autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

How many times can you wet sand and polish the same area?

If you repaired a scratch on the clear coat with wet sanding and polishing and the same area gets scratched again, can you keep wet sanding and polishing the same area over again each time it gets scratched?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How many times can you wet sand and polish the same area?

Invest in a thickness gauge. Overall, I wouldn't keep wet-sanding, I'd find out how to prevent the scratches. What's the situation you're in that is causing things? Especially one that requires wet sanding?
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by vital2 View Post

If you repaired a scratch on the clear coat with wet sanding and polishing and the same area gets scratched again, can you keep wet sanding and polishing the same area over again each time it gets scratched?
    No.

If you try you will cry.

I have sanded through factory clear trying to remove a single scratch. Here's the way I type about this,

Words cannot describe the heard-sinking feeling that overcomes you when you realize you've sanded or buffed through the clearcoat -Mike Phillips

In the first place, the majority of people on earth with drivers licenses and cars should NOT be wet sanding the factory clearcoat finish on their daily drivers. Here's why, this is one of the top 10 articles I've written that I share the most often,

Clearcoats are thin by Mike Phillips

Click the link. Look at the pictures. Copy what you see in the pictures to drive the point home.

Mike Phillips

Also...

For everyone else that will ever read this thread into the future, remember...

1. Sanding removes paint.
    2. Compounding removes paint.
    3. Polishing removes a little paint.

You only have a limited amount of paint on the car and even the best in this industry, sooner or later will sand or buff through a factory clearcoat finish.

Post Thanks / Like

mike.. thanks for the resurfacing this excellent advice as a reminder to us weekenders..

with of course a lot of variance involved.. and no actual committed firm answer..

would you consider replying to this question below:

2016 metallic black 4runner

no body work done

i am about to perform a full 3 step paint correction process: IRON x, nanoskin wipe down, WG uber compound with flex to remove DISO, finishing glaze, WG Sealant, then ps21 topping.

i am only going to perform the standard 6 pass process for UBER Compound and then Finishing Glaze.. orange/ white hybrid pads with FLEX 3401.. i will not be chasing the deeper scratches which remain....

would the following ownership life cycle be feasible without compromising clearcoat: i understand there are many many variables..but just seeking a rooftop outline of what may considered conservative, safe long term ownership maintenance cycle/ process, pls.

year 1: uber compound / finishing glaze (aka fine polishing) then lsp (note.. i will try the swirl remover first.. but i think to obtain the paint correction goal im looking for.. i think i may end up progressing to the UBER compound)..
    year 2-4 : finishing glaze then lsp, annually
    year 5 compound, finishing glaze, lsp
    year 6-9 : finishing glaze, lsp
    year 10 compound

repeat for the 10 year cycle for the 2nd decade of owernship...

is this feasible for car ownership of 15-20 years..

or would you recommend 1x compounding, within a 10 year cycle and stay with polishing..

or polishing only biannually?

Post Thanks / Like

I wetsanded a scratch on my hood with 2500 grit that came in a scratch repair kit. I had no experience. It came out good but I went easy on it and I think I have hard paint

Post Thanks / Like

I have some orange peel on the drivers side doors that I would love to eliminate but I don't know if I have the nads. If I do try it I'm only going to use 5000 grit paper or 3000 at the most.

Post Thanks / Like

It's only noticeable in the garage

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Toolhead View Post

would the following ownership life cycle be feasible without compromising clearcoat:

i understand there are many many variables..but just seeking a rooftop outline of what may considered conservative, safe long term ownership maintenance cycle/ process, pls.

year 1: uber compound / finishing glaze (aka fine polishing) then lsp (note.. i will try the swirl remover first.. but i think to obtain the paint correction goal im looking for.. i think i may end up progressing to the UBER compound)..
    year 2-4 : finishing glaze then lsp, annually
    year 5 compound, finishing glaze, lsp
    year 6-9 : finishing glaze, lsp
    year 10 compound

repeat for the 10 year cycle for the 2nd decade of owernship...

is this feasible for car ownership of 15-20 years..

or would you recommend 1x compounding, within a 10 year cycle and stay with polishing..

or polishing only biannually?

I think the above is completely sane.

If you wash her carefully, you won't have to compound much...

Then take uber care of the horizontal surfaces as these are the surfaces that take the most wear-n-tear.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    I think the above is completely sane.

If you wash her carefully, you won't have to compound much...

Then take uber care of the horizontal surfaces as these are the surfaces that take the most wear-n-tear.

HI Mike, I swear I got rid off some orange peel by compounding. Is that possible. I've only compounded it once with m101 and a griots microfiber finishing pad. I'm thinking of trying it again to get rid of the Orange peel on the door?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast