autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Scared that I may have burnt through clear coat compounding by hand

Hi all,

So I found a weird yellow spot that was slightly protruding on my 1-month old '18 BRZ. I assumed it was a factory paint defect (could have been some crazy bird poop too) and decided to just compound it out.

I used a microfiber pad with Ultimate Compound and the small (1/4 inch maybe) yellow spot got a lot smaller and harder to notice, so I was happy. Then I noticed that in the process of doing so, I have managed to create a quarter-sized cloudy spot right below the now mostly gone yellow spot.

I tried hitting the spot with Ultimate Polish and for the life of me could not get the cloudy quarter-sized spot out. I have now stopped and am quite worried that I burnt through the clearcoat on my car. I thought I would be fine since I was doing this by hand, but I did exert quite a lot of pressure with my fingers when I was trying to compound out the yellow dot. I tried wiping the spot with a white towel and did not see any blue transffered onto it.

Thanks!
    Burnt paint? - Album on Imgur
    A very concerned detailing noobie

EDIT: To be clear, I used a lot of pressure on the concentrated yellow spot (two fingers pinching the microfiber pad.) I now realize that this was a bad idea...

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Scared that I may have burnt through clear coat compounding by hand

Id be really surprised if UC by hand you could burn through your clear coat. I cant tell very well from the pics though.
    "Dirt likes detergent so much better than the surface that it's attached to, it'll leave that surface to go hang out with the soap"...aim4squirrels

3. Thanks TheRealBFKR thanked for this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dcjredline View Post
    Id be really surprised if UC by hand you could burn through your clear coat. I cant tell very well from the pics though.
    Sorry, the lighting was poor by the time I was trying to fix the haziness. I have stopped and will bring the car in to a detailer who has a small foam pad that may have a better luck getting rid of the marring/haziness than me. I just want to be able to sleep before then, haha. So, it is quite unlikely to burn the clear coat with microfiber pad and UC by hand? I did exert quite a bit of concentrated pressure with my fingers.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like you have smeared the spot out to a larger area. Do you have any clay at hand? It could take off the dirt. Or even a tar remover could also work. It is what I could get out of the pictures. Could look different in person though. The detailer will sort it out.

Post Thanks / Like

After you compounded, what else did you try???? I.E. a finishing polish? Megs #7? etc?
    You may not have burned it, but rather marred it... Try following up with some polish or #7, and see if that clears it up.

compounding by hand will not finish off like a DA and pad... Rather it will leave the area marred. Hard to burn clear by hand, but nothing surprises me these days.

Try what I suggested and see if that helps.

7. Likes Hammer77 liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LSNAutoDetailing View Post
    After you compounded, what else did you try???? I.E. a finishing polish? Megs #7? etc?
    You may not have burned it, but rather marred it... Try following up with some polish or #7, and see if that clears it up.

compounding by hand will not finish off like a DA and pad... Rather it will leave the area marred. Hard to burn clear by hand, but nothing surprises me these days.

Try what I suggested and see if that helps.
    Hi! Thanks for the response. I hand polished with a MF pad and Ultimate Polish. Only seemed to make the hazed up spot slightly larger.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

A working theory is that my the ultimate polish+Mf pads combo is too coarse still to restore shine by hand. Or, perhaps it is indeed the weird yellow contamination smeared out and I need to clay the area.

10. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If you have a cleaner wax/AIO or you can get something like d166 at a local store. I think it will be clearing the spot up. And clay first so you get anything embedded contaminants off before you polish by hand.

The spot could be different since if you look at the swirls on one picture. You can both cleaned and correct the spot so it difference to the untouch part of the paint.

Post Thanks / Like

That appears to be a paint defect to me,,clear coat will yellow like that if it gets to much heat from something like a heat gun used to remove a decal or stripe of somesort,,I doubt you did that much heat by hand.

I worked at a Subaru dealer in the early 90's and all the cars came with a cosmoline coating but I do not know if they still do or not,,if they do it could be a remnant of the cosmoline ,,you could try a little PB Blast on a rag and lightly rub it see ,,or take it to the dealer and show it to them
    “I have trouble with names and faces, but I never forget a car.”

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, that looks like strike through.

Especially if the spot gets bigger as you polish.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast