autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
    SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rotary VS Dual Action for Compounding

Quote Originally Posted by jslym777 View Post
    So an operator must be more conscious about clear levels using a DA than with a rotary because it can cut through clear faster?
    Not just any DA, cant class MKII’s with any other DA’s as nothing out there comes even close. More importantly always do a test spot with the least aggressive methods and slowly step up if needed.

2. Likes dlc95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin47 View Post
    Nice factual link right there. How you finding Resurrection? I like Redemption.
    I have already pointed out that this does not pertain to my original discussion as this is a one step and we do not know the before condition. I have already agreed that if it is light swirl removal, a single step DA is first choice. But we are discussing a 2 step with compounding being the first. Again, we are not talking about light jobs that require a single step.

Post Thanks / Like

Not just any DA, cant class MKII’s with any other DA’s as nothing out there comes even close. More importantly always do a test spot with the least aggressive methods and slowly step up if needed.

So if I rephrase and say - "using an MKII, you will need to be more conscious of clear coat levels than if you used a rotary because it cuts through clear faster" is a correct statement?

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

I have already pointed out that this does not pertain to my original discussion as this is a one step and we do not know the before condition. I have already agreed that if it is light swirl removal, a single step DA is first choice. But we are discussing a 2 step with compounding being the first. Again, we are not talking about light jobs that require a single step.
    Again, one step two step three step MKII still faster with a better finish. If you talking PC,GG,3401 etc. rotary is faster then.

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

So if I rephrase and say - "using an MKII, you will need to be more conscious of clear coat levels than if you used a rotary because it cuts through clear faster" is a correct statement?
    Experience and test spots as the pad and abrasives will dictate howmuch and how fast it cuts.

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

4 ply twisted wool on PE-14 and LH19E on speeds 4 on rotary with extreme cut compounds can match 21 MKII with DMX pads in cut but not finish.

Post Thanks / Like

Experience and test spots as the pad and abrasives will dictate howmuch and how fast it cuts.
    So if this statement is true, then is it correct to say that using the MKII in the first step does not actually save you time because it doesn't matter what tool it is, only the pad and compound combination? And since it is cutting at the same rate, given the cutting material, it is just as "unsafe" in terms of removing too much clear coat?

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

So if this statement is true, then is it correct to say that using the MKII in the first step does not actually save you time because it doesn't matter what tool it is, only the pad and compound combination? And since it is cutting at the same rate, given the cutting material, it is just as "unsafe" in terms of removing too much clear coat?
    I give up. Your minds made up, goodluck.

10. Likes Joel1979, dlc95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I give up. Your minds made up, goodluck.
    I am just pushing hard questions to get definitive answers.

12. Likes Joel1979 liked this post
    Dislikes Joel1979 disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

1 - In what case do you use it that you can't achieve results from your DA?
    2 - How is it safer if the operator is proficient with each tool and takes all necessary preliminary steps?
    3 - We are only talking about 2 step corrections in this discussion (not a one step) because even if you use a heavy cut with microfiber pad, there will still be some DA hazing from this process that you need to finish off.
    1- Has not happened yet on things that could be done with a tool. Every instances where the DA could not do it, sanding was required. But I still try the wool pad/rotary combo before jumping to sanding, just in case.
    2- A second of loosing focus with a rotary is all it takes to burn an edge. You can't do that with a DA. Sure if you stay on an edge for a while, the DA can burn through it, but it will never do it in a second like a rotary can.
    3 - And... you can't really do 1 steps with a rotary and get a decent result...

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast