autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Marshmallow ice cubes

Recently listen to opty pod cast and Yvan lacroy who always makes perfect sense to me said paint is like plastic if you get it to hot it swells.
    he explained if you were to sand an ice cube it would sand down but if you sand a marshmallow not so much.
    my thoughts are if you start out using the least aggressive method you are making paint hot and swelling it turning it into marshmallow.
    So would it be better to use an aggressive first. I think the defects would be removed before paint gets hot and swells ?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Marshmallow ice cubes

•If you take the following analogy
    to the XTreme degree:
    -since the paint is going to get hot and
    swell, anyway, (from using the "least
    aggressive" first)...therefore, you might
    as well use the "most aggressive" first...

-Then...preheating the paint with an
    oxyacetylene torch, before attempting
    defect removal, would seem to be an
    even better method.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

perhaps it sounds good to some but IMO it's not true. personally I do believe in trying a lessor aggressive method first as on many vehicles and paint systems it will work fine. that said, I do find it often works better in terms of time savings to hit many harder more difficult situations with Microfiber or Wool and a compound of some type, either medium or harsher to quickly remove the defects then to go back over the surface with a polish. again, the key for me is saving time. It makes little sense to spend 8-10hrs with a 2-3 step process on a hammered sedan only to lesson the $/per hour earned. it's much more effective and easier to compound it with 3-4 passes using a purple wool pad (which finishes beautifully) then to just simply have to hit 2-3 more passes with a white pad and some polish. huge time savings IMO.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

The theory is hot swelled corrected paint will look good but when it cools down the defects will return.

Post Thanks / Like

Trying to up my game on paint correction so all opinions welcome

Post Thanks / Like

I like Optimum, and I like Yvan, but a lot of times in order to make a point, he seems to engage in a lot of hyperbole that doesn't really help (like your MF towels will melt if you heat them up to 145F).

I think the point here is it's probably better to keep paint cooler while polishing rather than hotter. Optimum (Yvan) has a system for this which includes using waffle pads that are wet with ONR. So yeah, that's great. But then to convince you that it's great, here comes the hyperbole about marshmallows and ice cubes and now you have taken this to an extreme which is hey, let's start with the most aggressive method.

If you get paint hot from polishing, it doesn't take long to cool down. And let's talk relative temperature, how hot do you get polishing in the shade vs. a black car sitting in the sun? Or even a silver car sitting in the summer sun?

I've never gotten a surface so hot from polishing I couldn't touch it, but sure as shoe polish a car can get that hot from sitting in the sun.