autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Rotary VS Dual Action for Compounding

Achieving results in less time - Assuming you know how to use both machines professionally and assuming you can use any pad/compound option, it seems as though using a rotary for compounding is still the most efficient way to go. (I am talking about compounding, not finishing.)

For full finish correction then, using a rotary, followed up with a DA for finishing - you yield best results using the least amount of time.

- Please chime in on your thoughts

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rotary VS Dual Action for Compounding

The rotory may have you working backwards given all the new abrasive available today

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mbkite View Post
    The rotory may have you working backwards given all the new abrasive available today
    Explain -

DA's can either be one of the following, but not both

- Safe, meaning it takes longer to compound as to not go through the clear as fast
    - Just as unsafe, or more unsafe if it can compound as fast as a rotary

Post Thanks / Like

Well if you want to leave as much paint on the car as posable a rotory may leave its own damage on the paint that you will need to remove so the trick is to not let that happen. Not real good with links but their is a few good posts in here by Mike P on this subject

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mbkite View Post
    Well if you want to leave as much paint on the car as posable a rotory may leave its own damage on the paint that you will need to remove so the trick is to not let that happen. Not real good with links but their is a few good posts in here by Mike P on this subject
    Some removal of hazing from a rotary is ok though since this is step 1 - compounding, also, we made the assumption that the handler is proficient with a rotary and knows how to use it without damaging.

Post Thanks / Like

Just doing the winter research my self but aiming to up my game in the spring good luck with your project

Post Thanks / Like

If you know that you are going to do at least 1 more step afterwards then I think yes, using a rotary for compounding is still the most efficient way to go.

8. Likes mwoywod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Here's something to think about. In your post, you stated that a rotary to compound and then a da to polish will achieve the best result in shortest amount of time. That is probably true. But if I can get the same result with a one step with a long throw and an excellent levelling fluid, then I will have done it in a shorter time.

My point is, a two step compounding and polishing step is the norm for a lot of details but why do two when you can do the same in one? Also what is your ennvironment? Is this body shop work or is this vehicle beautification? A rotary is faster but you are still removing more paint. Why remove more clear then you need to? Forced rotation and long throw are both faster options for a DA but do the job with much less risk and much less paint removal.
    2016 Mazda 3 Sports GT
    2015 Lexus IS250 F Sport

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WillSports3 View Post
    Here's something to think about. In your post, you stated that a rotary to compound and then a da to polish will achieve the best result in shortest amount of time. That is probably true. But if I can get the same result with a one step with a long throw and an excellent levelling fluid, then I will have done it in a shorter time.

My point is, a two step compounding and polishing step is the norm for a lot of details but why do two when you can do the same in one? Also what is your ennvironment? Is this body shop work or is this vehicle beautification? A rotary is faster but you are still removing more paint. Why remove more clear then you need to? Forced rotation and long throw are both faster options for a DA but do the job with much less risk and much less paint removal.
    If you are doing heavy cut compounding with a DA, you will still have to follow up with a finishing process. I am not talking about easy swirl removal here.

Post Thanks / Like

You need to remove the same amount of clear coat to make a defect disappear no matter if you use a rotary, forced DA, long throw DA or normal DA.

12. Thanks Aaryn NZ thanked for this post
    Likes Aaryn NZ liked this post
Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast