autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Fell for the sales pitch - Griots Garage Orbital

They got me. I fell for it and feel like an idiot.

Quick backstory. Ran a detail shop for a little over 6 years, no longer detail for money. Was extremely spoiled by vendors, never had mess with buying product retail. Always used a Makita rotary with 3m pads/products.

10 years after moving on and my poor truck needs a buff in a bad way. Do a bunch of research to see what's the bee's knees today and all I hear about is the Griots Garage orbital. "Almost as good as a rotary" "I almost never use my rotary anymore!" "This thing will take out wet sanding scratches!"

So, $250 to get setup with an orbital vs $400 for a rotary, everyone loves the orbital and I don't have to throw around a rotary? Sounds like a good deal to me.

Yeah no. It's an orbital. Better than orbitals of old, but it'll never touch a rotary.

Did a 3 step with Griots microfiber cutting pad, fast cutting cream, yellow perfecting foam with fast perfecting cream, black finishing pad with collinite. It made my sample door a good 10'er. As in it looks good from 10'. Any closer and you can still see scratches. This door had one scratch from a tree branch and a set of scratches from an overly excited dog bailing out the window. They are all still there and with the exception of the initial impact spot with the tree branch I know a rotary can take them out without wet sanding.

Tried a couple pics but it was hard to see it and my phone screen at the same time in the sun. Gonna take a day to decide if I want to send it all back or keep it for light duty stuff.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fell for the sales pitch - Griots Garage Orbital

Picture of the branch scratch on the bed that I didn't touch today and picture of that scratch on the door after the 3 step.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Dog scratches, no before pics but I'm sure y'all have seen them before.

4. Thanks cwp2016nd thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to hear of your experience with the Griot's machine.

Sounds like you didn't do enough research.

An orbital is no match for a rotary with paint defects like you described.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

No I guess not, thought I did. Sitting there working on those scratches and I'm literally seeing all the forum posts about how great it is scrolling on the back on my eyelids.

Should have known better. I had a system that worked back then, it will still work now. Cheaped out and paid the price.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rduchateau2954 View Post
    No I guess not, thought I did. Sitting there working on those scratches and I'm literally seeing all the forum posts about how great it is scrolling on the back on my eyelids.

Should have known better. I had a system that worked back then, it will still work now. Cheaped out and paid the price.

The Flex machines are the Big Bullies of orbitals, and the Griot's BOSS machines are extremely capable, but no match for the cutting power of the rotary like I said.

Good to hear your opinion/experience good or bad though. And welcome to the forum.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree that nothing beats the power and speed of a rotary. If you are looking for a DA that can come close you need a forced rotation Da such as the flex 3401. With the right pads/polishes you can remove some serious defects with a random orbital but it will take much longer than the rotary. The reason DA polishers have become popular is their ability to finish hologram free. The safety of a DA does come with a loss in power and speed tho. A lot of people use the hybrid polishing technique which is compounding with a rotary and final polishing with a DA. Also welcome to the Forum.
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like

A Man (Detailer) is only as good as his/her tools, and the knowledge, experience, and proficiency of how, and when to use them I reckon.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Oldz View Post
    I agree that nothing beats the power and speed of a rotary. If you are looking for a DA that can come close you need a forced rotation Da such as the flex 3401. With the right pads/polishes you can remove some serious defects with a random orbital but it will take much longer than the rotary. The reason DA polishers have become popular is their ability to finish hologram free. The safety of a DA does come with a loss in power and speed tho. A lot of people use the hybrid polishing technique which is compounding with a rotary and final polishing with a DA. Also welcome to the Forum.
    30-35 years ago, that was about the only choice I had, as did basically all others, you learned by hook or crook to use a rotary, and then what I used to commonly do, was finish with one of the orbital waxers to help even the finish, reduce-remove any traces of buffer trails (holograms) and would usually finish with a one step product,

Thus this would kill a few birds with one stone with the waxer machine, and would add a protective wax also. All that was needed after was a finish wipe down and detail, remove residues and whatever spatter from cracks, seams, near badges, glass, trim, etc.

Oh, and remove the pea sized "Eye Doody" out of my eyes from all the dust and fibers, and product flying off the rotary. LOL

11. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Oldz View Post
    Thanks Paul.

Dr. Oldz. I'm just gonna get a rotary. I never had halo issues with 3m stuff.

My mistake was when I hear orbital I think of those dual t handle things you see at Walmart kinda thing.

13. Likes PaulMys liked this post
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast