autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Newbi looking for some advice

Hello everyone,
    My name is Dan I’m new to the forum. I picked up a GG6 about 6 months ago but haven’t used it yet. Looking to get some some pads and some compounds / polishes/wax so I can start using this thing. I’m completely new to this so I could use some help. I’ve picked up a 5” backing plate and several LC ThinPro pads but not sure what else to get. I have a black 99 f250 that’s pretty oxidized and a 2000 accord that’s in pretty good shape. These are the cars I will be working on mostly. I’ve been doing tones of reading but there are so many options it’s a little overwhelming. What do you guys/gals suggest for a beginner like me? So far I’m looking at m101 m205 , Menzerna fg400. Or maybe some of the griots products from what I’ve read they are pretty user friendly as you can see I’m kinda all over so any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Newbi looking for some advice

Meguiars Ultimate Compound and Polish.
    "Dirt likes detergent so much better than the surface that it's attached to, it'll leave that surface to go hang out with the soap"...aim4squirrels

Post Thanks / Like

The Thin Pro pads are great on free spinning DA's. Have a good supply of cut, medium cut and finish pads. You can never have too many pads.

I would suggest trying the different abrasive technologies in smaller bottles to start with. You'll find what you like to work with best. Try the Meg's SMAT's and the Menzerna DAT's. Throw in some Griots correcting and finishing "creams" and narrow it down. The F250 is most likely hard paint and the Honda is most likely soft. Like Mike Phillips says "find what YOU like and use it often"!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm new at this as well, and Paul summed it up pretty well. Several orange cutting pads and several white/green (depending on manufacturer) polishing pads.

I tried a couple compounds / polishes, and the Griot's BOSS products are awesome. I have Fast Correcting Cream and Perfecting Cream. I highly recommend. Very effective and very easy to use.

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Dbaxter26 View Post

Hello everyone,

My name is Dan I’m new to the forum.

I picked up a GG6 about 6 months ago but haven’t used it yet. Looking to get some some pads and some compounds / polishes/wax so I can start using this thing.

I’m completely new to this so I could use some help.

I’ve picked up a 5” backing plate and several LC ThinPro pads but not sure what else to get.

I have a black 99 f250 that’s pretty oxidized and a 2000 accord that’s in pretty good shape. These are the cars I will be working on mostly.

I’ve been doing tones of reading but there are so many options it’s a little overwhelming.

What do you guys/gals suggest for a beginner like me?

So far I’m looking at m101 m205 , Menzerna fg400. Or maybe some of the griots products from what I’ve read they are pretty user friendly as you can see I’m kinda all over so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Hi Dan,

Welcome to AutogeekOnline!

Appreciate you're joining the forum to get help an guidance - you'll get great help and accurate info here.

See how I broke up your original post from a huge chunk of text into smaller bites? Just a tip, people won't tend to read huge chunks of text, it's hard for the human eye to track from the end of one sentence to the beginning of a new sentences after about 3-4 sentences. So instead of reading, (which is what you want), they will either scan or simply not read at all.

Just a tip.

Also, you posted this in the forum group for wetsanding. My guess is you're not wetsanding?

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Dbaxter26 View Post

What do you guys/gals suggest for a beginner like me?

as you can see I’m kinda all over so any help would be appreciated.

Recently I wrote the below article. It has,

In-depth information on pad options for the polisher you purchased.

In-depth information on the differences between microfiber and foam pad options to help you decide if which style is best for you.

A how-to video that covers,

The Baggie Test
    How to clay paint
    How to do a Test Spot
    How to do a Section Pass
    How to inspect and judge you're work.
    How to use a swirl finder light
    How to tackle a car for each step, compounding, polishing and waxing
    Lots of other techniques

There are also links to more articles I've written that will help you use your new polisher to the MAX and get pro results the first time and every time.

Here's the link,

Here's what you need to get into machine polishing - Recommendations for a beginner by Mike Phillips

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for everyone’s quick response seams like a really great community around here. There is so much great knowledge and smart people here. I’m glad I found this forum

I’ve ordered 12 LC thin pro pads . And several compounds and polishes. I guess I’m just going to start playing with it and try to learn what works best as I go.
    (What I got to start)
    Mags M205
    Ultimate compound
    Manzerna fg400
    HD speed
    Griots fast correcting cream/ correcting cream
    Wolfgang deep gloss paint sealant

Mike thanks for your reply and links to the write ups you have done. I have been doing lots of reading and watching videos the last week or two trying to learn what I can before I get started. Your info has been a great insight to this new hobby.

Post Thanks / Like

Some great products, Dbaxter! Once you start playing around with the machine, pads and liquids it will come together for you. That's the fun part!

There's a great read over on the sister site Autopia on the science of the Griots "creams" and the science of the abrasives used.

Oh and welcome to our sickness.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to AGO! You will have fun on this site!
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!