autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Help Needed - Post Body Shop Wet Sand And Buff Repair Question

Hello All!

First I want to thank all of you for the wealth of knowledge I have learned on the site. I have been a lurker here for the past few years and have a question I was hoping to get some feedback and suggestions on.

I recently got in a small accident and came into contact with a car on a narrow street. The body overall was in good shape and there were some marks left going down the passenger side of my car.

I went to a few reputable body shops here in Atlanta and received a few quotes. I chose the shop I felt best about and followed their recommendation of a combination of wet sanding and buffing. One thing I learned here on the site is to use the least aggressive method that will provide the desired result. I conveyed this to the body shop manager that I wanted to protect the clearcoat and paint as much as possible.

I picked up the car and it looked pretty decent overall, but I have recently noticed a couple of areas that are concerning and appear to be pretty dull and do not feel like the surrounding areas on the same panel. My concern is that they may have removed too much or all of the clear coat in a few areas. I have attached some pictures to give a better idea of what I am looking at.

The questions I was hoping to get some feedback or guidance are:

1.) Does it look like the clear is removed in the pictured areas? Or maybe just rough wet sanding that needs some more polishing?

2.) What would you do to repair or improve this if you were in my shoes? I am an amateur in skill level, but I do have a porter cable 7424 XP that I purchased here on the site and some pads and microfiber pads for hand polishing as well. I want to protect the area and make it look as good as possible and it is not in my budget to repaint. I will use Klasse all in one and sealant glaze after I finish the work, just don't know the best options to improve the appearance and still leave the paint protected.

I would greatly appreciate any feedback or suggestions that you may have. Please let me know if you need any more photos to clarify any questions. Solid community here and thanks to all in advance for your help and suggestions!!

Help Needed - Post Body Shop Wet Sand And Buff Repair Question-1-jpgHelp Needed - Post Body Shop Wet Sand And Buff Repair Question-2-jpgHelp Needed - Post Body Shop Wet Sand And Buff Repair Question-3-jpgHelp Needed - Post Body Shop Wet Sand And Buff Repair Question-4-jpgHelp Needed - Post Body Shop Wet Sand And Buff Repair Question-5-jpgHelp Needed - Post Body Shop Wet Sand And Buff Repair Question-6-jpgHelp Needed - Post Body Shop Wet Sand And Buff Repair Question-7-jpgHelp Needed - Post Body Shop Wet Sand And Buff Repair Question-8-jpg

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Help Needed - Post Body Shop Wet Sand And Buff Repair Question

Hello All!

First I want to thank all of you for the wealth of knowledge I have learned on the site. I have been a lurker here for the past few years and have a question I was hoping to get some feedback and suggestions on.

I recently got in a small accident and came into contact with a car on a narrow street. The body overall was in good shape and there were some marks left going down the passenger side of my car.

I went to a few reputable body shops here in Atlanta and received a few quotes. I chose the shop I felt best about and followed their recommendation of a combination of wet sanding and buffing. One thing I learned here on the site is to use the least aggressive method that will provide the desired result. I conveyed this to the body shop manager that I wanted to protect the clearcoat and paint as much as possible.

I picked up the car and it looked pretty decent overall, but I have recently noticed a couple of areas that are concerning and appear to be pretty dull and do not feel like the surrounding areas on the same panel. My concern is that they may have removed too much or all of the clear coat in a few areas. I have attached some pictures to give a better idea of what I am looking at.

1.) Does it look like the clear is removed in the pictured areas? Or maybe just rough wet sanding that needs some more polishing?

2.) What would you do to repair or improve this if you were in my shoes? I am an amateur in skill level, but I do have a porter cable 7424 XP that I purchased here on the site and some pads and microfiber pads for hand polishing as well. I want to protect the area and make it look as good as possible and it is not in my budget to repaint. I will use Klasse all in one and sealant glaze after I finish the work, just don't know the best options to improve the appearance and still leave the paint protected.

