autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Polishing newly painted panel

Long story short... the quarter panel and fenders got some new paint and im curious how soon I can polish... i know sealant / wax is 30 days minimum but I figured I would do a mild paint correction while I wait.

Mike Phillips

Re: Polishing newly painted panel

Quote Originally Posted by OptimumAutoSpa View Post

Long story short...

the quarter panel and fenders got some new paint and im curious how soon I can polish...

i know sealant / wax is 30 days minimum but I figured I would do a mild paint correction while I wait.

You can normally start any sanding and buffing process a few days after the paint has been sprayed.

The sooner you start sanding and buffing "generally speaking" the easier it will be to remove your sanding marks because the paint will still be more polishable. I wouldn't say it's soft but I would say it will not have reached full cure and hardness. What I have seen when paint is sanded and buffed too soon is the surface appearance changes for the worse and you'll see what looks like dull splotchy areas, sometimes you'll see sanding marks that you "thought" you removed re-appear.

The longer you wait, the more the paint will dry and do any shifting it's going to do and then when you sand and buff, the results you see are the results you get.

What are you working on?

What type of paint was sprayed?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by OptimumAutoSpa View Post
    Long story short... the quarter panel and fenders got some new paint and im curious how soon I can polish... i know sealant / wax is 30 days minimum but I figured I would do a mild paint correction while I wait.
    Just had the same situation and HIGHLY recommend 3D AAT 505. It's silicon free and 100% awesome stuff and fresh paint safe. I'm so pleased that I'm going to use it going forward on more details. The key is to not use any products with silicon or anything that will prevent the paint from gassing off. My car was sprayed with BASF Paint and they recommend 30 days for summer temps.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pdqgp View Post
    Just had the same situation and HIGHLY recommend 3D AAT 505. It's silicon free and 100% awesome stuff and fresh paint safe. I'm so pleased that I'm going to use it going forward on more details. The key is to not use any products with silicon or anything that will prevent the paint from gassing off. My car was sprayed with BASF Paint and they recommend 30 days for summer temps.
    Someone hit the Audi man?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by idriveblackcars View Post
    Someone hit the Audi man?
    Yep. Good news is the car is beyond perfect. I fought the other guys insurance but got both doors replaced not repaired and the paint works is beyond outstanding.

https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...ml#post1500623
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pdqgp View Post
    Yep. Good news is the car is beyond perfect. I fought the other guys insurance but got both doors replaced not repaired and the paint works is beyond outstanding.

https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...ml#post1500623
    Damn brand new doors! Sweet

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    You can normally start any sanding and buffing process a few days after the paint has been sprayed.

The sooner you start sanding and buffing "generally speaking" the easier it will be to remove your sanding marks because the paint will still be more polishable. I wouldn't say it's soft but I would say it will not have reached full cure and hardness. What I have seen when paint is sanded and buffed too soon is the surface appearance changes for the worse and you'll see what looks like dull splotchy areas, sometimes you'll see sanding marks that you "thought" you removed re-appear.

The longer you wait, the more the paint will dry and do any shifting it's going to do and then when you sand and buff, the results you see are the results you get.

What are you working on?

What type of paint was sprayed?

Why would you start sanding a panel that was just painted? I mean, polish/wax/seal, I understand.. but isn't wet sanding for defects? A new panel shouldn't have defects.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by idriveblackcars View Post
    Damn brand new doors! Sweet
    Yep. The level of detail they put into fixing it is amazing. The shop doesn't re-use any nuts, bolts or clips, bumpers, nothing. They collect them all upon disassembly and replace them with all new parts. I'm very pleased.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by amalik View Post
    Why would you start sanding a panel that was just painted? I mean, polish/wax/seal, I understand.. but isn't wet sanding for defects? A new panel shouldn't have defects.
    you would sand a freshly painted panel to take out the orange peel sprayed and get rid of the "trash" in the paint, or even to texture match to a existing panel. different grits leave different texture/orange peel. Also waxing a fresh panel is not recommended as the panel will not be able to gas out "breathe". You have to wait a month or two at least.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by coopermosley View Post
    you would sand a freshly painted panel to take out the orange peel sprayed and get rid of the "trash" in the paint, or even to texture match to a existing panel. different grits leave different texture/orange peel. Also waxing a fresh panel is not recommended as the panel will not be able to gas out "breathe". You have to wait a month or two at least.
    While I understand what you're saying, Wikipedia says orange peel is the result of improper painting. I would think there wouldn't be orange peel when a shop did the job perfectly, as OP said they did.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast