autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Cutting with HF DA?

So, I haven't purchased as DA for detailing yet, but I'm pretty convinced I'd like to try the Harbor Freight unit. If it dies/is garbage, I'll chock it up to a life lesson and grab the Porter Cable 7424.

One of the first things I'd like to tackle when I pick it up, is bringing some oxidized gelcoat back to life. The gelcoat on my boat actually isn't that bad, but it could be a better.

The product I'll be using, Smoove Pro-Cut 1000, : Smoove Pro-Cut 1000 Professional Polishing Compound Quart : Sports & Outdoors[/url]) recommends a "white wool pad" to cut with.

So, I'm looking at picking up the following:

Lake Country 6" backer plate (Dual-Action Hook & Loop Flexible Backing Plate 6")
    6.5" Wool pads (6.5 inch Marine 31 4 Ply 100% Twisted Wool Compounding Pad (3 Pack))

Will this be sufficient?

I'd also like to pick up some other basic pads for automotive detailing, but I haven't 100% tackled that decision yet as to what a basic setup might run me..

Anyone?
    Last edited by Bobby B.; 03-21-2018 at 10:41 AM. Reason: Posting link to Amazon

Post Thanks / Like

Cutting with HF DA?

Quote Originally Posted by BellyUpFish View Post
    One of the first things I'd like to tackle when I pick it up, is bringing some oxidized gelcoat back to life.

Anyone?
    Even before I began reading your post I said to myself “well as long as he’s not going to try to restore some gelcoat or Ceramiclear he should be alright”
    And the 1st thing you said was gelcoat.🤦🏻lol.

...Well it’s possible, but depending on what pads & product you decide to use and the actual condition of the gelcoat it can range from PITA lotta work to easy maintenance once you’ve taken care of the initial restoration.

I know it makes sense to use the bigger 6” backing plate & pads due to the size of a boat, but that polisher really works to it’s maximum potential using a 5” backing plate & pads. So keep in mind that it’ll have more power for rotating the pads with the 5” setup.

When I did the initial cutting and restoration I did it with the HF using many many foam pads and Meguiars M67 One Step Compound, I also tried Marine 21 Heavy Oxidation Remover with mediocre results. I ended up getting rid of alot of the oxidation with the Megs M67 and terry towels by hand. The gelcoat I was dealing with was in rough shape, yours may not be as bad.

Once the grunt work/Heavy oxidation was taken care of, I ended up having some pretty good results with Griots Garage Boss FAST Correcting Cream. [by then I had upgraded to the G21 Boss Polisher and was using 7” Lake Country HD Orbital Blue Foam Cutting Pads]

When it was all said & done the gelcoat went from not being able to see your own reflection to this.Cutting with HF DA?

BTW, those wool pads you’re interested in are for rotary polishers and will not work with the HF DA or any other DA polisher.

3. Thanks BellyUpFish thanked for this post
    Likes SWETM, PaulMys, Roman92 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Cutting with HF DA?

Man, that thing shines!

My gel coat isn’t that bad really, it’s still got reflection ability, it’s just not been cleaned and polished like it should and I’d like to bring it back to life.

Does anyone make a 5” or 5.5” wool pad that would work with the HF DA? It may make more sense to just pick up a HF rotary as well, since they're cheap. Use it for the boat and then use the DA for upkeep on the boat..

I appreciate you’re help.

Here’s my current situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Thanks Eldorado2k thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cutting with HF DA?

One of my friends did a boat with a PC, Megs M100, and Lake Country Purple Foamed Wool pads. Not the thin pads, but the long hair pads. Tore through the oxidation with ease. We also used them on a 32' Trailer.

Post Thanks / Like

This maybe?

5 1/2 Inch Thin Foamed Wool Pad (2-Pack)

With this compound.

SONAX CutMax Cutting Compound

Gelcoat is hard work for the polisher so a quality one you will benefit from the start. Gear driven orbital polisher like Flex 3401vrg is great or a Flex pe14 rotary polisher. If you need to do a finishing polish a free spinning DA would work when the oxidized is off.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by BellyUpFish View Post

So, I haven't purchased as DA for detailing yet, but I'm pretty convinced I'd like to try the Harbor Freight unit.

If it dies/is garbage, I'll chock it up to a life lesson and grab the Porter Cable 7424.

If it dies or you can't maintain pad rotation under pressure get the Griot's Garage 6" ROP instead of the PC and then get the job done right and the fastest the second time.

Here's what you need to get into machine polishing - Recommendations for a beginner by Mike Phillips

I've been typing out articles on how-to remove swirls and scratches documented since 1994. That's 23 years. And that's just typing how to do. Been teaching people in person even longer. So please take my word for it... you need at a minimum what I call as simple or entry level orbital polisher.

My recommendation?

Get the Griot's Garage 6" DA Orbital Polisher. This one,

Griot's Garage 6" ROP - Standard cord

Griots Garage 6 Inch Heavy Duty Random Orbital Polisher - HD Cord - 25' Heavy Duty Cord already pre-wired

Why?

Because it's the best bang for the buck. There are cheaper polishers on the market but not better polishers for the value of your dollar plus Griot's backs this tool with a lifetime warranty. It also has all the power you'll need to take care of your own car or cars and for some of you, you could even detail cars for money with this tool.

Also - I don't really like playing the part of Forum Moderator, it's simply not fun. I like playing the part of "How-to Guy". But we don't have a lot of moderating that takes place on this forum so when I have to I do.

Here's the link to the forum rules, and below it the first rule. Note the part in red.

Forum Rules

The purpose of Autogeekonline.com is for detailing discussion, providing a place for likeminded auto "Geeks" to share knowledge and partake in fellowship.

1. The AutogeekOnline discussion forum is exclusively sponsored by Autogeek.com. Product discussion should be limited to products that are available from Autogeek.com and PBMA's family of websites.

Links, videos or recommendations to competing products and companies that are not available through Autogeek.com will be moved to the Moderators forum and offenders will be warned or simply placed into the SELF-BANNED category of member groups on this forum.

Repeated linking and recommendations of products not available through Autogeek.com may result in a permanent ban. Moderators have the right to edit any posts that contain links, recommendations or other information pertaining to competing companies that are not associated with Autogeek.com

Thanks for understanding, I know you're just trying to buff stuff out but there is a company that pays the bills around here and it's no Amazon, or eBay or Harbor Freight.

Last time I checked these three companies offered ZERO support for the junk they sell.

9. Likes VISITOR, Dano shine liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

As a current HF polisher owner, I'd say go with the Griot's. You'll need to upgrade the backing plate and pads anyway, so you might as well start with a good platform from the beginning.

The HF has decent power, but it isn't very smooth, it's loud, and the ergonomics aren't as good. Even though I use earplugs for hearing protection, I can't help but wonder if the vibrations and and lesser ergonomics make me more fatigued when I'm done doing a vehicle. I wish now I had bit the bullet and gone with the Griots years ago when I got into this hobby. It's much more expensive, but worth it in my book.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    As a current HF polisher owner, I'd say go with the Griot's. You'll need to upgrade the backing plate and pads anyway, so you might as well start with a good platform from the beginning.
    He’ll have to upgrade the backing plate on the GG6 as well... Unless he’s the 1% who plans on using it with 6” setup.

And neither polisher comes with pads, so there’s no need to upgrade what you don’t have to begin with.Cutting with HF DA?lol.

Just sayin.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    He’ll have to upgrade the backing plate on the GG6 as well... Unless he’s the 1% who plans on using it with 6” setup.

And neither polisher comes with pads, so there’s no need to upgrade what you don’t have to begin with.Cutting with HF DA?lol.

Just sayin.
    I wasn't sure if anyone would use a 6" on a boat. I've never cared for a boat and wasn't going to advise on something I didn't know anything about. Even with the 6" plate on the HF's, they are rarely balanced properly or not warped, so a new one would be in order most likely. As for the pads, some people may buy the pads hanging on the rack right next to the polishers. They are garbage, and if you don't know better like I didn't at the time, you might be tempted to go with what is readily at hand.

You never know a person's background or experience. I was just providing advice from the standpoint of someone whose been in a similar position.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

You can go with a polisher and pad kit and get a good bang for the buck too. Then you can chose the HD version in the adding part of the the kit. This way you get some discount on the polisher and the pads. Then ad the polishes and the pads you like. The Griots Garage has some great polishes and pads to ad and I would get the LC purple wool pads also for your boat.

Griot?s Garage 6 inch Random Orbital Correct & Finish Combo LIMITED TIME ONLY!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast