autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Post Thanks / Like

Scared that I may have burnt through clear coat compounding by hand

Good luck with the color match. I had my whole front end repainted. Car is white. They could not match it to the doors after 2 times, so I vinyl wrapped the car. 99.5% of people did not notice until I pointed it out the mismatch to them.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app
    '03 Corvette Z06

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Scared that I may have burnt through clear coat compounding by hand

Quote Originally Posted by WRAPT C5Z06 View Post
    Good luck with the color match. I had my whole front end repainted. Car is white. They could not match it to the doors after 2 times, so I vinyl wrapped the car. 99.5% of people did not notice until I pointed it out the mismatch to them.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app
    Thanks, I have heard the blue is a lot easier than white (mine is a pearl though, so I am hoping it turns out well.)

Why didn't you opt to get the doors blended?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealBFKR View Post
    Thanks, you all are being really nice. This is my dream car and I can't believe I made such a dumb mistake one month into ownership.

Will the entire quarter panel have to be redone? (that extends from the A Pillar all the way to the trunk/bumper)
    This may not make you feel any better but I did the same thing within 2 months of owning my WRX with UC and a MF towel trying to clean up a scratch. I didn't quite know what I was doing and I tried out a section on the spoiler first. As it turns out the paint on my plastic spoiler was a lot harder than the roof so I have a similar spot right by the drivers door. My car is white so you can only see it in certain lights and 8 years later it has never gotten worse but every time i see it, it is a nasty reminder.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealBFKR View Post
    Thanks, I have heard the blue is a lot easier than white (mine is a pearl though, so I am hoping it turns out well.)

Why didn't you opt to get the doors blended?
    I had a WRX STi in that blue, 2016, It was in a front end accident and we replaced the fender hood and bumper. I had a really good shop do the work and they were able to paint match it great, and did blend. I had lots of compliments on the work done, by people who know the difference.

It isn't the easiest to do, from what I hear, but you can certainly get it done right if you get a good shop. There are harder ones out there, the Mazda Soul Red, some of the tricoats

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

One more update for anyone who is interested:

Got my BRZ back from the shop
    Post repaint - Album on Imgur

Happy with the match!

They were able to get rid of a couple of conspicuous dust specks. The line where the the new clear ends is visible in the door jamb though. They did some work to smooth it out but I am not sure if it will ever be invisible. Inclined to call it good.

6. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dcjredline View Post
    Im shocked you went through that clear with a MF pad and UC. Were your freaking fingers hot while doing it? Geesh. Sucks man, we have all done it dont beat yourself up too much about it.
    I am not surprised. Doing this by hand is far riskier than by machine. When you do it by hand and apply a lot of pressure on a very small area (using your fingers) you can remove a lot of paint on that specific spot in a very short time.

Think of it like this, when you are using a machine, you are applying say 10 to 15 pounds of pressure over a 5.5 inch diameter area, or about 95 inch2. That's about .16 pound of pressure per square inch.

Doing it by hand, it's easy to apply the same 15 pounds of pressure over a 1 square inch area, that is 94 times more pressure. Also if you are using a microfiber towel to do the work, it's more abrasive than most pads.

So it's very easy to strike through doing that if you are a not careful.

8. Likes TheRealBFKR liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

After reading through this thread...all i could say is yikes. Thats tough to go through...literally and figuratively. I love the BRZ...and maybe if I didn't live in the north and have 2 kids...I opted with this:

Shared album - Nate Laird - Google Photos

I just recently had my front bumper replaced and resprayed due to dealer-induced damage.

10. Thanks TheRealBFKR thanked for this post
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234