch. They don't appear to be bubbles as I initially thought they might be that as well. Pressing on them does not change them at all (think squishing a bubble under film). Any chance this could be trapped moisture?

Post Thanks / Like

If they are "in" the clearcoat then unlikely you will be able to "fix" anything, sounds like a warranty claim to me, as Mike said you don't want to buff through anything then the dealer/mfr. will say it was your fault.

Mike Phillips

Any chance this could be trapped moisture?

That's a possibility?

I think some people have had luck parking car in full sun on a hot day to remove.

Couldn't hurt to try.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Will try and see if it helps. If this is contamination, might it be best to live with it? I'm afraid a respray of that panel wouldn't have the same bite or quality as the baked on factory paint.

Post Thanks / Like

Will try and see if it helps. If this is contamination, might it be best to live with it? I'm afraid a respray of that panel wouldn't have the same bite or quality as the baked on factory paint.
    Yeah, it sucks. I've refused a car ordered from the factory that had shipping damage, for just that reason (no factory-baked paint on the repair). That looks seriously wrong though, from the pictures. What happens later if it fails and you're out of warranty? No idea what the Chrysler warranty is on paint, or whether you care if you have to pay for it later. If you can live with it, I'd live with it...but I hate having anybody do anything on my cars, so don't go by me.

Post Thanks / Like

Since it's a new car. I would get a warrenty claim of the defects. And I would not buff it anymore as that can be working against you with the claim. Don't know how it works in the US. But I would contact Dodge directly for the warrenty claim. Since It's looks to be a no go with dealerships. The only thing that can resolve the defects can be to repaint it. And it would be better to have it done by Dodge so you still have the warrenty intact if repainted. It's not fun to start with this you only want to be enjoying your new car.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SWETM View Post
    Don't know how it works in the US. But I would contact Dodge directly for the warrenty claim. Since It's looks to be a no go with dealerships. The only thing that can resolve the defects can be to repaint it. And it would be better to have it done by Dodge so you still have the warrenty intact if repainted.
    Ha, I don't know how it works in Sweden, but Dodge isn't going to repaint his car...it will be up to the dealer...although MAYBE if he complains loudly enough he could get them to pay for an independent paint shop, but I think he'd have to have a pretty good argument that the dealer wasn't up to it.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast