autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Damp Sanding question

When damp sanding, I've been using rinseless wash D114 @ 1:256 (or Mckee's N-914) in a trigger sprayer and in my bucket with mirka abralon discs rather than a drop of dish soap. I was hoping Mike or someone else who does a lot of damp sanding could give me their opinion on the matter.

From my understanding, people traditionally used 1-2 drops of dawn because it helped provide additional lubrication. My question is, could any soap be used or does it have to be dish soap? For instance, could I use a quality car soap like a few drops of hyper wash or optimum car wash? Even though they have gloss enhancers I don't believe they have wax? Personally, for the past 20-30 orange peel removal jobs I have only used D114 at the tradional 1:256 dilution and it seems to work, plus I don't worry about allowing it to dry on the paint and it's easier to remove. I tried to use ONR but I'm really fond of the sudsing action of d114 and N-914.

If anyone has any personal suggestions or advice I'd love to hear them. If there is a reason to use a drop of dish soap that I haven't considered I would love to know!!! Thanks!!

Mike Phillips

Re: Damp Sanding question

Quote Originally Posted by mwoywod View Post

From my understanding, people traditionally used 1-2 drops of dawn because it helped provide additional lubrication.
    It also helps to reduce clogging of papers or discs.

My question is, could any soap be used or does it have to be dish soap?
    Any soap.

The best soap used to be Meguiar's #00 as this was both a body shop safe soap and also low sudsing soap.

For instance, could I use a quality car soap like a few drops of hyper wash or optimum car wash?

I will tend to use whichever car wash soap is closest to my hand... just a few drops... otherwise when machine sanding you'll create frothy foamy suds. Not a big deal but you want to be able to see where you're sanding. Espeically raised body lines but a trick for these is to tape them off with a thin strip of painters tape or 3M blue vinyl tape.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Damp Sanding question

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    It also helps to reduce clogging of papers or discs.

Any soap.

The best soap used to be Meguiar's #00 as this was both a body shop safe soap and also low sudsing soap.

I will tend to use whichever car wash soap is closest to my hand... just a few drops... otherwise when machine sanding you'll create frothy foamy suds. Not a big deal but you want to be able to see where you're sanding. Espeically raised body lines but a trick for these is to tape them off with a thin strip of painters tape or 3M blue vinyl tape.

Mike, I can't thank you enough for taking the time to respond. I will try using a little bit of car soap instead tomorrow. The reason I prefer using a rinseless, like the new Mckee's 37 N-914 rinseless wash is because I feel like it's safer to allow it to dry on the paint. But if it's not providing adequate lubrication and reducing clogging like a car soap then I need to be using a traditional car soap.