I would greatly appreciate any feedback or suggestions that you may have. Please let me know if you need any more photos to clarify any questions. Solid community here and thanks to all in advance for your help and suggestions!!

Help Needed - Post Body Shop Wet Sand And Buff Repair Question-1-jpgHelp Needed - Post Body Shop Wet Sand And Buff Repair Question-2-jpgHelp Needed - Post Body Shop Wet Sand And Buff Repair Question-3-jpgHelp Needed - Post Body Shop Wet Sand And Buff Repair Question-4-jpgHelp Needed - Post Body Shop Wet Sand And Buff Repair Question-5-jpgHelp Needed - Post Body Shop Wet Sand And Buff Repair Question-6-jpgHelp Needed - Post Body Shop Wet Sand And Buff Repair Question-7-jpgHelp Needed - Post Body Shop Wet Sand And Buff Repair Question-8-jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Help Needed - Post Body Shop Wet Sand And Buff Repair Question

Quote Originally Posted by Honais View Post
    Hello All!

2.) What would you do to repair or improve this if you were in my shoes?

Welcome to AGO! Sorry to hear about your mishap. Too bad you didn't have good pictures of what the damage looked like before you brought it to the body shop.
    Would have been interesting to see if some good old M105 or M101 could have taken care of that with a Foam DA.

To answer your questions:
    Q1 - Yes, it looks like they either burned the clear or they did not polish the section out.
    Q2 - I would bring it back to them and tell them this is unacceptable. That it needs to match the rest of the paint. Or, if they screwed it up once, odds are they will screw it up again... You could take it somewhere else, then charge them for their repair bill & the second repair bill.

4. Thanks Honais thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Not trying to get on your case, but you shouldn't have accepted that kind of results in the first place.

I agree with Paul on the two questions that he answered.

6. Likes LSNAutoDetailing liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hello All!

That doesn't look good, I wish you would have posted here before letting the body shop do the work. I think most people here even Mike Phillips himself probably would have told you not to have factory clear coat wet sanded. Did they wet sand and buff the whole car? Sorry I can't help with the problem

8. Thanks Honais thanked for this post
    Mike Phillips

Hello All!

Hard to tell from the pictures if the paint is just dull or if the clear is missing.

Basecoat is DULL so if they removed too much clear and exposed the basecoat then it will look dull.

IF they didn't get all of their sanding marks out then sanded paint looks dull.

The only way you can tell and it's kind of tricky - you need a dark cloth like a chunk of black t-shirt and a grey polish. Rub some grey polish with the black t-shirt over a dull area. If you see white paint coming off then the clear is missing. If the t-shirt and grey polish is all you see then the clear is still intact. At this point, you should be able to rub longer with a quality polish and see clarity and gloss come back to the dull paint - that is if the clear is still present.

IF the clear is gone then the only recourse is to repaint.

What do you have for compounds and polishes?

Sorry to hear of this mishap - I'm sad to say your experience is the norm for most body shops.

10. Thanks Honais thanked for this post
    Mike Phillips

Oh yeah... I merged your two identical posts into one.

No need to make two posts for a single topic - it leads to confusion.

I can remove the second redundant post to clean up the thread.

12. Thanks Honais thanked for this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks so much to everyone for the quick feedback. I will follow Mike's recommendation for the black shirt and gray polish and will post once I know if the clear is indeed gone.

What is a good gray polish to use? (Maybe something I could buy locally to check this out tomorrow?)

Thanks again,

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks so much to everyone for the quick feedback. I will follow Mike's recommendation for the black shirt and gray polish and will post once I know if the clear is indeed gone.

What is a good gray polish to use? (Maybe something I could buy locally to check this out tomorrow?)

Thanks again,
    Megs Ultimate Compound, not exactly grey, buy a light beige and should do.

15. Thanks Honais thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't know about OTC products, but Pinnacle Advanced Finishing Polish or the Menzerna polishes are grey.
    Perhaps there is an AGO member in your area that can send you a sample?

17. Thanks Honais thanked for this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast