autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

early 2000's white tacoma correction

Hey guys, i've got a white early 2000's Taco coming in for a paint correction. does anyone have a definitive answer whether these white tacomas are single stage? there's so much mixed info online

If so, i'm thinking the ol' go by FG400 might be too heavy... i'm thinking an AIO + hex logic orange or white might do all the cutting i need?

Griot's 6" DA btw

Mike Phillips

Re: early 2000's white tacoma correction

Since this is your first post to our forum...

Welcome to AutogeekOnline!

Mike Phillips

Here's my article on this topic....

How to Test for Single Stage or Clear Coat Paint

To test for a colored single stage paint, try to use a white polish and a white applicator or light colored applicator or cloth.

If you're testing white paint then try to use a polish with a color to it and a dark colored cloth. The reason for this is so you can confirm that you're removing white paint and not just seeing the color of the polish or the cloth.

If the cloth and polish are both white it will be hard to see paint pigment.

Use an ample amount for plenty of lubrication as you're going to want to push firmly if no oxidation is present as was the case with the finish on the classic car.

Confirmed, we're working on a single stage paint... also note the heavier accumulation were my fingers pressed down with the most pressure... this is because you can exert more pressure to the small area of your finger tips than you can with your entire hand, you can use this to work for you or cause problems depending upon what you're trying to do...

Mike Phillips

Testing white paint to see if it's single stage is a little trickier...

If you have any type of colored compound or polish use it with a dark colored cloth or applicator pad.

If all you have is white colored compounds and polishes you can still see white paint coming off just inspect closer.

This is from a few years ago,

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips

Over the summer I buffed out a 1956 Rolls Royce Silver Cloud and upon checking the panels we discovered all of the car to be clear-coated EXCEPT the Trunk Lid which was painted with a single stage white paint.

1956 Rolls Royce Silver Cloud - Clearcoat finish except the Trunk Lid which has single stage paint.
    (Photo taken in front of Bob Hopes first house in Palm Springs, California)

Here's what my buffing pad looked like after buffing the trunk lid. If you see the color of the paint
    on your car building up on the face of your buffing pad.

So whenever you're working on something important, to either you or your customer, and you're unsure of the paint type, take a few minutes to do a little testing.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by edub370 View Post

If so, i'm thinking the ol' go by FG400 might be too heavy... i'm thinking an AIO + hex logic orange or white might do all the cutting i need?
    Do a Test Spot and see which product gives you the best results for your time and effort. The FG400 will definitley cut more but if the oxidation is light then a quality AIO might do the trick in one step.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Mike! I guess i'll have to do a few test spots to see exactly what i need

Post Thanks / Like

Hi, welcome to AutoGeekOnline!

As Mike pointed out, a test spot will reveal what you are dealing with.

Post Thanks / Like

I'll try to help. My father has a 2004 white Tacoma.

early 2000's white tacoma correction-imageuploadedbyagonline1476837178-617797-jpg

Meguiars M100 inside the doorjamb for this test.

early 2000's white tacoma correction-imageuploadedbyagonline1476837369-726635-jpg

early 2000's white tacoma correction-imageuploadedbyagonline1476837410-245403-jpg

Heavy pressure, worked it in pretty good. This is what it looked like after.

early 2000's white tacoma correction-imageuploadedbyagonline1476837474-962211-jpg

This is after massaging it a bit with my finger.

early 2000's white tacoma correction-imageuploadedbyagonline1476837612-765325-jpg

I was a bit unsure TBO.. So I tested again. This time I simply spread the compound around with no pressure and checked to see how it looked on the applicator prior to working it in with pressure.. Notice how it looks just like when I finished rubbing it in. This leads me to believe it's just compound, and not paint coming off.

early 2000's white tacoma correction-imageuploadedbyagonline1476837779-190357-jpg

I buffed off with a clean portion of the applicator and there wasn't any noticeable white paint coming off.

My only dilemma now is that I think this test spot on the doorjamb may actually look a bit better than the exterior paint now

early 2000's white tacoma correction-imageuploadedbyagonline1476837970-632816-jpg

I did several more test spots inside the doorjamb. Same process of spreading it then buffing it clean with another part of the applicator. No paint coming off. Here's the applicator when I was done.

early 2000's white tacoma correction-imageuploadedbyagonline1476838091-317152-jpg

And after massaging it for just a few seconds with my finger it's nearly spotless. This makes my final call say this paint is not single stage. I could be wrong but it doesn't look like the typical single stage I've seen in the past.

early 2000's white tacoma correction-imageuploadedbyagonline1476838273-285550-jpg

Btw this paint is very easy to work on. LC White polishing pad/Megs D151 worked ok, but M205 did a better job of not only cleaning it, but leaving it more complete as far as swirl removal. And for the hardest hit areas like the roof and the hood, I used LC Orange foam cutting pad + Ultimate Compound. Perfect results. Hope this helps.