autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Polish wipe down quick question

So frustrating after searches not being able to find the answer to a question I know is out there

Anyway, as you wipe down after polishing an area what do you use? IPA, Mineral Spirits, etc? Are these solvents the mainstay everyone uses or are they too harsh to use throughout the polishing process

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Polish wipe down quick question

I use to use 50/50 alcohol with distilled water. But I switched over to Eraser. A product CarPro puts out.

I find it has more lubrication than a IPA. Lots of companies make products for removing polish oils and paint prep.

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting thought. I just use a dry towel. Is that wrong?

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline
    Mike Honcho

Post Thanks / Like

I too used to use the IPA mixture but have since switched over to a product (Eraser) designed for this purpose.

Post Thanks / Like

For me it depends on what LSP I'm going to apply.

If I'm going to put down a wax or sealant, I don't do any post-polish wipe down. I'll simply buff off the polish and go straight to the LSP. For coatings I'll use a paint prep. The only one I've tried so far is Blackfire's Paint Prep.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Use a dry mf towel. If it doesn't come off with just a little-moderate pressure on the towel. Don't press any harder, use a spritz of 50/50 water and ipa mixed and it'll come right off

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Gtehniq Panel wipe is BAR NONE the best inspection/wipe down product I've ever used. It has more lubricity than CarPro Eraser, Optimum Paint Prep, Gyeon Paint Prep and does not streak!! This is one product I will never change!

IPA(even when diluted with water) is way too grabby and can micro-marr the finish.

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    If I'm going to put down a wax or sealant, I don't do any post-polish wipe down. I'll simply buff off the polish and go straight to the LSP.
    Not a good idea, as polishes will fill micro-marring and you're not getting the true finish. At least do a test spot and use a panel wipe to remove polishing oils and hope the rest of the car has the same paint system. I do one test spot with panel wipe on every panel to make sure I'm getting the finish desired.
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

That's an issue I see often that I can't get all the polish off so when I bring that portion of the car in the sun can't tell if holograms are real or just the polish. Will try IPA/water mixture this weekend and next time I place an order, will try Gtehniq. Think I have a bottle of Eraser in the basement, will try it too. Thanks all!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WRAPT C5Z06 View Post
    Gtehniq Panel wipe is BAR NONE the best inspection/wipe down product I've ever used. It has more lubricity than CarPro Eraser, Optimum Paint Prep, Gyeon Paint Prep and does not streak!! This is one product I will never change!

IPA(even when diluted with water) is way too grabby and can micro-marr the finish.
    I agree, I have used on glass to see how clean it wipes even. I liked it so much on the 1st order I made after my 1st use of it I got the 5l.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeFan View Post
    That's an issue I see often that I can't get all the polish off so when I bring that portion of the car in the sun can't tell if holograms are real or just the polish. Will try IPA/water mixture this weekend and next time I place an order, will try Gtehniq. Think I have a bottle of Eraser in the basement, will try it too. Thanks all!
    Beyond that, even if you pull it out into the sun and you don't see residual polishing oils from wiping, most likely there's lubricating oils you can't see that are filling micro-marring. That will not be removed until you use a panel wipe, then you will have the true finish!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ancient1 View Post
    I agree, I have used on glass to see how clean it wipes even. I liked it so much on the 1st order I made after my 1st use of it I got the 5l.
    NICE!!!!! I'm going to purchase a 5L of Gtechniq Panel Wipe once I finish the 500ml. Love this stuff!!
    '03 Corvette Z06

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast