autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Scared that I may have burnt through clear coat compounding by hand

Quote Originally Posted by dlc95 View Post
    Yeah, that looks like strike through.

Especially if the spot gets bigger as you polish.
    https://i.imgur.com/G7GKElL.jpg

Yup, I burnt through it.

Only way to get it looking perfect again is a total respray? Or can the rear fender be partially resprayed and blended in? How much am I looking at for a factory quality (well, better than factory would be preferable actually) job?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Farmallluvr View Post
    That appears to be a paint defect to me,,clear coat will yellow like that if it gets to much heat from something like a heat gun used to remove a decal or stripe of somesort,,I doubt you did that much heat by hand.

I worked at a Subaru dealer in the early 90's and all the cars came with a cosmoline coating but I do not know if they still do or not,,if they do it could be a remnant of the cosmoline ,,you could try a little PB Blast on a rag and lightly rub it see ,,or take it to the dealer and show it to them
    Be that as it may, I did end up burning through the clear coat trying to get rid of the yellow spot. So it's on me to fix... Would you recommend taking it to the auto collision center associated with a Subaru dealership?

Post Thanks / Like

Any good body shop can repair/repaint the area. Ask around to see who is good. A good way to gauge a body shop is bu cleanliness. If the shop is filthy it’s likely they will do shoddy work.

Don’t feel bad I burned through my clear on a VW Jetta many years ago with a microfiber cloth and Scratch-X. Two fingers and a polish can do some damage.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealBFKR View Post
    https://i.imgur.com/G7GKElL.jpg

Yup, I burnt through it.

Only way to get it looking perfect again is a total respray? Or can the rear fender be partially resprayed and blended in? How much am I looking at for a factory quality (well, better than factory would be preferable actually) job?
    Not sure man.

Sorry to hear though.

Post Thanks / Like

Be that as it may, I did end up burning through the clear coat trying to get rid of the yellow spot. So it's on me to fix... Would you recommend taking it to the auto collision center associated with a Subaru dealership?
    I wouldn't unless they are footing the bill,,remember you rubbed through the mark that was there already and you have picture proof,,some reputable dealers will meet you 1/2 way,,It's really a management call.just be courteous and explain you situation and that will make it more likely to get somewhere,,if not your not out anything.

do find a shop that does high quality work though.,,too bad it's burnt,,I am really surprised you did this by hand to be honest,,,wow.
    “I have trouble with names and faces, but I never forget a car.”

Post Thanks / Like

Im shocked you went through that clear with a MF pad and UC. Were your freaking fingers hot while doing it? Geesh. Sucks man, we have all done it dont beat yourself up too much about it.
    "Dirt likes detergent so much better than the surface that it's attached to, it'll leave that surface to go hang out with the soap"...aim4squirrels

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, you all are being really nice. This is my dream car and I can't believe I made such a dumb mistake one month into ownership.

Will the entire quarter panel have to be redone? (that extends from the A Pillar all the way to the trunk/bumper)

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, you all are being really nice. This is my dream car and I can't believe I made such a dumb mistake one month into ownership.

Will the entire quarter panel have to be redone? (that extends from the A Pillar all the way to the trunk/bumper)
    yup,,including any de trim and glass removal,,if a shop tells you it can be without doing that run away unless your car has removable window trim to get the clear underneath of,,anything less can lead to peeling of clear.
    “I have trouble with names and faces, but I never forget a car.”

9. Thanks TheRealBFKR thanked for this post
    Likes oneheadlite liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Farmallluvr View Post
    yup,,including any de trim and glass removal,,if a shop tells you it can be without doing that run away unless your car has removable window trim to get the clear underneath of,,anything less can lead to peeling of clear.
    Although this particular panel doesn't have any clear bra on, several neighboring panels do, namely the edge of the passenger door, bottom half of the rear bumper. Do these need to be removed for a proper blend? Or can someone theoretically do a good job without blending? This is World Rally Blue Pearl, which I have heard is somewhat difficult to match...

Post Thanks / Like

I see some comments here about burning thru while hand polishing being “hard to do”. I feel the complete opposite. When hand polishing, you can exert a lot of force on a very small area. When machine polishing, that pressure is spread out over a vastly larger area especially if you consider the math aspect of surface area in.

Anyway to the OP, I hope you get your new baby fixed up and back to like new condition. I’m sorry to hear about your issue. I would still talk to the dealer and be honest. Maybe they can help you out.
    Jim

12. Likes TTQ B4U, DBAILEY, SWETM liked this post
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast