autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wet sanding

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Wet sanding

Hi again mike have another question will try not to take up to much of your time.

After using the 3m 5000 sanding disc can i follow up with m205 and m microfiber cutting pad to eliminate the sanding marks and the haze or what would be your combo to eliminate the sanding marks and haze and to bring back the shine?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

So i wet sanded a panel yesterday and can see that it has reduced the orange peel knocked it down alitte bit but i closer look its still there but not as bad..
    I did 4 passes and not sure if ill do another pass dont want to push it to far.

Another thing the paint imperfections are still present i thinking about doing a spot sand with 1500 grit hopefully that might rid them at least reduce them would do you all think?

Post Thanks / Like

If you have the possibility to take pictures and upload I think you can get more help. It's hard to recommend something blind. And more information is good also. What kind of sander do you use? And what part are you sanding on the resprayed part or the oem part? Have you done readings after you have sanded? You more information you can give you more help you can get.

I have no experience with wet sanding so I leave it for the pros to help you out. But it's hard to do it this way in text.

Hope it's works out to your satisfaction!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok here is a before pic before i started

And this is after i done 4 passes with the carpro denim pad and m205 as you can the OP is looking a bit better
    https://imageshack.us/i/pmjf7dozj

Here the DA im using is a shine mate
    https://imageshack.us/my/images

Will post pics of the imperfections later...

Newbie Member InnovativeAutoDetail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Sorry for the late reply but you posted this after I had already put in a 9 hour day and had logged-off.

I'd say "probably". Paint Thickness Gauges only measure total film build unless you dump a ton of money into one and even then....

The 3M Trizact Sanding Discs are probably the safest sanding discs on the market. So if you want or need to remove orange peel or other surface texture than I say go for it.

Just remember these things,

1: Sanding is the easy part - the tricky part is getting 100% of your sanding marks out.

And these,

2: Sanding removes paint

3: Compounding removes paint.

4: Polishing removes a little paint.

The last thing you want to do is make a "whoops".

Number 1. is so true it is not even funny! Good thing I was practicing on a buddy's truck when I went to wet-sanding and trying to back everything out. By chasing trying to get the marks out, I unfortunately took a little to much clear coat off and went into the base. I learned that lesson on that one! He liked the rest of the test spot (looked perfect, 2000 to 3000 grit/OPT Hyper Compound/Hyper Polish), then he sold the truck before I could finish lol.

All great information Mike, thank you!
    YouTube-Ben Bailey/@innovativeautodetailing on IG/Innovative Auto Detailing-SC on Facebook/IGL Coatings

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12