autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: spotting under brand new black car paint

Type 2 water spots?

Post Thanks / Like

I have seen something similar. In our case, it was moisture or solvent underneath the clear coat. We corrected it by warming the area with halogen lamps. THAT IS NOT MY ADVICE TO YOU. My advice is to get help from the dealerships regional service rep. The service manager should be able to arrange that since its a warranty claim. (unless its been repainted). If its been repainted, the dealership owes you. Good luck. If that is fruitless, Mikes advice is best.
    Last edited by Natron; 10-29-2018 at 01:37 PM. Reason: forgot info
    Nathan Doering CD-SV

3. Likes JKDesign liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I appreciate the responses everyone!

Natron-once the heat has evaporated the "moisture", is the clearcoat not adhered to the underlying basecoat? My concern is even after applying heat, there is still a missing cross link between clearcoat and basecoat. What did you see after the heat was applied? Total correction?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pitchblackcat View Post
    I'm afraid a respray of that panel wouldn't have the same bite or quality as the baked on factory paint.
    It definitely won’t! I avoid resprays at all costs! Where do you live?

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app
    '03 Corvette Z06

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Youngstown OH

Post Thanks / Like

I highly doubt that’s under the clear. On a brand new car, they’re not gonna let something like that out of the factory.

'03 Corvette Z06

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

lol they did! I saw it come off the truck and picked it up that day. This wasn't noticed until I started doing my paint correction and shined swirl finder on it.

Post Thanks / Like

spotting under brand new black car paint

Quote Originally Posted by Pitchblackcat View Post
    lol they did! I saw it come off the truck and picked it up that day. This wasn't noticed until I started doing my paint correction and shined swirl finder on it.
    Probably happened in transit. If it is indeed under the clear, I’d make them buy it back.

'03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Ha, I don't know how it works in Sweden, but Dodge isn't going to repaint his car...it will be up to the dealer...although MAYBE if he complains loudly enough he could get them to pay for an independent paint shop, but I think he'd have to have a pretty good argument that the dealer wasn't up to it.
    I have been understanding more and more how it works for you. It's the dealership that buy the car from Dodge in this example. And then the warrenty is up to them to honor it. Why are not the manufacture of the car responseble to stand for the warrenty of the car they produce?

In Sweden when you buy a new car. You look around at the dealership and get to test drive demo cars. Then you order the car as you want it from the option available in that car modell. The color, leather, engine size and so on. Then you get it delivered to the dealership and they get it ready for you to drive it home. And the quality of the paint for an example is great. It's very rare that you get a swirled up paint and defects when you get it. Think it has to do with the dealerships that sells new cars are all brand connected to the car distributor agency. Like they are certified dealerships. And if it gets a warranty claim the dealership is looking at it and then contact the car brands headquarter and get a green light if it is under warranty to fix. The car dealership gets paid to fix it and the car brand agency paying them. The dealership accually gets paid to fix the warrenty claim so they are not so hard to get the warrenty claim reported. It's the car brands agency that is of charge if it is go or no go. And it's like an insurance works basicly. The most common when it's a repaint done the dealership has their go to bodyshop. As they often takes care of insurance claims for the insurance company. The work quality overall is great from dealerships here. Sure there is problems in some and they can do some crappy work too. The biggest income they have is from services on the cars that has warrenty left. As you must leave it to them that is certified to do services on the brand of the car you have. Otherwise the warrenty is out. There has been a lot discussions of this that the dealership that often is also certified for service the car. Has a very high price of them. And with the technology in the cars today you will have to have the brands computer programs to even do a service. And for a small independent mechanic shop they can not afford those for the most brands out there. Even when doing small repairs they don't have so they can sync the new part with cars computer. Hope you can understand what I mean. The translation is hard when it's termonology for me.
    So the car you buy is not at the dealership and sit in the lot. But gets delivered to the dealership and you get the car as they are ready. I have 2 in the family that work as mechanics at a Ford dealership. Will talk to them how and what they do when prepare a new car for delivery. They where picked up by the Ford dealership when they where in highscool. And then they get educated by Ford Sweden and the dealership pays for it. And they go still away for education on how to work on the new cars. It's mostly the electronics and software they have to be up to knowledge how it works. It's crazy how much of that you have to learn about the electronics and software in the cars.

Man it's hard to describe what I mean LOL.

Post Thanks / Like

It's not that different here. The manufacturer reimburses the dealer for the warranty work. We've been through some ups and downs with that, at one time GM, for example, paid the dealer a fixed rate, regardless of what the dealer labor rate was. If the dealer labor rate was higher than what GM was paying, the dealers would tell customers things weren't covered by warranty. After a while GM started getting a bad rep and they started reimbursing at the dealer labor rate.

As far as the cars not sitting on the lot...it used to be like that here, you ordered a car from the factory if you were a car guy, to get just what you wanted. But when imported cars began to become really popular here in the late 70's and early 80's, it of course wasn't feasible to order a car from the factory, so those dealers began to stock large numbers of cars on their lots, so they would have a large selection of colors and options. After a while the US companies started to streamline the multiple options into just a few option groups, because customers had become used to the idea of whatever they needed "being on the lot", so even the dealers for US brands typically have very large inventories and it's less common to order a car. At least that's the way it looks from where I sit.

12. Thanks SWETM thanked for this post
    Likes SWETM liked this post
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast