autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Light rust removal

Good morning,

This may may be a bit off topic but thought it was best place to post since the heading on this specific section referenced wet sanding. Do any of you have any experience fixing small rust spots using something like Ospho or phosphoric acid then painting over top? There are a couple spots on my truck on the underneath side of my fender that I want to get stopped now before it creeps closer to the visible part of the door. Heard good things about Ospho and or phosphoric acid products as it converts rust. The rust is light and hasn’t eaten through the metal and want to attack this right away. Any ideas or tips? So what’s the process sand/wore wheel the rust, followed by a metal prep/etch primer product then paint then clear coat? Any thought on this are appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Light rust removal

You can try putting some Rust Mort on it and touch up over and see what happens,sometimes it works and sometimes it don't is all I can say

Rust Mort is a SEM product
    “I have trouble with names and faces, but I never forget a car.”

Post Thanks / Like

Wire brush or what ever means to get rid of the rust. Prime and paint. If you don't get down to bare metal the rust will come back. You can chemically treat the rust before painting, but I'm not a fan of that method.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Skidoorcng View Post
    Good morning,

This may may be a bit off topic but thought it was best place to post since the heading on this specific section referenced wet sanding. Do any of you have any experience fixing small rust spots using something like Ospho or phosphoric acid then painting over top? There are a couple spots on my truck on the underneath side of my fender that I want to get stopped now before it creeps closer to the visible part of the door. Heard good things about Ospho and or phosphoric acid products as it converts rust. The rust is light and hasn’t eaten through the metal and want to attack this right away. Any ideas or tips? So what’s the process sand/wore wheel the rust, followed by a metal prep/etch primer product then paint then clear coat? Any thought on this are appreciated.

Thanks for the PM introducing yourself.

Sorry I have not replied previously.... so busy.... can't keep up....

Because you cannot see where the rust spots are - if you want to make this fast, painless and easy,

Get some POR-15

Clean the area but don't remove the rust.

Apply the POR-15 to the rusted areas.

Stick a fork in it and call it done.

Wear gloves. If you get POR-15 on your hands it will be there until it wears off. Very tough and durable stuff. Great product. Used it a lot on classic Cadillacs and classic Chevy Trucks.